Thanks for everything again.

whacking out the discography + unplugged

R.I.P
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    god...i remember when he died...so sad :(
    Make sure you crank up Down In a Hole
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Not knowing who Layne was until after he died (I'm a youngster)...I truly do miss him and I am envious of anyone who had the privilege of seeing him perform live, or even just meeting or knowing him, he seemed like a really fun kind of guy.

R.I.P Layne!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Not knowing who Layne was until after he died (I'm a youngster)...I truly do miss him and I am envious of anyone who had the privilege of seeing him perform live, or even just meeting or knowing him, he seemed like a really fun kind of guy.

R.I.P Layne!

yeh im only 18 next month
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yeh im only 18 next month
    just goes to show good music does not discriminate :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    been a while now i guess, damn.
    rip.
  • R.I.P Layne..
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
    R.I.P Layne..
    *sings* and I feeeeeel it

love STP
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Rest in peace Layne :(

I'll never forget what your music has meant to me. I don't listen to Alice as much as I used to but I listen to Nutshell, River of Deceit and Rain When I Die every April 5th.

Everyone watch this. I dare you to not at least want to shed a tear.

http://www.anomic.net/tribute1.html
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    I remember exactly where I was when I heard Layne died. I was in grade 9 and just getting into Alice in Chains. I wrote in the Kurt Cobain thread that it's amazing how much more famous Kurt is than Layne. I've heard that AIC were bigger than Nirvana by the time Kurt killed himself. As Kurt said in his suicide note, I guess it really is better to burn out than fade away.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    even though the music was kinda dark and all, in interviews and stuff layne was such a jokester. i might have to pull out those old tv interviews today and watch them.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    pjfan85 wrote:
    I remember exactly where I was when I heard Layne died. I was in grade 9 and just getting into Alice in Chains. I wrote in the Kurt Cobain thread that it's amazing how much more famous Kurt is than Layne. I've heard that AIC were bigger than Nirvana by the time Kurt killed himself. As Kurt said in his suicide note, I guess it really is better to burn out than fade away.
    That's what really saddens me. Terrible as it was, Kurt's death was as rock n' roll as they come. He went out in his prime. Layne just lay there for weeks and no one even thought to come looking until the bank phoned to ask why he hadn't taken any money out. It's just horrible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    ...so sorry for Your death, Layne
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Such a tremendous loss. R.I.P Layne
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    Still such a terrible loss to his family, his friends and his fans...

Nowadays I always wonder where my life would've ended up had Layne lived. I was probably just as big/bigger AIC fan than PJ. After he died, I couldn't listen to them because I just got too sad and angry. I had always loved Pearl Jam, and their music kind of 'filled in' the sad hole AIC had left.

Meh.. not sure if this even adequately expresses how I feel, but today is always a bittersweet day.

If you haven't visited already, please check out:
    http://www.laynestaleyfund.com/

And if you're in Seattle this weekend in August, check out the Layne tribute: http://www.laynestaleyfund.com/tribute.html

Hello fellow Layne-Lovers & Supporters of LSF,

It’s time for some special announcements!

As most of you know, Layne Staley Fund holds an annual Tribute & Benefit concert each August to raise funds for heroin & drug recovery and to celebrate Layne’s birthday with fans, family & friends.

The 7th Annual Layne Staley Tribute & Benefit Concert will be held on Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 in Seattle, Washington at the Showbox SoDo located at 1700 1st Avenue South. This event will be all ages and bar with id.

Bands performing and ticket information will be announced in the near future. If you’ve attended one of our Tributes in the past, you know it’s a lot more than a kick-ass rock concert! We take extra care to ensure that it’s an intimate, spiritual experience that transmits our message of hope to everyone in attendance by having special guests and segments held throughout the evening. We also hold raffles, silent auctions, and our merchandise booth sells the Official LSF Tribute Poster, T-shirt and Calendar that we design specifically for the event. So it’s time to start making your plans to attend now!

But that’s not all, dear friends! Here’s another announcement:

Due to the popularity of our pre-show parties held the evening before the annual Tribute Concert, LSF decided to fully incorporate the pre-show party into the annual Layne Tribute festivities. It has now become a Layne Staley Tribute Weekend!

The Layne Staley Fund Pre-Show Event will be held on Friday, August 22nd, 2008 in Seattle, Washington. The venue and performers at this event will be announced soon.

And now, for the icing on top of Layne’s birthday cake:

Since our pre-show event is being held on Layne’s birthday this year, we are planning to hold a special vigil before the pre-show on Friday, August 22nd, 2008 called the CHAIN for LAYNE at the very spot where the first vigil for Layne was held - the Seattle Center International Fountain. This will be a free, all ages gathering and we will give away a commemorative Chain for Layne button to the first 500 L’Angels in attendance.

Are you getting excited yet?! Keep checking this MySpace page for more information - we will announce more details as they become available.

We’ll also post this and future announcements on the Tribute page of our LSF website (http://www.laynestaleyfund.com). There’s information on our site for those traveling to Seattle so you can plan your trip more easily.

See you at our Layne Staley Tribute Weekend celebration in August!
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Thanks Layne Staley.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    My pain is self-chosen
    At least, so The Prophet says
    I could either burn
    Or cut off my pride and buy some time
    A head full of lies is the weight, tied to my waist

The River of Deceit pulls down, oh oh
    The only direction we flow is down
    Down, oh down
    Down, oh down
    Down, oh down
    Down, oh down

My pain is self-chosen
    At least I believe it to be
    I could either drown
    Or pull off my skin and swim to shore
    Now I can grow a beautiful shell for all to see

The River of Deceit pulls down, yeah
    The only direction we flow is down
    Down, oh down
    Down, oh down
    Down, oh down
    Down, oh down

The pain is self-chosen, yeah
    Our pain is self-chosen
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Miss ya man!
    Thanks for the music.
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    He had a helluva talent. Very sad demise.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    That's what really saddens me. Terrible as it was, Kurt's death was as rock n' roll as they come. He went out in his prime. Layne just lay there for weeks and no one even thought to come looking until the bank phoned to ask why he hadn't taken any money out. It's just horrible.
    Really? thats a cunt!! Remember headbanging to Sickman back in the day at school....
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    RIP layne. you were the best. you will never be forgotten.
  • Gone but not forgotten.
    This date took two fine frontmen. and the world of music has suffered since.