Options

The HIP on the Hour

ZanneZanne Posts: 899
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Has anyone else won tickets to see the Tragically Hip do some studio taping in Toronto?

I just got an email.. I am kind of like a deer in headlights at this moment because I love the Hip. I haven't been to Canada for 6 years now tho.. and well.. wow. The Hip was the best thing about Canada! Let me mention Eddie Vedder here so that this can be Pearl Jam related. =) And all you thread police that wanna cuff me and throw me in the paddy wagon for starting a thread in the wrong forum, I defend, yet also convict myself by saying that I stick close to home. The Porch is my home, therefore I post!

peace~
Just me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    im not going. Im gunna watch it. The Hour is a killer show, i love the hip 2
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    I think I am screwed. How am I gonna go to Toronto on Sunday when it is snowing here.. that's right, FREAKING SNOWING in Chicagoland on October 12th, 2006!!?

My neighbor was singing "It's Beginning To Look Alot Like Christmas" as she left for work. I am just in awe of this. All of it. And the weird twists and turns of my luck. I want to see the Hip, damnit!
    Just me
  • Options
    robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    the hip are too hip for the modern music scene - i wish we had more great acts like these guys

"Canada Rocks"
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Zanne wrote:
    Has anyone else won tickets to see the Tragically Hip do some studio taping in Toronto?

I just got an email.. I am kind of like a deer in headlights at this moment because I love the Hip. I haven't been to Canada for 6 years now tho.. and well.. wow. The Hip was the best thing about Canada! Let me mention Eddie Vedder here so that this can be Pearl Jam related. =) And all you thread police that wanna cuff me and throw me in the paddy wagon for starting a thread in the wrong forum, I defend, yet also convict myself by saying that I stick close to home. The Porch is my home, therefore I post!

peace~

God speed man!

Lucky Bah-stard!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Sweet. This is gonna be good. Ive got tix for four shows 3 in cowtown and 1 in Van. I am stoked. The Hip are an awesome band live, it is going to be an especially good show at these small venues. Oh ya!
    Calgary 04/09/05, Las Vegas 06/07/06, The Gorge 22/07/06 23/07/06
  • Options
    SnowRider wrote:
    Sweet. This is gonna be good. Ive got tix for four shows 3 in cowtown and 1 in Van. I am stoked. The Hip are an awesome band live, it is going to be an especially good show at these small venues. Oh ya!

I'm jumping through hoops right now trying to figure out how I can make it to the show. I gotta put it in the hands of fate at this point. Wish me luck!

Sue
    Just me
  • Options
    Damn.. Other Music? I said Eddie Vedder in my post lol
    Just me
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    when is The Hour on?

I've never watched it... is it CBC?
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    when is The Hour on?

I've never watched it... is it CBC?

Hell, I don't even know. I am in Chicago. I used to live in Canada, but on the far west coast (Vancouver Island). I learned to love the Hip when I was there so I keep up with them on their web site. I've still never managed to see them live and this would have been such a great opportunity, but I just found out, there is no way I can go. =( I am gonna try to contact someone and ask them if they can assign the tickets to someone else.

=(

peace~

EDIT: I hope someone can record the broadcast of the show and make it available to me after it aires.
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Hell, I don't even know. I am in Chicago. I used to live in Canada, but on the far west coast (Vancouver Island). I learned to love the Hip when I was there so I keep up with them on their web site. I've still never managed to see them live and this would have been such a great opportunity, but I just found out, there is no way I can go. =( I am gonna try to contact someone and ask them if they can assign the tickets to someone else.

=(

peace~

EDIT: I hope someone can record the broadcast of the show and make it available to me after it aires.

well, i work a block away from the CBC building - so i'd be able to get there in the worst possible snow storm!! *wink, wink*!!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    here's a link....

looks like they stream each show the next day - so you won't miss it afterall! :D
  • Options
    here's a link....

looks like they stream each show the next day - so you won't miss it afterall! :D

Thank you so much civ girl.... because here's the letter I just sent to thehip.com:

SUBJECT:- Urgent! Please read regarding tickets won to Oct 15th show

Dear Sirs;

Last night I received an email that said I won tickets to the taping of The Hour on Oct 15th. I confirmed that I would attend. This morning, as fate would have it, I find that I cannot leave my home here in IL between now and the show date.

Please let me know if I can transfer these off to a friend that lives in Toronto, or if you can at least release them back into the lottery for another fan to have. *tears* =( This would have been my first Hip show ever. I am American, but I lived in BC for a number of years and fell in love with them at that time. I have since made sure that I own each one of their albums that I could find and have amassed quite a collection. This is almost as hard for me to have to give up as if it were Pearl Jam in the same small and unique setting! =) The Hip are my Canadian Pearl Jam.. I know that the music is generally a different style, but my opinions of the band, and the feelings generated by the music, the activism, appreciation of their fanbase, everything, keeps them as near and dear as our own PJ.

Please, respond to this and let me know what can be done. I would be crushed to think that those seats would sit empty and that another fan who is touched and energized by the music would not be able to attend. If all else fails, I will assume that if tix are not picked up by the designated time at the venue, that they would be released to fans that are waiting there for just such an opportunity.
    My girl up there in Toronto would rock that house if she were able to attend. Just the type of fan you want.. Pure energy and love for the music and the world in general.

Much love and PEACE to you,

S. Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    well, i work a block away from the CBC building - so i'd be able to get there in the worst possible snow storm!! *wink, wink*!!

:D:D:D

Hey? Are you about 5'4", brunette and a little bit *chubby*? =)
    You could say you are me lol
    Or, just claim that customs confiscated your US ID when you entered because you are a permanent resident of Canada. lol. This could happen (anything can happen at customs), and I AM a permanent resident there. =)

peace~
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Hey? Are you about 5'4", brunette and a little bit *chubby*? =)
    You could say you are me lol
    Or, just claim that customs confiscated your US ID when you entered because you are a permanent resident of Canada. lol. This could happen (anything can happen at customs), and I AM a permanent resident there. =)

peace~

lol! replace 5'4" with 6'0", and you got me! :D

i'll tell 'em I had a growth spurt! ;)
  • Options
    here's a link....

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/

LMAO! i just realized i forgot the link.... :rolleyes:
    i'm such a loser. :p
  • Options
    Mucho Gracias civ_eng_girl

Or should it be Merci Mademoiselle?

anyhow.. thanks for the link

=)
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:

=(

peace~

WOW...you've never seen them live yet...Honestly between PJ and the Hip it's a tough call on which is better as I've seen PJ 8 times and the Hip 14 times...but man...you gotta go to the show if you can...! go ...do it !..
    Trust me..the Hip are awesome Live...Gord Downie is a nut..in a good way..especially when he goes on his "Rants" and makes a song like Grace too last like 25 minutes live...
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    WOW...you've never seen them live yet...Honestly between PJ and the Hip it's a tough call on which is better as I've seen PJ 8 times and the Hip 14 times...but man...you gotta go to the show if you can...! go ...do it !..
    Trust me..the Hip are awesome Live...Gord Downie is a nut..in a good way..especially when he goes on his "Rants" and makes a song like Grace too last like 25 minutes live...

I've never had the chance to see them live yet, and unfortunately I will not be able to attend this show. I am *certain* that some adoring fan will be there to fill my shoes, and by all rights, a Canadian to boot! or is that boat, bout.. hehe

peace!
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    I've never had the chance to see them live yet, and unfortunately I will not be able to attend this show. I am *certain* that some adoring fan will be there to fill my shoes, and by all rights, a Canadian to boot! or is that boat, bout.. hehe

peace!

Shit...that's too bad...one hell of a band to see live...Honestly the best band I've seen live...and nothing against Pearl Jam..I love them..seen them 8 times and are a close 2nd but the Hip just have that soemthing??..LIVE...
    Try next time ZANNE
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    Shit...that's too bad...one hell of a band to see live...Honestly the best band I've seen live...and nothing against Pearl Jam..I love them..seen them 8 times and are a close 2nd but the Hip just have that soemthing??..LIVE...
    Try next time ZANNE

Let 'em get anywhere near Chicagoland.. a 3 state radius kind of close.. and I will be there.. I'll follow 'em just like PJ. I honestly love them, but never had any live lovin' yet.
    Nice to see the fans come out. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see how many other people are touched by the music.

peace to you, my friend.
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Let 'em get anywhere near Chicagoland.. a 3 state radius kind of close.. and I will be there.. I'll follow 'em just like PJ. I honestly love them, but never had any live lovin' yet.
    Nice to see the fans come out. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see how many other people are touched by the music.

peace to you, my friend.
    You too as well....plus when they do tour the US they usually play smaller venues which is way better in my opinion !
    Good luck !
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Always great to see another Hip thread pop up. Keep spreadin' the love, people! I'm seeing them on the 29th here in Calgary, and I can't wait to hear what the new material sounds like live. The three new songs they played at Sasquatch earlier this year sounded incredible. The official Tragically Hip thread seems to be this one:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=159044&page=49

49 pages already. I love it! Feel free to stop in, say hi, and talk a bit of Hip. And if you're feeling more adventurous, come check out their official fan forum at http://www.hipbase.com. It's basically the Hip's version of the Message Pit.

Cheers,
    Casey
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits