Options

Smashing Pumpkins

Cropduster49Cropduster49 Posts: 102
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I have been completely obsessed with this band lately.
YOU CAN'T BE NEUTRAL ON A MOVING TRAIN.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Yeh i listen to their hits album alot....hopefully they do reunite for a tour.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    There must be a thousand SP appreciation threads on this board. Can't either of you use a search key?
  • Options
    too bad this band couldnt fight their inner demons..........they were brilliant.

My fav....tonight, tonight/cherub rocks/today/perfect
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
    my pearl jam page

Me too. I'm not sure why. maybe it has something to do with a lot of shit music lately and my love for the 90's again ; )
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    I love the Pumpkins but there's loads of good stuff out there at the moment. It's just that there's so much music today, you've got so many crap 'artists' trying to make a buck. There really is so much though.
  • Options
    As I stated in the Coachella thread, it was reported on Q101 that they are hoping for a Lollapalooza show in Chicago to re-unite for... rumors, rumors, truth?
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    was in a Pumpkins mood 3 weeks back as well...listened to nothing but Adore and TAFH boxset
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    I am constantly going in and out of phases of infacuation with this band....Siamese Dream is an amazing album any way your slice it.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have a friend who is a big pumpkins fan and he mentioned some have speculated they are secretly back together already and working on a new album that will be released next month......

This is rumor mind you not fact.

Evidently on BIlly's website he keeps talking about a big surprise for everyone next month.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=47763

Apparently there is some movement in the Pumpkins reunion camp... although it is a blabbermouth report, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, it would appear something is happening with that whole reuinion thing.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    I honestly dont know why people bag on music at the moment. If you skim that nasty film off the top thats all the music that is popular. Your 50 Cent, Nickelback etc, etc. All the crap music thats out there. Take that shit out and there are people pushing the envelope as much or more than any period, aside from the late 60s early 70s.

You have the Mars Volta. The best trippy band since the days of Floyd. My Morning Jacket, while keepin it pretty rootsy has a pretty unique sound. All the while, you've got veterans like PJ, Tool and Radihead comin out with new albums. PJ could surprise alotta people and with rock returnin to the radio a little more could get some serious airplay. Tool and Radiohead will sell as good or better than any of the popular rock bands now. All in all music is in a pretty good state. Lets enjoy it while it lasts and hope that it will keep gettin better.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I heard that the surprise would be that Billy is bald.

Not really...that's just a rumor. ;)
  • Options
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    well, did anyone read this?

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001956802

it's happening, but w/o James and D'arcy it seems. :(
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    well, did anyone read this?

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001956802

it's happening, but w/o James and D'arcy it seems. :(

I have mixed feelings about this, as I have been saying since the news first broke that he wanted to get the band back together. I mean it was never a secret that Billy WAS the Smashing Pumpkins, there was very little that he didn't have complete control over in that band. But it does seem a bit odd, after recording an album with one band (in which he pretty much had complete control), then a solo record (which he of course wrote all by himself), now to just basically go back in the studio with Jimmy (yet again) and make another record by himself and simply put the Pumpkins brand on it. It kind of comes off as more of a marketing move than anything else. I don't know, like I said, mixed feelings. Love the music, love the songs, but I am kind of getting tired of Billy's back and forth on everything.

Just shut the hell up and make good songs, to most people it won't matter what you call yourself if the music is good. It's not even like we can accuse him of a cash grab, the guys got the money to do whatever he wants for the rest of his life. Make the music you want to make and stop worrying about what the logo on the T-shirt is going to say.
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about this, as I have been saying since the news first broke that he wanted to get the band back together. I mean it was never a secret that Billy WAS the Smashing Pumpkins, there was very little that he didn't have complete control over in that band. But it does seem a bit odd, after recording an album with one band (in which he pretty much had complete control), then a solo record (which he of course wrote all by himself), now to just basically go back in the studio with Jimmy (yet again) and make another record by himself and simply put the Pumpkins brand on it. It kind of comes off as more of a marketing move than anything else. I don't know, like I said, mixed feelings. Love the music, love the songs, but I am kind of getting tired of Billy's back and forth on everything.

Just shut the hell up and make good songs, to most people it won't matter what you call yourself if the music is good. It's not even like we can accuse him of a cash grab, the guys got the money to do whatever he wants for the rest of his life. Make the music you want to make and stop worrying about what the logo on the T-shirt is going to say.

W/ billy though, i think his born-again christian phase may have run its course and now he's ready to get back to making his normal music again. Or maybe he's just bored and feels like making some money. Either way i'm glad SP is getting back together (at least 50-75% anyway).
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    Its kinda sucks that I only got into them after they broke up. Better late than never. Bring on the reunion!!
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I think that a lot of people discount the contributions of James Iha and D'acry. sure, maybe they didn't write much of the SP material, but their playing...at least in the live shows i saw, was very important to the vibe of the band.

It would be unfortunate if they weren't into reforming. James is probably running his label...and it's odd that he's in another band in which the music is written mostly by one guy (Billy Howerdel), though Billy H does seem to be less of a control freak...or if he is a control freak, it's played down considerably. I think that he's not though...consider that he was a one-time SP tech, NIN tech, and I believe Tool tech...while all of these guys were blowing up, he was in the shadows with APC music bouncing around in his head...and nowhere to play it. That teaches you humility...believe me.

Sorry to ramble. I would love for this to come to pass. Too much shit music on the airwaves today. The worst Pumpkins song is uually twice as good as the stuff we get today.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is disapointing James and D'arcy will not be involved and as you mentioned i'm sure live they will be a notch below, but i have to think that in the Studio Billy was the driving force of most of their albums and it should be pretty solid.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Well, there's not a thing that would last forever. am just happy they existed. Love my SP moods.....Soma is my all time favourit
    En mi vida,
    el oscuro me mantiene
    cuando yo te vi
    en la lluvia me prometiste tu sangre

Estrella de la mañana
    Samael te persigo a ti
    y si me quedo sin alas
    ademas me muero por ti
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    SP just own, especially jimmy, his drumming is surreal
  • Options
    i've been completely obsessed for....

why.. must be over two years :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    It is disapointing James and D'arcy will not be involved and as you mentioned i'm sure live they will be a notch below, but i have to think that in the Studio Billy was the driving force of most of their albums and it should be pretty solid.
    that's not for sure...

D'arcy probably won't show.. but we have Mellissa Auf Dem Maur :)

I'd say there's a decent chance for James though... hopefully.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I think there's a chance for all of them to get back together but it sounds like just Corgan and Jimmy. Wasn't Jimmy in Zwan as well? Or am I wrong on that. In any case, I was disappointed with what I read in the Billboard article. If it's really only going to be Jimmy and Corgan they should name it something else.
    4-23-03 Champaign
    6-21-03 Alpine Valley
    9-9-05 Thunder Bay
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I think there's a chance for all of them to get back together but it sounds like just Corgan and Jimmy. Wasn't Jimmy in Zwan as well? Or am I wrong on that. In any case, I was disappointed with what I read in the Billboard article. If it's really only going to be Jimmy and Corgan they should name it something else.

Yep. Jimmy was also in Zwan. Billy and Jimmy have guest on each of their solo albums, so there is NO big surprise there that they would eventually get together.

I also read another article, from MTV.com, that Melissa would LOVE to play bass w/the Pumpkins, but even she said that it should be D'arcy playing bass.:) I thought that was cool of her to say that. :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn