My Newspaper Article Reviewing "In Rainbows" Disc 2 for My School

btb002btb002 Posts: 183
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I don't think I've ever been this musically duped before. Before Radiohead unleashed In Rainbows on the internet, all we heard was how the up and coming album had some of the most terrifying and disturbing lyrics of any Radiohead album to date. Yet when millions feasted upon it, they were greeted with songs that sorta resembled love songs. Songs like "Nude," "Reckoner," "Jigsaw Falling Into Place," and the closer "Videotape" hardly featured lyrics that were " terrifying and disturbing." In Rainbows was just simply a beautiful album. "Because I know today has been/The most perfect day I've ever seen."

The fact that people were allowed to sit with this pretty image for so long, only makes the second side, now appearing on the internet, even more gut wrenching. In case you forgot it, MK1, the opening track, is a small instrumental that reverberates "Videotape." All the beauty of the first album back in your head, Thom Yorke knocks the wind out of you with the dissatisfied grunt that kicks off "Down is the New." Funkier and livelier than anything on the first side, it rivals anything found on the first disc. Yorke is fully aware of the change in attitude, "What if I just flip-flopped?" He sings. Indeed, down is the new up on this side. Not to mention the foreshadowing, "Nothing happens without a warning." "Go Slowly" is reminiscent of Ok Computer's "No Surprises," just more slower and the depression is amped. The song sounds like in any moment it'll burst out in a full fledge anthem. The acoustic guitar kicks in. Thom is singing, "There's a way out." But the hope dies with the hope of the song reaching anthem status. "Mk2," is another instrumental. Sounds like a distorted, futuristic world just mocking any hope. Then we come along a pure Radiohead gem that just might be Yorke's finest hour. The track starts off with just Yorke and his piano. He's never seemed so fragile in a recording. And you feel the pain when his voice breaks briefly. As he sings for relief, he's greeted with an acoustic guitar. Fake Plastic Trees meets Karma Police. Probably their finest song ever. "Up on the Ladder," raises the stakes, and the full band shows up. The song is similar to Amnesiacs, "I Might Be Wrong," but itself is less frantic. A definite leg tapper, and sure head bopper. "Bangers and Mash," is the most out of place song. It's disc two's answer to "Reckoner." Though through and through a solid song, it seems just a bit out of place on this disc. "4 Minute Warning," is the warning in "Down is the New Up." The song is a first hand account of a man with 4 minutes until a Nuclear War.

All in all, including the wait between disc, and the notion that this was a beautiful Radiohead, you can't but hold In Rainbows as an all-time achievement up there with past rock Gods. Even if it was in delivery alone. You'll always remember disc one as being pretty, and you'll always remember disc two for following through with the terrifying and disturbing lyrics that were promised. In Rainbows, as a whole, is a full display of two emotions. And each emotion has a memorable climax. With no other album that can compete with this array of feelings, I vouch that this album is the greatest one released in my lifetime.

5 Stars.

And yes I stayed home on a Friday night to download it and devour it. That's dedication. Specially to a band that was prior, at best my third favorite. Now, I don't know.