The Exit

pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I know a topic has been done about these guys late last year but it's about time for another. Like in that topic made by someone else, I just picked up their Home For An Island CD for about 2 bucks at Amazon. Needless to say, these guys deserve a lot more recognition then they get. Definately one of the more unique bands I've heard recently. The lyrics and combination of two vocalists is well done and I love the guitar riffs. They have a myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/theexit and a website at http://www.theexitrock.com. I suggest going to the Myspace site because they have four full songs on stream and a music video of their single Don't Push. My personal favorite song on that page is Home For An Island as it really builds up all the way through and gives the best picture of the band as a whole. And anyone else who has the album or at least heard their material and has something constructive (ie: not bashing) to say then join in.
Pearl Jam Album Rankings
---
1. Ten
2. Vs.
3. Pearl Jam
4. Binaural
5. No Code
6. Riot Act
7. Yield
8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
---
1. Black
2. Rearviewmirror
3. Light Years
4. Given to Fly
5. Severed Hand
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Saw em open up for Muse last year, one of the few opening bands I've really enjoyed. Don't know if they're doing a headlining tour anytime soon, but I'd definitely see em if they came to town.
    Edit: Just found out they're opening for Straylight Run and stopping in Orlando. I'm there.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Sonic19 wrote:
    Saw em open up for Muse last year, one of the few opening bands I've really enjoyed. Don't know if they're doing a headlining tour anytime soon, but I'd definitely see em if they came to town.
    Edit: Just found out they're opening for Straylight Run and stopping in Orlando. I'm there.

I was wondering how their live act is. I'm liking the CD and as I give it more listens I'm sure I'll turn out loving it.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    I know a topic has been done about these guys late last year but it's about time for another. Like in that topic made by someone else...

That someone else was me. I discovered these guys through Filter Magazine's Free MP3 of "Don't Push", a song with a bridge that continues to kick my ass everytime I hear it. The album quickly became a favorite of mine so I started a thread in here trying to spread the word. However, I got one or two responses saying that the lead singer's voice was unbearable, and the thread quickly died. At the same I started a thread at The Exit's site expressing my appreciation for their willingness to sing about political matters. Add to that my passing mention of efforts to turn PJ fans onto them and I inspired the drummer of the group to respond that my post made his day (I'm the same age as those guys; I wish I had their still-growing talent. Heck, I can barely tune my own guitar and that's just to Standard). Now, months later I'm glad to see from this thread (and another one I found) that several other people out there in PJ land have found this band, too.

Over time I've grown to especially dig the drumming on these songs. Gunner's energy behind the kit seems to be driving the entire album. Because I have no problem with the voices of the two singers, my only complaint is that I think they might be a little to heavy on the pop hooks from time to time. Even then, this is still one of my favorite albums of the past year, just as much due to the energy of the music as to the content of the lyrics ("Warm Summer Days" is like a flip-side version of "WWS", 1st person instead of 3rd/letter home to mom from Iraq instead of mom seeing picture of dead son on front cover of morning paper).

Here's an interesting biography of the band at Filter: http://www.filter-mag.com/artists/interior.142.html

If you read that, do you see why I also thought The Exit would have been a really interesting choice for an opener on this tour for PJ if just for political/worldview reasons. Some of the stuff they said in there is not that far removed from Eddie and Co. have been saying about their own new album.
  • my only complaint is that I think they might be a little to heavy on the pop hooks from time to time.

I know. I'm quoting myself in a thread very few have responded. Anyway, I just listened to samples from The Exit's first album, New Beat, and wow! I take my minor criticism of Home for an Island back because that first album is around 10x worse in that department. Man, did they ever get better from 1st to 2nd album. I'd be embarassed if I owned New Beat.
  • I saw them open for the The Spill Canvas and Straylight Run recently. They were really good.
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    That someone else was me. I discovered these guys through Filter Magazine's Free MP3 of "Don't Push", a song with a bridge that continues to kick my ass everytime I hear it. The album quickly became a favorite of mine so I started a thread in here trying to spread the word. However, I got one or two responses saying that the lead singer's voice was unbearable, and the thread quickly died. At the same I started a thread at The Exit's site expressing my appreciation for their willingness to sing about political matters. Add to that my passing mention of efforts to turn PJ fans onto them and I inspired the drummer of the group to respond that my post made his day (I'm the same age as those guys; I wish I had their still-growing talent. Heck, I can barely tune my own guitar and that's just to Standard). Now, months later I'm glad to see from this thread (and another one I found) that several other people out there in PJ land have found this band, too.

Over time I've grown to especially dig the drumming on these songs. Gunner's energy behind the kit seems to be driving the entire album. Because I have no problem with the voices of the two singers, my only complaint is that I think they might be a little to heavy on the pop hooks from time to time. Even then, this is still one of my favorite albums of the past year, just as much due to the energy of the music as to the content of the lyrics ("Warm Summer Days" is like a flip-side version of "WWS", 1st person instead of 3rd/letter home to mom from Iraq instead of mom seeing picture of dead son on front cover of morning paper).

Here's an interesting biography of the band at Filter: http://www.filter-mag.com/artists/interior.142.html

If you read that, do you see why I also thought The Exit would have been a really interesting choice for an opener on this tour for PJ if just for political/worldview reasons. Some of the stuff they said in there is not that far removed from Eddie and Co. have been saying about their own new album.

Hah, I just noticed these replies today so I figured why not bump it up. The topic was buried before I could see your reply.

Yeah, when you made the original topic I went to their website but didn't give it much of a chance. Since then my musical tastes have changed a lot and now I like them a lot. I know what you mean about the pop hooks though. I don't mind the vocals but I prefer Ben's songs for both lyrics and vocals to Jeff's. I'd say the guitars is what really pushed me to buy the CD and I don't regret it. I pretty much fell in love with Don't Push and the title track is my favorite song (though it seems to end suddenly when it could've gone in another awesome direction).
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---