Options

Collective Soul

angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
edited February 2006 in Other Music
what do you guys think of them? i think they're a very underrated band. all there albums are great, and i finally saw them live last summer, they were awesome
i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I do think they are great........i love the fact they are usually very guitar driven, plus they have that sort of unique sound.... their previous 2 albums were so-so(specially Blender, their weakest)...bu t their new one is really good....
    and they have one of the best albums of the decade in my opinion, the self-titled 2nd album collective soul.

My fav song....precious declaration
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
    my pearl jam page
    I do think they are great........i love the fact they are usually very guitar driven, plus they have that sort of unique sound.... their previous 2 albums were so-so(specially Blender, their weakest)...bu t their new one is really good....
    and they have one of the best albums of the decade in my opinion, the self-titled 2nd album collective soul.
    the only pet peeve i have with them, i wish they had done the first album in a studio version. its more like a demo. check out "from the ground up" an acoustic album they did of some of their previous songs. i love that song satellite. blender was probably their weakest but i still thought it was pretty damn good

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

• Options
    the only pet peeve i have with them, i wish they had done the first album in a studio version. its more like a demo. check out "from the ground up" an acoustic album they did of some of their previous songs. i love that song satellite. blender was probably their weakest but i still thought it was pretty damn good

yeahp i agree........aside from "shine"........only breath and goodnight good guy is what i like from that album,,,,,,,,

since you got to see them.......how's the new guitar player?........cuz ross childress was amazing,.......
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
    my pearl jam page

Their new guitarist Joel shreds, and he's a really nice guy, I met him after I saw them in London, Ontario.

Off Hints, Allegations (1st album) My favourite song is Heaven's Already Here

Their best album is for sure the self titled blue one, and Blender sucks.

They do rock though, and that self titled album is one of the best of the 90's, and is definetly worth checkin out!! :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I remember them having a great guitar player but I can't remember the song. It was live and acoustic. I think it was "Shine."
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Definitely one of my favorite bands from the 90's. I've seen 'em twice, first time after their second album came out (at Milwaukee's Summerfest in 95 - was actually there trying to score tix for PJ that night....no go unfortunately), and then again after their third album came out. Great shows, btw, and getting to hear them cover Ozzy's "Crazy Train" was a treat for me, cuz I've always liked that song.

Love Shine, Heaven's Already Here, Precious Declaration, Untitled, The World I Know, Disciplined Breakdown, and a whole bunch of their other songs.

I would agree (with everybody else apparently) that Blender sucked.....I wasn't a big fan of Dosage either. I haven't heard any of their new stuff, aside from the single that was all over radio last year (or the year before?), which I must say I liked.

I just think that Ed Roland has got a great voice, and had a great stage presence from what I remember
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I will say this this: I saw these guys headline Buzzfest 99 and they put on a great show. They played a free show in Dallas last year and I did not find out until the day of the show... I was so pissed. If anyone has never seen these guys live, they are well worth seeing. plus, whomever side from the ground up is a great ep they are right: I love she said accoustic, as well as, counting the days, and satelite.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    I saw them in Atlanta a couple of summers ago for $5. It was a great show.......I would love to see them again!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    mmmmmmmm i love them!!!!
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options

A very consistenly good rock band. As most people, I didn't like Blender one bit, not really sure why. I like Dosage a lot though. The acoustic album is fantastic, just wish it was a bit longer.
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    I've liked Dosage and the Blue album. They have gotten way too "pop" for me.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I have liked them from the first album on pretty much. I saw them 3 or 4 times. Once as an opener for Van Halen I think it was and then the other times in small clubs where they headlined. I liked their show a lot (or I would not have gone that many times I suppose). They actually rock pretty hard live.
  • Options
    yeahp i agree........aside from "shine"........only breath and goodnight good guy is what i like from that album,,,,,,,,

since you got to see them.......how's the new guitar player?........cuz ross childress was amazing,.......
    new guitarist was great, saw them at small venue (w.c.s.u. campus) and they kicked ass. i dont think blender was as horrible as everyone is saying. go back and give it another listen. i just got tickets yesterday to see them in atlantic city at trump marina, trying to get to see them on monday at this bar they're playing at on monday. its a free show, but you can only win tickets on the radio

• Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    They're a pretty good band. They're first few albums were great. Their new album "Youth" is pretty much crap though. The sad thing is, is that its an independent album, so they could of made it any way they wanted. And it yet they made it a pop/rock cd. So disapointing.
  • Options
    They're a pretty good band. They're first few albums were great. Their new album "Youth" is pretty much crap though. The sad thing is, is that its an independent album, so they could of made it any way they wanted. And it yet they made it a pop/rock cd. So disapointing.

They were also unheard of for years and then suddenly bounced back with a new album, so give them some credit.

It's not by any means a bad album, not my favourite, but not "crap".

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    They were also unheard of for years and then suddenly bounced back with a new album, so give them some credit.

It's not by any means a bad album, not my favourite, but not "crap".

Yeah...I see what you mean.

There are some songs on Youth I do like though...I guess i'll call it a half decent album...
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I really liked them - I own all the albums, blah blah blah. So they did the Road to Vegas tour last spring/summer with Silvertide. I was excited because the last time I saw them was when they toured with the Cranberries back in the late 90's (also saw them at a Nascar race, not quite the same....).

So I had high expectations for the show. I was beyond let down. Ed just kinda stood there reading all the lyrics out of his little book (trying to not be so obvious by having his hair in his face). So that kinda turned me off from them - enjoy the music, but im not sure I could see them live ever again.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

the first record IS the demos they sent to the record company.....so they got screwed by the dopes who released it as is......
  • Options
    Yeah...I see what you mean.

There are some songs on Youth I do like though...I guess i'll call it a half decent album...

Lol...fair enough man :)

.NJD.
  • Options
    I LOVE COLLECTIVE SOUL!!! I almost went to see them in Indianapolis, but I have to save my first rock concert for Pearl Jam, so I had to make a hard sacrifice...but yeah...I think Dosage is their best album, but their self titled is pretty close, and I loved Youth!!! Disciplined Breakdown was really good, Hints and Allegations was alright, and Blender...eh, I liked a couple songs but no more really.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    i agree they have gone a little bit downhill with the new electronic/poppy side.... but i am really diggin' track 1 on "Youth", the chorus is really funky, prolly one of my favorite CS songs ever.
    Columbus 03/Cleveland 06 BABY!
  • Options
    btw anyone who lives in new york and has an extra ticket to there free show at the nutty irishmen feel free to pm me. ive been trying to win on the radio, but im not having much luck

• Options
    I've always hated them.
  • Options
    i just picked up their live album last night, haven't had the chance to go thru it all yet though. it sounds pretty good, the crowd seems to be really into it, and the band is playing with the atlanta youth orchestra which seems pretty cool IMO. i've been a CS fan for a long time, but never was like crazy about them. they are one of those bands i just always get their cd when it comes out.
  • Options
    Collective Soul is one of my guilty pleasure bands in that when I listen to them I think I should hate what I'm hearing yet I can't help but enjoy it. I saw them open for Creed on the Human Clay tour (yes, in a former life I was a Creed fan), and they were awesome. I was turned off by the ultra-rock star persona that Ed adopted on-stage, right down to the leather pants, but their energy was so great that I quickly forgot about it.

I had mostly forgotten about them though until I happened upon the live concert with the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra on DirectTV's Freeview this past December. I was blown away by the concert, especially Better Now when the crowd and the Youth Orchestra sang the chorus. I bought the CD and DVD this week, and I think that the concert loses a lot in the transfer to the CD.

Since seeing the concert, I joined the forum at their official website and read more about them. I am really impressed with how they've come back, especially in that they started their own label (El Music Group) which is something I would have expected more form Pearl Jam (who in a similar situation opted for a corporate subsidiary) than Collective Soul. Plus, I get the impression that these guys just love what they're doing again, which is infectious in their concerts.

They come to my town a lot, and I just missed an acoustic show a couple of months ago (sold out quick). I'd love to see them live again, and I wouldn't be ashamed to be there because their live show is so energetic. However, based on Youth (the songs from the album I do like are almost night and day better on the Home DVD) I'd be much more cautious about buying any new album from them.
  • Options
    Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I think that they're a good band...they played in the Hamptons here a little while ago..but I didn't get a chance to go see them.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Options
    I just picked up their new live cd today. I think its pretty good. I'm really digging the new stuido track Burn, though.
  • Options
    I just picked up their new live cd today. I think its pretty good. I'm really digging the new stuido track Burn, though.

Yeah, Home kicked ass!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    Collective Soul is one of my guilty pleasure bands in that when I listen to them I think I should hate what I'm hearing yet I can't help but enjoy it. I saw them open for Creed on the Human Clay tour (yes, in a former life I was a Creed fan), and they were awesome. I was turned off by the ultra-rock star persona that Ed adopted on-stage, right down to the leather pants, but their energy was so great that I quickly forgot about it.

I had mostly forgotten about them though until I happened upon the live concert with the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra on DirectTV's Freeview this past December. I was blown away by the concert, especially Better Now when the crowd and the Youth Orchestra sang the chorus. I bought the CD and DVD this week, and I think that the concert loses a lot in the transfer to the CD.

Since seeing the concert, I joined the forum at their official website and read more about them. I am really impressed with how they've come back, especially in that they started their own label (El Music Group) which is something I would have expected more form Pearl Jam (who in a similar situation opted for a corporate subsidiary) than Collective Soul. Plus, I get the impression that these guys just love what they're doing again, which is infectious in their concerts.

They come to my town a lot, and I just missed an acoustic show a couple of months ago (sold out quick). I'd love to see them live again, and I wouldn't be ashamed to be there because their live show is so energetic. However, based on Youth (the songs from the album I do like are almost night and day better on the Home DVD) I'd be much more cautious about buying any new album from them.

My mom love's Collective Soul too...I brought the self-titled CD in the car for a bit and she bought her own copy...then all the rest!!!

She even flew down to ATL to see that live performance!!, and is on that message board all the time :)

.NJD.