Radiohead Fans are Going to Crucify Me

btb002btb002 Posts: 183
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Radiohead is my third favorite band behind Pearl Jam and Pavement; and to me, they can't do wrong. That being said, In Rainbows, after Bodysnatchers, is really minimum. Its grown up. But at times it feels like nothing is there, for me. Starting with track 3 (Nude) and ending at 8 (House of Cards), the songs sort of blend together for me, and there really isn't a standout. Well Faust Arp is beautiful and always grabs my attention. Everything else is sort of like background music. Sweet, but nothing alarming. No Just. No I Might Be Wrong. Like I said, nothing alarming. So pretty much I did a redux including songs from the second disc, and here's what I ended up with:

15 Steps
Bodysnatchers
Nude
Down Is the New Up*
Weird Fishes
All I Need
Up the Ladder*
Faust Arp
Bangers and Mash*
Reckoner
House of Cards
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
4 Minute Warning

I stayed as true to the original as possible, but I just needed that reassurance that it was still there and the three songs, to me, makes it something more to my liking, and not just a "in the mood CD." Also I had to change the last song because Videotape ran hand and hand with the overall sweetness of the original 10 tracks, and 4 Minute Warning is a lot more edgier and suportive of the *new louder album I stitched together.

Opinions?
You are just a negative mindless pud.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• All I Need is an awesome song as are Nude and Reckoner. This is the first Radiohead record I've liked since OK Computer.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    No worries,
    I'm still not used to In Rainbows either.
    It took me three years to
    realized Kid A was a masterpiece.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    you know what i've always wanted to say about radiohead?

OK Computer is over rated!

I LOVE RADIOHEAD! but i just don't understand why people say this is like the greatest album ever. i tried giving it a listen the other day to see if i was forgetting something but nope... i stopped it and put something else on. IMO Kid A and In Rainbows are far superior to OK Computer. i think i had In Rainbows on repeat for like a month.. listened to other stuff for a while, got the In Rainbows box set, added the second disc and then listened to In Rainbows for another month=p

whatever though.. to each his own i guess.
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    lephty wrote:
    you know what i've always wanted to say about radiohead?

OK Computer is over rated!

I LOVE RADIOHEAD! but i just don't understand why people say this is like the greatest album ever. i tried giving it a listen the other day to see if i was forgetting something but nope... i stopped it and put something else on. IMO Kid A and In Rainbows are far superior to OK Computer. i think i had In Rainbows on repeat for like a month.. listened to other stuff for a while, got the In Rainbows box set, added the second disc and then listened to In Rainbows for another month=p

whatever though.. to each his own i guess.

Initially, I was a way bigger fan of The Bends. But this past year, something just clicked, and I was appreciating the timeliness of all the beeps and other sounds. I think listening to it with headphones helped a great deal too. I personally found I could hear a lot more of the layers. Ok Computer is probably my favorite album of all-time now. It may have just passed Automatic for the People as my most listened to.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    maybe with some HQ headphones it would be worth giving OK Computer another chance at claiming its awesomeness over the other radiohead albums i like way more.

i dunno.. its not that i am saying its a bad album, but personally, i don't think its radioheads best, and for people to say that its one of the greatest albums ever just boggles my mind.

if i was given a choice to listen to either In Rainbows or OK Computer, i would choose In Rainbows.

guess i am crazy=p
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    there's a second disc?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    brainofPJ wrote:
    there's a second disc?

yah you had to buy the disc box, which was like 70 bucks or something. it came with the extra disc, a vinyl version of in rainbows, artwork, some other shit. i got the songs from my friend. they are so fucking good.
    btb002 wrote:
    Radiohead is my third favorite band behind Pearl Jam and Pavement; and to me, they can't do wrong. That being said, In Rainbows, after Bodysnatchers, is really minimum. Its grown up. But at times it feels like nothing is there, for me. Starting with track 3 (Nude) and ending at 8 (House of Cards), the songs sort of blend together for me, and there really isn't a standout. Well Faust Arp is beautiful and always grabs my attention. Everything else is sort of like background music. Sweet, but nothing alarming. No Just. No I Might Be Wrong. Like I said, nothing alarming. So pretty much I did a redux including songs from the second disc, and here's what I ended up with:

15 Steps
    Bodysnatchers
    Nude
    Down Is the New Up*
    Weird Fishes
    All I Need
    Up the Ladder*
    Faust Arp
    Bangers and Mash*
    Reckoner
    House of Cards
    Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    4 Minute Warning

I stayed as true to the original as possible, but I just needed that reassurance that it was still there and the three songs, to me, makes it something more to my liking, and not just a "in the mood CD." Also I had to change the last song because Videotape ran hand and hand with the overall sweetness of the original 10 tracks, and 4 Minute Warning is a lot more edgier and suportive of the *new louder album I stitched together.

Opinions?

its a good list, but you are missing my favorite of the bonus songs, last flowers!
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I like House of Cards and All I Need, the rest I can't really get in to.
    yah you had to buy the disc box, which was like 70 bucks or something. it came with the extra disc, a vinyl version of in rainbows, artwork, some other shit. i got the songs from my friend. they are so fucking good.

ah great.

so there's no other way to get these songs?

brainofPJ wrote:
    ah great.

so there's no other way to get these songs?

not that i know of. i mean, i can send them to you if you tell me how to, cuz i really dont know how to do any of that shit.
    not that i know of. i mean, i can send them to you if you tell me how to, cuz i really dont know how to do any of that shit.

how many songs are on the second disc?...

total?

brainofPJ wrote:
    how many songs are on the second disc?...

total?

8, but 2 of them are like minute long interludes.
    8, but 2 of them are like minute long interludes.

cool...

i found it online.

brainofPJ wrote:
    cool...

i found it online.

where? just out of curiousity
    where? just out of curiousity

BTjunkie...a torrent site.

but i also just checked and it's still for sale at inrainbows.com.

brainofPJ wrote:
    BTjunkie...a torrent site.

but i also just checked and it's still for sale at inrainbows.com.

interesting...oh well. be sure to post your thoughts.
    interesting...oh well. be sure to post your thoughts.

hmm, i wonder if i can purchase this at bestbuy or a local record store...

anyway, i will post thoughts...i'm one who has really liked all of their work...even from the beginning. yea, there are some weak songs at times but Radiohead albums as a whole, imo, are always great.

brainofPJ wrote:
    hmm, i wonder if i can purchase this at bestbuy or a local record store...

anyway, i will post thoughts...i'm one who has really liked all of their work...even from the beginning. yea, there are some weak songs at times but Radiohead albums as a whole, imo, are always great.

you won't be disappointed.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Between track 3 and track 8 is the best stretch of music of 2007.

Nude, All I Need and Reckoner do not "blend" together, they are beautiful. Mellow does not equal inconsequential.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    so far, House of Cards is my favorite track. love the part where he sings "the infrastructure will collapse and the voltages spikes..." (paraphrasing). bodysnatchers and reckoner are quite good as well. Weird Fish is up there for me as well. Can't wait to see 'em in Tampa.
    Live Free or Die!
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against tracks 3-8 on In Rainbows. To me they just don't vary enough. I like the loud/soft dynamic, and my favorite songs of theirs is of the Airbag, Paranoid Android, and Just variety. So adding the likes of Bangers and Mash and Up on the Ladder, not only make the album more listenable from a standpoint from my taste, but also makes the orginal midsection standout more.

Last Flowers is without a doubt my favorite song on the second disc (completely disproving what I said above). I just couldn't find a way to insert it, and 14 songs is like the start of a tipping point for me when albums are concerned. It also struck me as an end of album song. And there was three of those. 4 Minute Warning I felt was better suited for what I was going for.

I also did the same for the obviously bloated Stadium Arcadium.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Between track 3 and track 8 is the best stretch of music of 2007.

2007 was a bad year for music, but NOT that bad.

Radiohead are are boring middle class wankers peddling there 'arty' music for people to fawn over, and Radiohead fans are the worse fans of any bands spewing annoying Hyberbole that the above quote.

On saying that The Bends & Ok Computer were good album :)
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Between track 3 and track 8 is the best stretch of music of 2007

comments like this make me despise Radiohead (although i don't).
    "best stretch of music released 2007"????

go listen to dinosaur jr (beyond) and come apologise. ;)
    seriously, "in rainbows" is average at best.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick