What a good Neil Young Album?

roymcdroymcd Posts: 31
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Hey guys and dolls,

Just got a few Neil young albums off a friend in work. He was saying if i like PJ i should like Young. I need to burn some to a disk to listen to so was wondering where i should start. He gave me : -

After the Gold Rush
Comes a Time
Dead Man Soundtrack
Decade Disc 1 & 2
Greendale
Harvest
On the Beach
Prarie Wind
Rust Never Sleeps
Silver & Gold
Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brokenarrowbrokenarrow Posts: 478
    roymcd wrote:
    Hey guys and dolls,

Just got a few Neil young albums off a friend in work. He was saying if i like PJ i should like Young. I need to burn some to a disk to listen to so was wondering where i should start. He gave me : -

After the Gold Rush
    Comes a Time
    Dead Man Soundtrack
    Decade Disc 1 & 2
    Greendale
    Harvest
    On the Beach
    Prarie Wind
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Silver & Gold

Start with Decade 1 & 2
    After the Goldrush
    Harvest
    On the Beach
    and
    Rust Never Sleeps
    then work your way from there

Have fun! ;)
  • Onion ManOnion Man Posts: 17
    Harvest is one of my favorite albums.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    LWW
    Mirrorball
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    From Hank to Hendrix is one of my fav Neil songs not to mention Harvest Moon. Great Album!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Decade is a great compilation album.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Anyone with his name on it. :-)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • alexross42alexross42 Posts: 374
    those are some great albums on the list, Decade, Goldrush, and Harvest are good starting points. make sure you get hold of 'Tonight's The Night' and 'Zuma' at some point too - TTN is one of my desert island discs :)
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • the_furthe_fur Posts: 21
    Of all those albums, comes a time is my personal favourite. From start to finish it's a great album. His version of Four strong winds is amazing.

I'd also like to suggest Neil Young's unplugged album. It's incredible. It has a good mix of his songs like my my hey hey, helpless, from hank to hendrix, pocahontas, comes a time, like a hurricane and more. It's my favourite unplugged album.
  • Harvest - very dear to my heart
    Joy
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    'member this one?
    Trans
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • After the Gold Rush:
    Tell Me Why, When You Dance, Southern Man, Birds,
    Comes a Time:
    Comes A Time, Look Out For My Love, Lotta Love
    Decade:
    Old Laughing Lady, Cinnamon Girl, Down By The River, Cowgirl in The Sand, Ohio, Loner, Long May You Run
    Harvest:
    Harvest, Heart Of Gold, Old Man
    On the Beach:
    Ambulance Blues, Vampire Blues, For The Turnstiles, On The Beach
    Rust Never Sleeps:
    all of it.
    Silver & Gold:
    Razor Love, Silver and Gold, Buffalo Springfield Again
  • neils' coming out with a dvd/cd package next tuesday...live at massey hall toronto in the early 1970's

i'll be getting that one for sure!!!!!

as far as recommending a good neil cd...well if you don't like gw bush...get "living with war"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    roymcd wrote:
    Hey guys and dolls,

Dead Man Soundtrack
    Decade Disc 1 & 2
    Greendale

Prarie Wind
    Silver & Gold

you have some good stuff here.

Here are the ones i would rank as the best place to start off of that list:

Harvest
    After the Gold Rush
    Rust Never Sleeps

Then
    Comes a Time
    On the Beach (generally a fan favorite but maybe not the best to start)

Next in line are the newer albums I rank them as follows
    Greendale
    Prairie Wind

Silver & Gold

Decade is a greatest hits disc i prefer albums but that might be cool for you.

Dead Man is okay.

Hell if you can i would burn them all but if you can't make sure you get the first 5 i listened to. Then you'll be hooked.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Personally I really dig "Ragged Glory" which he did with Crazy Horse, very grungy album, lots of dirty distorted sounding guitars...really enjoyable listening I find.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Nobody really digs In Trans, but I like it. Not a bad bit of experimenting by Neil. The version of Mr. Soul on that album kicks ass.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • davetendaveten Posts: 143
    try and find the ltd edition greendale album,it has a live dvd of neil playing a small intimate venue in dublin ireland,its a solo gig well worth checking out,i wish to god pearl jam would play @ the venue only holds 1100 poeple.
    cork 96,dublin 96,dublin 00,dublin 06,london 08, dublin 10, belfast 10, ev solo London 2012
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    roymcd wrote:
    Hey guys and dolls,

After the Gold Rush
    Comes a Time
    Dead Man Soundtrack
    Decade Disc 1 & 2
    Greendale
    Harvest
    On the Beach
    Prarie Wind
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Silver & Gold

After the gold rush and Harvest are both classics. Take them!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    there is also another edition with film of the recording sessions.

And the DVD of the actual film with some performance footage from the Greenale tour.

Nobody mention Mirrorball yet? I'm the Ocean, Big Green Country, Peace & Love, Song X are all classic Neil songs, plus one hell of a backing band.

I'm in the minority, but I really don't like too much off Harvest Moon, except Natural Beauty. If I'm in the mood for quiet/acoustic Neil, I usually reach for Silver & Gold.

(Edited to add: Zoso has Mirrorball listed, I missed it!)
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    arc/weld live album
    after the goldrush (is it hard to make arrangements with yourself?)
    harvest (see the lonely boy, out on the weekend)
    sleeps with angels (western hero is amazing)
    harvest moon is a classic!

neil young and bob dylan are the two best rock/pop/folk songwriters EVER!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    roymcd wrote:
    Hey guys and dolls,

After the Gold Rush
    Comes a Time
    Dead Man Soundtrack
    Decade Disc 1 & 2
    Greendale
    Harvest
    On the Beach
    Prarie Wind
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Silver & Gold
    burn them all if you got them surely.

had forgotten about the dead man soundtrack, Is it just the film score straight? nothing else?? what about dialogue?
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    roymcd wrote:

After the Gold Rush
    Comes a Time
    Dead Man Soundtrack
    Decade Disc 1 & 2
    Greendale
    Harvest
    On the Beach
    Prarie Wind
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Silver & Gold

I'm shocked that Ragged Glory isn't on the list. This is probably Uncle Neil's closest work to grunge, and with some serious feedback on every song.

My other faves of his aren't on the list either...

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, with Cowgirl in the Sand, Down by the River, and Cinnamon Girl.

Live Rust, His best live album, IMO.

Havest Moon I just can't believe this one was left out. Great low-key album.
  • I personally love
    On the Beach
    Tonights The Night
    Zuma
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I like Harvest and Harvest Moon
    But one missing on this list is one of my all time favorite albums, Zuma. I love that album from start to finish, Joni Mitchell and Neil art work, perfect album start to finish. Studio version of Cortez the Killer is pretty sweet too. I think that is one you can probably pick up for cheap money, whether it be ebay or a local shop.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm shocked that Ragged Glory isn't on the list. This is probably Uncle Neil's closest work to grunge, and with some serious feedback on every song.

Nah... Ragged Glory is nowhere close to grunge. Besides heavily distorted guitars, it's completely different from any grunge album. I say this because Ragged Glory was my first Neil album that wasn't a greatest hits comp, and I was initially put off by it because it was nothing like the grunge album that people told me it was that I was expecting.

But that aside, it is a good album. Not even close to one of my favorites, though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The recent archive release of "Live at the Fillmore East" kicks major ass.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Start with Decade 1 & 2
    After the Goldrush
    Harvest
    On the Beach
    and
    Rust Never Sleeps
    then work your way from there

Have fun! ;)
    Add Zuma to that list and follow that advice.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • rust never sleeps is my personal fav.

You're really about to discover neil for the first time? cool, it just doesn't get any better than neil young's music on so many different levels. some of the most passionate, relavent, smart, without boundry music. all by one of the best and most consistent(check out all the youtubes) performers in our time. and a 40 year catalog of it. well, thats my opinion. i'm excited about the new release, still don't know exactly what is getting released.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    TRANS is by far his masterpiece.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms