Chris Cornell - Postponed European Tour & New Album Info

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Tue Apr 15 '08
Postponed European Tour & New Album Info

CHRIS CORNELL POSTPONES EUROPEAN TOUR UNTIL FALL 2008

THIRD SOLO ALBUM PRODUCED BY TIMBALAND DUE OUT IN SEPTEMBER ON MOSLEY MUSIC / INTERSCOPE RECORDS

Los Angeles, CA – Pioneering rock singer/songwriter Chris Cornell has postponed his upcoming European Tour, originally slated to begin in Holland on May 31st, until the Fall. The acclaimed, multi-platinum former lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave is holed up in the studio with super producer Timbaland, continuing work on his third solo CD, tentatively slated for a September 2008 release on Interscope Records.

Having already laid down 14 tracks for the forthcoming disc, Timbaland has called his collaboration with Cornell “his best work ever.”

“Due to an extended recording schedule, I will be able to perform in front of my European fans a few months later than expected. With that said, I plan on touring extensively through Europe and the rest of the world through 2008-2009,” said Cornell.

Click here for a special message from Chris.

http://www.chriscornell.com

imo its great news as i wasnt gonna pay hundreds of pounds to see cornell at a crappy festival. And being the frontman in one of my fave bands it hurt me not to be able to see him. But now he can do a proper tour as he wont be touring around the festival season

woooow

hmm new solo album better be good... anythings better than carry shite
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wow, welcome to 11 days ago.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    wow, welcome to 11 days ago.

meh i didn't see it on here

my friend just told me cornell wasn't at download festival so i thought hmm weird so i checked his site.

if you havent got anything worth saying. Just dont bother spamming my thread please.
  • who is spamming?

it's on like the 3rd or 4th page. we already started talked about it.

11 days ago.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Cornell and Timbaland?I'm curious....just hope Timbaland doesn't actually appear on it though.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • PearlsGirlPearlsGirl Posts: 257
    well, I still love the guy, so it looks like I'll be seeing him this fall. Wish he would stop with the whole selling out crap, he's brilliant.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Carlos D wrote:
    Cornell and Timbaland?I'm curious....just hope Timbaland doesn't actually appear on it though.
    Timbaland's gonna bring Chris' writing skills into a new level that Chris has never even thought about...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWg3IMN_rhU
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • The thing with Timbo and Cornell is everyone is expecting Timbo to do the same pop stuff he's been doing? Why doesn't anyone think he's going to try and challenge himself with something new aka Rick Rubin and try and take his name to another level? I'm expecting that we'll be surprised when some of these tracks come out...
  • The thing with Timbo and Cornell is everyone is expecting Timbo to do the same pop stuff he's been doing? Why doesn't anyone think he's going to try and challenge himself with something new aka Rick Rubin and try and take his name to another level? I'm expecting that we'll be surprised when some of these tracks come out...

Precisely - people forget Tim's also worked with people like Bjork (on Volta).
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    LongRd. wrote:
    Timbaland's gonna bring Chris' writing skills into a new level that Chris has never even thought about...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWg3IMN_rhU

lol
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • docwoo812docwoo812 Posts: 60
    Gotta wonder what's going on with Chris Cornell. I was really disappointed with the last album & his touring band. Don't get me wrong. Chris could sing every name in the phone book and it would sound amazing. And he did put on a hell of a show at the Borgata with a killer set list (except for no "Seasons"!?). But he seems to be trying to go commercial with the Timbaland move. Don't know if that will help him gain new fans or just piss off his old fans. The lyrics on his 2nd solo album were weak compared to his previous work (Audioslave, Soundgarden, etc.) and his band was just a bunch of young studio guys.

How cool would it have been for him to open for Pearl Jam on the summer tour?

Soundgarden:
    08/04/92 Lollapalooza '92 - Saratoga, NY
    08/07/92 Lollapalooza '92 - Great Woods
    09/08/92 Lollapalooza '92 - Phoenix, AZ
    08/18/93 Toronto, Canada w/Neil Young, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam & Blues Traveler
    6/14/94 Rochester, NY

Audioslave:
    11/01/05 Hartford, CT

Chris Cornell:
    7/27/07 Borgata, Atlantic City, NJ
    Pearl Jam Shows: 11/05/91, 11/08/91, 11/16/91, 4/08/92, 5/09/92, 8/04/92, 8/07/92, 9/08/92, 8/18/93, 11/06/93, 11/07/93, 4/07/94, 4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/13/98, 8/27/00, 4/29/03, 5/02/03, 6/29/03, 7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/06/03, 7/11/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/01/04, 10/02/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/20/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/03/06, 8/05/07, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/10/10, 5/21/10, 9/07/11, 9/12/11, 9/14/11 & 9/15/11.
    Side Projects/Solo Shows: Brad 10/27/02, Eddie Vedder: 8/2/08, 6/8 & 6/9/09, 6/16/11 & 6/18/11.
  • docwoo812 wrote:
    The lyrics on his 2nd solo album were weak compared to his previous work (Audioslave, Soundgarden, etc.) and his band was just a bunch of young studio guys.

why do you think the lyrics were weak? Examples? I thought some of the lyrics on Carry On were among the strongest he's ever written. Especially "Disappearing Act", "Killing Birds", "No Such Thing". Metaphorically complex, multi-layered, full of darkness and intrigue. Pretty much vintage Cornell in fact. I think a lot of the problem with the way Carro On was perceived was down to the arrangements: Steve Lillywhite made them sound fairly poppy and upbeat when in many cases the songs' content was anything but. I found that an interesting dichotomy - it challenged the listener, like reading the word "red" written in green ink. ;) But I think some people found it confusing.

As for the band.....well, I wouldn't call them young (guitarist Yogi's in his late thirties I think) but I would call them fucking excellent musicians, far better that the guys in Audioslave, for example. They played some of those older songs with far more feel and sensuality.
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • why do you think the lyrics were weak? Examples? I thought some of the lyrics on Carry On were among the strongest he's ever written. Especially "Disappearing Act", "Killing Birds", "No Such Thing". Metaphorically complex, multi-layered, full of darkness and intrigue. Pretty much vintage Cornell in fact. I think a lot of the problem with the way Carro On was perceived was down to the arrangements: Steve Lillywhite made them sound fairly poppy and upbeat when in many cases the songs' content was anything but. I found that an interesting dichotomy - it challenged the listener, like reading the word "red" written in green ink. ;) But I think some people found it confusing.

As for the band.....well, I wouldn't call them young (guitarist Yogi's in his late thirties I think) but I would call them fucking excellent musicians, far better that the guys in Audioslave, for example. They played some of those older songs with far more feel and sensuality.

The lyrics in No Such thing are cringe worthy and this coming from a die hard Cornell fan. There are moments of greatness but its just not consistent enough.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    why do you think the lyrics were weak? Examples? I thought some of the lyrics on Carry On were among the strongest he's ever written. Especially "Disappearing Act", "Killing Birds", "No Such Thing". Metaphorically complex, multi-layered, full of darkness and intrigue. Pretty much vintage Cornell in fact. I think a lot of the problem with the way Carro On was perceived was down to the arrangements: Steve Lillywhite made them sound fairly poppy and upbeat when in many cases the songs' content was anything but. I found that an interesting dichotomy - it challenged the listener, like reading the word "red" written in green ink. ;) But I think some people found it confusing.

Better than Audioslave musicians? We'll agree to disagree on that one I think. The guys from Rage were fine in Audioslave, but to really see what they're capable of, it's Rage itself that shines.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I am pretty disappointed.
    He cancelled the 2007 show in Budapest (some days before the Sziget Festival)
    and now he cancels the entire European tour. (he was one of the acts that convinced me to get a ticket to Nova Rock Festival as well)
    Now I shouldn't start bitchin about his second solo album...
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • The lyrics in No Such thing are cringe worthy and this coming from a die hard Cornell fan. There are moments of greatness but its just not consistent enough.

Now that's interesting. I work as a writer and used to be a high school English teacher, so words are really important to me. For me, "No such Thing" is one of the best and most complex lyrics he's written. I discussed that song with him when I interviewed him last year and from what he said, I seemed to be on the right lines with it. Why cringeworthy?

Just out of interest, here's the bit out of my interview which includes what he said:
    So that's the video, but what of the song? Rocky Kolb, the American physicist, wrote that "the laws of the universe tell you that if you start out with truly nothing, this is unstable and will decay into something. The universe is inevitable. Nothing cannot exist forever". As a scientific rejection of nihilism, that's fairly succinct. Was Cornell thinking along the same lines ?

"Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. It's just taking the math out of a social situation, or humanity, which I think we kind of do. If you're not moving forward, then you're moving backward, if you're not satisfied then you're dissatisfied; if you're not wealthy you're poor. You know the kind of thing; humans don't tend to flatline. I don't think we do, I don't think we coast. I don't think people necessarily, by their own nature, tend to be complacent. I mean you might go through periods where you're complacent, but I don't think that's our point. I don't think that's the point of our existence really, I don't think that's human nature. I think we're in motion and it's going to be one way or another, it's not just going to be down the middle."

However, if we're not running down the middle, then sooner or later we're going to hit one or other extreme - and as Cornell further explains, "the whole thought process came about from trying to figure out what would be in the mind of a suicide bomber. I guess it's pretty simple, you know. If somebody doesn't value their own life, I don't know how you expect them to value someone else's. And in a weird way - not to say that I condone it - but I do at least understand that thought process, and that's really all I was trying to do, trying to understand how it could happen."

Suicide bombers often consider themselves warriors in the service of an ideal, though, however outlandish that might seem - and it's not every murderer who thinks along those lines. "If it's something like serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, that type of a person, there is no understanding, that's a fucking crazy person and all you need to understand is that they're nuts and things are not there that are supposed to be there, or things are there that are not supposed to be there," insists Cornell. "There's something wrong, but it's not normal, it's a sickness."

But not every case is as clear-cut. "There's always that argument, you know, this kid at Virginia Tech that shot 32 people, was he crazy? Or was he just really acutely depressed and disenfranchised? I don't know. Probably crazy."

As always in the aftermath of an atrocity, theories and counter-theories fly and everyone's looking for explanations. "I think he was nuts," concludes Cornell. "I think with carnage like that which is so horrible, everybody wants to be able to be mad at someone … but you almost have to look at it like these people got hit by a bus, or a plane crashed. It's a tragedy, an accident. Because this kid probably was an accident of nature, something was wrong in his brain and he snapped. And it wasn't that someone was lax, and it wasn't that he's evil, and it wasn't that the gun store sold guns, it wasn't any of that, it was simply that his brain didn't work. But I don't know that, you know, that's just what I imagine. Maybe it's easier for me to imagine that, instead of imagining that someone could be that bad."
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • As usual its the typical cornell debate.
    Its great to hear the album is heading in the right direction.
    But honestly Chris has just grown all to comfortable with being careless when it comes to his fans, he is no rookie, he either should have made better decisions with booking the dates or went out of his way to fufill them. I look foward to Chris's music, but it just hasnt been great for me to sit hear and give him a free pass. As far as this being old news, some people dont have the time to read everyday or scroll back to stay on top of things.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows