Do you get burned out from concerts?

dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I've seen alot of concerts in the past 4 years or so. Probably not as many as some of you on here, but I have seen alot. I think I need to take a break though. They're becomming less special, and I don't seem to get the same excitement out of them anymore. I mean, i'll still go see some bands, but I think i'm going to take a break from seeing every band I like who comes through the area.

Does this happen to anyone else??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nope. I thrive on live music.
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I think it's the exact opposite for me. I go to a lot of concerts and I do get burned out physically from them at times. But every time I go to a concert it leaves me anticipating the next one.
  • PJ Pook wrote:
    I think it's the exact opposite for me. I go to a lot of concerts and I do get burned out physically from them at times. But every time I go to a concert it leaves me anticipating the next one.
    +1
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    PJ Pook wrote:

Yeah when I get home wooh! am I exhausted. And the whole thing with not being able to hear for the next few days sucks but it's all part of the concert experience. I remember coming back from the Garden after seeing Audioslave (and I was 13 at the time) and I was just lying down in my bed reliving the whole experience as it was playing through my head. The next day in class I couldn't hear a thing and it was great. It's like listening to the band's music on a continuous loop just playing over and over in your head. I'm definately just getting into concerts!
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I never saw PJ more than twice in a tour until Riot Act where I saw 3 in a row, I was fried by Indy and really didn't enjoy it that much despite awesome seats.

This last tour I saw 6 shows an loved everyone of them! I was really skeptikal about seeing 2 Chicago and 2 Milwaukee so close due to the past expreience, but they were all amazing shows.

I think it has more to do with how much you are into the current album more than anything. I was so pumped to see Avocado live....it was impossible to feel burned out.The band such a great job of making every concert different an unique now with such a big catalog no two shows ever seem the same now.

you know what I also brought ear plugs for the first time to Chicago 1 and 2 and it made such a difference in not feeling so damn deaf either. I wore them for most of MMJ and could hear just fine, I took them out for PJ.
  • If anything I get bummed out when there is none coming in the future. The way it is now. :( No such thing as too many live shows...as someone else said here, I thrive on live music.
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I like to to see live shows, but don't go too ofter. I like the expectation & the excitement of waiting to go, just as much as the shows themselves!
    Managed 7 this last 12 months.
    Mike Patton's Peeping Tom, The Charlatans, The Killers, Manic Street Preachers, Pearl Jam, Chris Cornell & Ian Brown.
    I think that's just right, one every couple of months or so. Constantly excited about the next show & never get tired of going. Got Smashing Pumpkins coming up in February, so that's my next focus.
    A happy medium shall we say!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • I'm a live music junkie

What I really dig are club shows...sure it's great to be with 20000 fans in an arena, but, there is NOTHING like standing 5 feet from your fave musicians/bands that blow you away. That is the good stuff.

I'm getting really pissed off at these $100+ arena shows...I'm seeing a great band next month 5times in 1 week for $15 a night...that will be way better than what Springsteen/Neil Young/U2 can offer me on ONE night.
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Yeah I'm burned out at the moment.
    Since 2003 I've been going to more and more gigs til it got to the point I was going to 2 or 3 a month. In the end I was going to gigs for the sake of going to gigs without really liking the band. So now I'm having a break and only seeing bands I really love. That way I go to a gig once a month or so and can be passionate about gigs again.

Plus it helps I get free gig tickets from the student radio I work for, so I get my gig fix out of that if there's no one I like touring.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    the only problem i have with concerts is never know what jackass is going to be seated close to you. when i saw smashing pumpkins last month, there were two guys in the row in front of me... both of whom were talking constantly - which was really annoying during the quiet parts - and one of the guys was sporadically yelling out obnoxious shit like "SMASH MY PUMPKIN!" - i think he said that at least 5 times. both of the guys were dancing like idiots, which is fine at a Phish concert, but not when Zero is being played. i eventually made myself shift my focus from them, but they still devalued my first smashing pumpkins concert experience which i had been waiting for since, i dunno, 1994. i seriously wanted to go back in time and force birth control pills down their mothers' throats.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    I've seen alot of concerts in the past 4 years or so. Probably not as many as some of you on here, but I have seen alot. I think I need to take a break though. They're becomming less special, and I don't seem to get the same excitement out of them anymore. I mean, i'll still go see some bands, but I think i'm going to take a break from seeing every band I like who comes through the area.

Does this happen to anyone else??

erm...i don't think so. i havent been to many live gigs at all. i wish i could go every single day!!!
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    the only problem i have with concerts is never know what jackass is going to be seated close to you. when i saw smashing pumpkins last month, there were two guys in the row in front of me... both of whom were talking constantly - which was really annoying during the quiet parts - and one of the guys was sporadically yelling out obnoxious shit like "SMASH MY PUMPKIN!" - i think he said that at least 5 times. both of the guys were dancing like idiots, which is fine at a Phish concert, but not when Zero is being played. i eventually made myself shift my focus from them, but they still devalued my first smashing pumpkins concert experience which i had been waiting for since, i dunno, 1994. i seriously wanted to go back in time and force birth control pills down their mothers' throats.

That's horrible :o
    I'm almost always standing at gigs, but I seem to draw them idiots to me. In October I went to see a German band playing near, and there was this guy beside me, talking REALLY loud to his friend while the band onstage were playing a quiet, lovely song for their sound engineer... I ended up throwing his hat to the floor and I told him to shut the hell up - he started to talk stupid, but did that more quiet, so I guess I was quite successful.

So, during every gig there's that "I won't go and see any bands here anymore, buncha wankers fuck up all the lovely time I could have"-moment. But usually they end up being dragged out of the crowd or leave after a few songs or something like that, and then the band onstage is so brilliant that I could not not go to a gig of a band I like. And as not a lot of bands I really like play in my neck of the woods I'm apparently doing a lot of things to see at least them.
    People often ask me "What's the best gig you've been to??"
    It's always the one I'm just seeing... There, in the crowd, it's always the one gig for me - course, some gigs are better than others, but I've never felt that I wouldn't ''want'' to go to any other gig after one.
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:

Whats worse someone talking or the smell of puke??
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I sued to go to many shwos when I was a teenager. And I also went to all belgian festivals every summer. Now, I select more and I go to between 5 and 10 shows every year.
    of course, if PJ did 50 shows per year in Europe, I would go to more than 5 or 10 shows..
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    gvn2fly12 wrote:
    Whats worse someone talking or the smell of puke??

LOL! shit... i really can't counter that...!

it wasn't my fault though!
    and i got it cleaned up right away

(that's the best defense i have)

i still feel bad for those who were trying to enjoy My Morning Jacket
  • hrd2imgn wrote:
    I never saw PJ more than twice in a tour until Riot Act where I saw 3 in a row, I was fried by Indy and really didn't enjoy it that much despite awesome seats.

This last tour I saw 6 shows an loved everyone of them! I was really skeptikal about seeing 2 Chicago and 2 Milwaukee so close due to the past expreience, but they were all amazing shows.

I think it has more to do with how much you are into the current album more than anything. I was so pumped to see Avocado live....it was impossible to feel burned out.The band such a great job of making every concert different an unique now with such a big catalog no two shows ever seem the same now.

you know what I also brought ear plugs for the first time to Chicago 1 and 2 and it made such a difference in not feeling so damn deaf either. I wore them for most of MMJ and could hear just fine, I took them out for PJ.

I felt a little burned out last tour. With traveling and everything else I just didn't enjoy some shows like others. I haven't even listened to certain boots of shows I was at cause I know I wasn't having a good time.

Next tour I'm saying Fuck the midwest and if they play the west coast that's where I'll be. Of course when they play Alpine Valley for 2 nites in a row I'll be there of course. :D
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Nope. I thrive on live music.
    me too!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    That's horrible :o
    I'm almost always standing at gigs, but I seem to draw them idiots to me. In October I went to see a German band playing near, and there was this guy beside me, talking REALLY loud to his friend while the band onstage were playing a quiet, lovely song for their sound engineer... I ended up throwing his hat to the floor and I told him to shut the hell up - he started to talk stupid, but did that more quiet, so I guess I was quite successful.

So, during every gig there's that "I won't go and see any bands here anymore, buncha wankers fuck up all the lovely time I could have"-moment. But usually they end up being dragged out of the crowd or leave after a few songs or something like that, and then the band onstage is so brilliant that I could not not go to a gig of a band I like. And as not a lot of bands I really like play in my neck of the woods I'm apparently doing a lot of things to see at least them.
    People often ask me "What's the best gig you've been to??"
    It's always the one I'm just seeing... There, in the crowd, it's always the one gig for me - course, some gigs are better than others, but I've never felt that I wouldn't ''want'' to go to any other gig after one.

yeah, and it doesn't happen all the time... although it seems more often than it should. but i love concerts too - it's actually like a physical need i have - i feel ill if i haven't been to a concert in a while. i'm going to see Dinosaur Jr. this weekend, which had given me something to look forward to for weeks.

i am, however, definitely suffering from pearl jam concert withdrawals.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    i'm going to see Dinosaur Jr. this weekend, which had given me something to look forward to for weeks.
    have fun! :) they were awesome when I saw them. loud as hell too.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Not for me - the more shows I go to, the more I want to see.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008