Options

Simple Man

pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I realize there are some Shinedown haters out there so if that's you please don't reply to this topic. I know all your complaints like how he loves the sound of his own voice so we don't need to hear them again. Hell, I love the sound of his voice too and will be seeing them in a week and a half. Anyways, I'm posting this for those that may like his voice or maybe do not know how they sound live. It's from their Live DVD and personally one of my favorite live performances because there's so much passion. He's my second favorite vocalist behind only Eddie Vedder and half of that is because he is passionate about music. I also know they aren't like all those other post-grunge bands out there as they took some risks on their second album, which was my favorite album of last year. Making a 7+ minute song filled with an awesome guitar solo doesn't happen often in today's music. Everything is a typical structure and time, or at least on the radio. Anyways, he dedicates this performance of Simple Man to Dimebag Darrell, who was a good friend of the band's. If you don't want to hear him talking then skip ahead to the 2:00 mark where it begins. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2l8O1JUrRo
Pearl Jam Album Rankings
---
1. Ten
2. Vs.
3. Pearl Jam
4. Binaural
5. No Code
6. Riot Act
7. Yield
8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
---
1. Black
2. Rearviewmirror
3. Light Years
4. Given to Fly
5. Severed Hand
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bump.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    Wow that sucked.

Leave the simple man covers to Gov't Mule.

This band blows on the other hand.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    EDIT::::thanks for the youtube of this song!!!

Shinedown is a HELL OF A BAND...

i saw them live for the first time in the Northeast last year and here in St. Louis a few weeks back and any haters to this band need to get their hearing checked

this guy has a great voice and the band is tight....granted they overplayed Simple Man on the radio, but i thought his version was just as good, if not better than Skynards

45 is a hell of a song!! IMO there wasnt one bad song on the first album and ive only heard a few songs on the new one so i cant say too much

if you havent checked them out you should do so
  • Options
    i love this song, 45 is also good
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    The deftones have a better version of simple man
  • Options
    that wasnt that great sounding, but when was the last time eddie put that much emotion into a song
  • Options
    that wasnt that great sounding, but when was the last time eddie put that much emotion into a song

Anytime he sings Black. Maybe not as much as with Brent here but he does have a lot of passion, no denying that. Another song off that DVD where Brent really sings with passion is Burning Bright(great song). I'll see if I can find a youtube of it.

pjalive21: Get Us And Them quickly. I thought it was the best album of last year. The lead guitarist just broke loose and they really have some amazing songs on it. I think it blows away their first CD.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    their acoustic version was pretty good but I still think they are a pretty shitty band
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    yes!
    you're absolutely right!
    that cover on the b-sides and rarities album was the stand out track for me
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    wow that was amazing. that guy has a set of vocals on him, i don't see how anyone can say it sucks. i'll have to check out the deftones version but i can't picture them doing it better, i love the deftones but with all due respect i dont picture chino as a "singer", i mean he either does the heavy whisper thing or screams. anyway i'll still have to check it out.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    spat wrote:
    i'll have to check out the deftones version but i can't picture them doing it better, i love the deftones but with all due respect i dont picture chino as a "singer", i mean he either does the heavy whisper thing or screams. anyway i'll still have to check it out.
    I'm not a fan of Chino's vocals too but the Deftones version is really good..do check it out :)
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I disagree, I like the Deftones but really Chino doesn't the the right type of voice to sing something like that. I thought it was pretty awful personally.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    pj_zombie wrote:
    pjalive21: Get Us And Them quickly. I thought it was the best album of last year. The lead guitarist just broke loose and they really have some amazing songs on it. I think it blows away their first CD.

yeah im going to have to do that for sure...thanks

deftones version is good for sure but Brent is more fit for singing that song, but a kudos to Chino...
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    He looks like my uncle.

If you want to see some emotional singing, check out NIN; hurt, any live version.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    I think Brent is fit for this type of song because he's voice has a southern rock/classic rock type feel to it. I hope to see them continue to mature for whenever the third album comes about and in particular I want to see them do more material like Lady So Devine. That is, breaking from the mold of the industry more and create unique songs with no formula. If they do that Brent's voice and Jasin's guitar work can carry them far.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---