MACHINA II: the friends and enemies of modern music

Redsfan2144Redsfan2144 Posts: 61
edited October 2006 in Other Music
While reading the Smashing Pumpkins story on wikipedia.org. I found out that Smashing Pumpkins recorded a 6th studio album right after MACHINA: The Machines of God. That 6th album is called "MACHINA II: the friends and enemies of modern music". This album is almost impossible to find because there are only 25 copies of it on vinyl in existence. The entire album has been spread throughout the internet since it's original release during the fall of 2000.

http://www.billy-corgan.com/index.php?page=mp3s

Here is a link to the entire album. I'm sure many more will enjoy this just as much as me.
http://www.myspace.com/dgulley
And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly...

Check out my band, Artificial Red:
http://www.myspace.com/artificialr
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Yeah Machina II was supposed to be included with Machina I as a double disk farewell album. Adore didn't sell well so the record label said no, and Billy responded with "Fuck you" and Machina II ;)
  • Bump!
    Why didn't I download these months ago :confused:
  • I've always been confused by this.

The "Actual" album is only the 14 song disc, right? and the first three disc are just eps, not the album, right?

Or am I just not getting this.

I've had this for a few years now and I still don't know, I haven't put much effort into finding out though.

But the actual album is only 14 songs, correct??
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • I've always been confused by this.

The "Actual" album is only the 14 song disc, right? and the first three disc are just eps, not the album, right?

Or am I just not getting this.

I've had this for a few years now and I still don't know, I haven't put much effort into finding out though.

But the actual album is only 14 songs, correct??

Yeah MACHINA II is 14 tracks.
    The three EPs are basically B-Sides and alternate versions of album cuts.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah MACHINA II is 14 tracks.
    The three EPs are basically B-Sides and alternate versions of album cuts.

Ok, thanks a lot for the help
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I LOVE it that Billy did that! I remember when it got leaked, Billy said on the Smashing Pumpkins website to spread it around and share the music. I thought that was SO cool!! :)

I downloaded the whole album and burned it, so now my SP collection is NOW complete :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • MeddleDeal wrote:
    I LOVE it that Billy did that! I remember when it got leaked, Billy said on the Smashing Pumpkins website to spread it around and share the music. I thought that was SO cool!! :)

I downloaded the whole album and burned it, so now my SP collection is NOW complete :D

Actually they're working on a new album so it's not complete ;) Do you have Judas O?
  • Yeah, I've been on a huge Pumpkins kick lately. IMO, they're officially the 2nd greatest band around (next to PJ of course ;) ) I've actually been listening to a lot of their live material and although some ppl say they're awful live, I think they're actually quite a phenomenal live act. Sure, Billy gets out of tune sometimes when he sings, but the band has energy!!! And damn, Corgan can play the fuck out of some of his solos!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and Smashing Pumpkins are the best 3 bands of our era (being like 1990-present). Even over Soundgarden, Alice, and so many others.

I nearly fainted when I heard they were getting back together :)

BTW, It's official. D'arcy Wretzky will not be on the new album or on tour with them. It's nothing personal, but the Band fears that Corgan's face melting lead playing might actually melt Wretzky's already mutilated plastic surgery.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and Smashing Pumpkins are the best 3 bands of our era (being like 1990-present). Even over Soundgarden, Alice, and so many others.

I nearly fainted when I heard they were getting back together :)

BTW, It's official. D'arcy Wretzky will not be on the new album or on tour with them. It's nothing personal, but the Band fears that Corgan's face melting lead playing might actually melt Wretzky's already mutilated plastic surgery.

LOL!!! I heard that when Billy was asked if D'arcy would rejoin, he said that "Obi-Wan Kenobi has a better chance of joining the Pumpkins."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • LOL!!! I heard that when Billy was asked if D'arcy would rejoin, he said that "Obi-Wan Kenobi has a better chance of joining the Pumpkins."
    haha yeah i've heard that before :p

Mellissa is another story entirely... rarwrrrrr :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a question.
    Who played bass on Machina II?
    The back cover says D'arcy, but I thought I read somewhere that the band recorded this after she left. Did Melissa play bass, or did Billy just record the bass parts himself?
    Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • It wouldn't surprise me if Billy played bass on Machina 2, but it very well could be Melissa. I hope she rejoins the Pumpkins!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    The Pumpkins might have more songs available than any other band from their generation(unless you count all of the PJ bootlegs of course). This, The Aeroplane Flies High box set, Mashed Potatoes, their early demos(about 2 CD-R's worth), Machina demos, etc. The list goes on, I have about 15 CD-Rs full of unreleased studio material by them plus all of the official stuff. They are definitely a band you can REALLY dive into if you are interested.

As much of a jackass as Corgan seems to be(especially from reports on how he treats band members), he sure does a great job of letting the fans get their hands on all of this stuff.
  • Yeah I have to say i really love that about the Pumpkins, that even when you think you've heard everything by them there's more than likely something out there you haven't. Having all of their albums and official compilations is only really scratching the surface with them.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Machina 2 disappointed me. God awful sound quality, like listening to music with a pillow wrapped around your head.
  • perhapsperhaps Posts: 20
    HYLA wrote:
    Machina 2 disappointed me. God awful sound quality, like listening to music with a pillow wrapped around your head.

I really like Machina 2, I just wish there was a better quality version out there.
    1998: 08/28
    2000: 09/01
    2003: 04/28, 07/05, 07/06
    2005: 10/03
    2006: 05/27, 06/03
    2008: 06/19, 06/25
    2009: 10/28, 10/31
  • Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06