Totally loving Black Sabbath stuff 1970-79.. other bands like them?

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Im totally digging this like stone/blue rock. I love that old school sound, the rawness of the guitar and the drum sounds oh and the immense jams !! I listened to everything they released between 1970-79 today it was that good,

Are there any other bands like them from the 1970s.. Im a big fan of modern stoner like Kyuss etc but i wondered if there were any other bands like them in the 70s? I think Bakerloo are like them, they are from Birmingham too..

recomendations?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Blue Cheer. they were around before Sabbath and are still around today.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Older Bands...
    Blue Cheer
    Some of Cream's stuff

Modern Bands...
    Priestess
    Queens of the Stone Age (self titled, Rated R and Songs for the Deaf)
    Wolfmother
    The Sword
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Older Bands...
    Blue Cheer
    Some of Cream's stuff

Modern Bands...
    Priestess
    Queens of the Stone Age (self titled, Rated R and Songs for the Deaf)
    Wolfmother
    The Sword

wow you know the sword?

saw them few months back, saw qotsa few weeks back too
  • The Ozzy era of Sabbath is amazing.
  • The Ozzy era of Sabbath is amazing.

absolutely amazing. cannot be topped.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,224
    What about Saint Vitus? They were 80s and definitely Sabbath-influenced. If you're listening to Kyuss, should I assume you're also familiar with Sleep? 90s, but worth mentioning in case you're not aware of them. Or any band to release an album in the last three years with "Witch" in their name.
    ya i know sleep
  • hows about a nice bit of Deep Purple - quality 70's rock (bit cheese in places but superb nonetheless ;)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ya i know sleep
    Electric Wizard?

oh, also if you don't mind lengthy instrumentals (like 20 mins) you might dig Boris or Sunn O)))

Sunn O))) can be kind of boring but Boris are awesome.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Electric Wizard?

oh, also if you don't mind lengthy instrumentals (like 20 mins) you might dig Boris or Sunn O)))

Sunn O))) can be kind of boring but Boris are awesome.

ya i know all the bands you mentioned ;p

thats more like doom stoner - cant remember the correct term
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ya i know all the bands you mentioned ;p

thats more like doom stoner - cant remember the correct term
    yeah I know, just figured if you like stoner rock then you might dig some Doom too :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Boris is awesome. saw them in Philly last year, i think it was.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Budgie
    Pentagram
    Both around in the 70's
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
    Witchcraft
  • pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    Kyuss

Fu Manchu
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Then: Leaf Hound (check out Growers of Mushroom)

Now: Witch

Not at all metal - more like prog/folk-ish, but you should check out Comus (First Utterance). And yeah, like others have suggested, get into some Deep Purple for sure.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!