Southern rock being revitalized

pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I've kind of noticed southern rock picking up steam again, at least among the mainstream. The new bands seem to have classic rock roots combined with the hard rock of recent years and all that. Granted most people seem to have a dislike for some of these bands there is a lot of talent floating around. Amazing lead guitarists are coming back into the spotlight after a period of screaming vocals combined with rap dominated the scene. Not to mention there's more of a focus on singing passionately now with these bands. Those who've read a lot of my posts know I'm always pushing Shinedown with Brent's amazing vocals and energy combined with Jasin's guitar playing that came loose on their second CD. I'll throw a few bands out there though I know there's more.

Mercy Fall - Debut released in May, second favorite CD of this year, In Doubt has great leads and Nate shows off an amazing voice. Streams off the website. Influenced by Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.
http://www.mercyfall.com
http://www.myspace.com/mercyfall

Black Stone Cherry - Just released their debut, young group in their early 20's, heavy riffs combined with passionate vocals, a few streams on their website.
http://www.blackstonecherry.com

Shinedown - Brent Smith is my second favorite vocalist behind Eddie Vedder and I told him as much at the concert I went to in June. He was humbled to be in the same league, as was the guitarist, Jasin, when I told him about the same concerning Mike McCready.
http://www.shinedown.com
http://www.myspace.com/shinedown

And I don't know if they're considered southern rock or not but Rose Hill Drive is another debut band with strong classic rock roots.
http://www.rosehilldrive.com
http://www.myspace.com/rosehilldrive

Again, I know there are more underground southern rock bands but I was just listing some of the newer up and coming ones. They shouldn't be lumped in with other bands from nu-metal or whatever it's called nowadays. These bands are all about the music and have a passion for it, not about the $$$.
Pearl Jam Album Rankings
---
1. Ten
2. Vs.
3. Pearl Jam
4. Binaural
5. No Code
6. Riot Act
7. Yield
8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
---
1. Black
2. Rearviewmirror
3. Light Years
4. Given to Fly
5. Severed Hand
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Drive By Truckers
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Drive By Truckers

That's really all that needs to be said...

But I'll give the other stuff a listen too...
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I know about the Drive By Truckers but they are an older band, are they not? I was kinda just talking about newer bands but hey, they deserve a mention anyways.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Lucero is a great young southern band... fans of DBTs should check them out.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Two Cow Garage

out of OH, but a real southern sound, pedal steel, etc.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Two Cow Garage

out of OH, but a real southern sound, pedal steel, etc.

If you like pedal steel, check out robert randolph and the family band.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • If you like pedal steel, check out robert randolph and the family band.
    Seeing them in a week!

Saratoga, NY w/ DBT and Black Crowes.

Can't wait.

My buddy saw Randolph a few years back at some little show at Bucknell University in PA. Said it was incredible.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw Rose Hill Drive open for wilco last time i caught the band and they impressed me. They ended their set with a killer version of Fairies Wear Boots.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pj_zombie wrote:
    Black Stone Cherry - Just released their debut, young group in their early 20's, heavy riffs combined with passionate vocals, a few streams on their website.
    http://www.blackstonecherry.com

This band has a free download on itunes this week. They are not my style perhaps others can check out the free download and dig them. They reminded me of godsmack a bit which unfortunately reminds me of watered down Alice in Chains.
    That said i thought others might want the opportunity to check them out for free on itunes so i figured i would mention that :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    nobody beats the allman brothers at southern rock
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    jaygreen12 wrote:

other than Lynard Skynard.
    intodeep wrote:
    This band has a free download on itunes this week. They are not my style perhaps others can check out the free download and dig them. They reminded me of godsmack a bit which unfortunately reminds me of watered down Alice in Chains.
    That said i thought others might want the opportunity to check them out for free on itunes so i figured i would mention that :)

They don't remind me of Godsmack, though that's probably because I hate that band. They are young though and I'm very interested in seeing where they go and how they evolve.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Bang Bang Bang out of Nashville.

I just read in the paper they signed to a major label.
    I cought them a couple of times last year.
    Real good band.
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
    Against Me! is a great band from Gainsville, FL. Punk / Folk / Classic Rock elements in their music. Check them out..."Searching for a former clarity" is a great album.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    Lucero is a great young southern band... fans of DBTs should check them out.

i wholeheartedly agree with you and am so glad someone else on here knows lucero. everyone should check out their albums. "tennessee" is a great place to start, but any of them are great. killer live performances too!
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    I don't know if this band is considered southern rock but No Address is pretty good, i saw them open for 3 Doors Down. They have a little southern twanginess to their music.
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    jaygreen12 wrote:

Holla.

Lynyrd Skynyrd sucks big floppy donkey dick.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Why no mention of North Mississippi All-Stars or the Old 97s?

I think they're more 'southern' rock than Shinedown.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    I probably didn't mention them because I've never heard of them. That's sort of the purpose of this thread. For people to list new and upcoming southern rock artists.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Drive-By Truckers are the best Southern rock band today, hands down.

Southern Bitch is a rockin' band that I saw open for DBT in 2004 at the Visulite in Charlotte.

Centro-matic is a great band from Texas.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com