Options

Neil Young & Jonathan Demme - "Heart of Gold" Feb. 10th

mookie blaylock 10mookie blaylock 10 Posts: 4,042
edited April 2006 in Other Music
"it's a dream, only a dream..."

http://www.heartofgoldmovie.com/

has anyone been fortunate enough to see "heart of gold" yet?

i'm pretty sure it's in limited release, so if anyone has seen it, let us all know...i'm anxious to check it out and hoping it comes to a theatre here...:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I saw it on Friday. Very, very good. The Prairie Wind stuff was amazing, I found myself getting really excited about songs I thought I had listened to a few millions times too many (Heart of Gold, Old Man, Harvest Moon, etc.)
    Beautifully shot and staged, the solo Old Laughing Lady at the end is just transcendental.

go to http://www.heartofgoldmovie.com/releaseDates.html for a complete listing of where its showing in the next few months.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    i'm very jealous hailhail82, i'm jealous! thanks for the review...sounds awesome!
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It hits Atlanta Feb 24th. I can't see it that night, but i'll see it on the 25thfor sure unless there is like a midnight showing i can catch on the 24th.

Hell Yeah.

Neil Fans check this out on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/w/neil-young-classic-unpluged?v=mw-RX8Mnbvg&search=%22neil%20young%22
    I'm still trying to listen to it all but a great little show from the early 70's. Right before harvest came out i think this is the show from london that has been traded heavily perhaps the 71 show? anyeay it's good stuff.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    it's not coming to halifax for some reason...the closest place is sydney on the cape...about a four hour drive from me...might be worth it though...

enjoy it in atlanta intodeep...i can't wait to see it!
  • Options
    I'll be seeing it when it hits Nashville on Mar. 15. Lookin' forward to it.
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Doesn't come to Hartford til the end of March, blaaaah.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    For all of you who aren't able to see it because of distance or whatever other reason, I heard it's coming out on DVD sometime in May, and will include the one Prairie Wind song not in theatres (He Was The King).
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    I saw it last night and it was magical, ide never even heard prairie wind yet and those songs were my favourite part!! it was very well shot and the setting was very initimate...
    my advice is go see it!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    I'm seeing it this weekend!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    If you are a neil young fan you need to go see this movie. I got to see it this afternoon. Great crowd some old rusties some young rusties. I saw a mom with what looked like her 16 year old daughter seeing it together i thought that was cool.

I have been outspoken about how i thought this was a good album but not a great album. After seeing the film i have a higher opinion of the album. The Prairie Wind songs sound great live and neil put's his all into it. The version of hte Title track Prairie Wind seemed really touching. he told a little story about his dad before hand and he just seemed to pour his all into it. It was little moments like that that really make the album even better now.

I loved the ending with him playing old laughing lady. Probalby the best version of that song i've heard.

AWESOME experience for any neil fan a MUST see.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    If you are a neil young fan you need to go see this movie. I got to see it this afternoon. Great crowd some old rusties some young rusties. I saw a mom with what looked like her 16 year old daughter seeing it together i thought that was cool.

I have been outspoken about how i thought this was a good album but not a great album. After seeing the film i have a higher opinion of the album. The Prairie Wind songs sound great live and neil put's his all into it. The version of hte Title track Prairie Wind seemed really touching. he told a little story about his dad before hand and he just seemed to pour his all into it. It was little moments like that that really make the album even better now.

I loved the ending with him playing old laughing lady. Probalby the best version of that song i've heard.

AWESOME experience for any neil fan a MUST see.

congrats on seeing it intodeep. i know your love for neil, so thiis review means a lot...it means i'm going to have to travel the four hours to go see it in the theatre! :D
  • Options
    I went down to Nashville yesterday to see Heart of Gold. I've got a new respect for Prarie Wind now. The film was awesome. Also, at the theater they had on display a Martin guitar signed by Neil Young and an Epiphone signed by Emmylou Harris.
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • Options
    awesome, heart of gold! :)
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    hailhail82 wrote:
    go to http://www.heartofgoldmovie.com/releaseDates.html for a complete listing of where its showing in the next few months.

Come on, Tallahassee. I need this to be released locally so I can see it.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    I saw it many others in an empty theatre with my family...it was great.

Heart of Gold was amazinggg (the song) and of course the rest was awesome too. Felt really intimate. Great cinematography. As previously noted the end was great.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you rhino. i keep checking for halifax...but no luck yet. with all the rave reviews i thought it might have made the jump to wider release by now, but there are dates being added consistently on the heart of gold site...i'll try to stay optimistic for us both getting a chance to see it! :)
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:

April 21 - Halifax - Park Lane 8
    May 5 - Tallahassee - Miracle

we happy!!! :)
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I don't think it ever came to Houston. :(

For being such a big city Houston really sucks if you're into live music or the like. I guess I'll wait for it on dvd.
  • Options
    U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Actually, it did come to Houston..it was at the Landmark Theatre in River Oaks for about a week......saw it there, great movie!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    U2rocks wrote:
    Actually, it did come to Houston..it was at the Landmark Theatre in River Oaks for about a week......saw it there, great movie!

Shit man, I was looking for it! Oh well, I've got Netflix, I'll get it as soon as it comes out. I'm sure I'll end up buying it.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    open tomorrow on p.e.i. !!! (finally!)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    open tomorrow on p.e.i. !!! (finally!)

congrats lost clay! waiting for the 21st over here...
  • Options
    i finally saw heart of gold tonight!!!

i was awestruck...fixated on neil. it's a passionate performance and the intros to a couple of songs left me with a huge lump in my trhoat...especially when he was talking about his dad's passing and then he played "far from home"...and talking about his daughter growing up and then playing "here for you"

one of my favourite moments was during "harvest moon" when neil turns directly around and looks at peggi and sings "i wanna see you dance again, because i'm still in love with you"...then "the old laughing lady" at the end ???!??!! forget about it! :D

this is an astounding musical performance. so happy to have seen it in the theatre. so happy demme and neil decided to make it! dvd goes into the collection the day it comes out....
  • Options
    ...and i stayed to the very end of course...what with neil playing "the old laughing lady" and what not...then the two words at the end...i can see why some people left this movie in tears...
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    yeah that film was amazing, especially the ending/credits & the broom playin during harvest moon, hehe all we need now is the DVD (&soundtrack)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    April 21 - Halifax - Park Lane 8
    May 5 - Tallahassee - Miracle

we happy!!! :)

YES! VERY!

Thanks for the update. You rock!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    i caught it last week in Buffalo. It actually played her for three weeks. I caught it on the last night of it's run, and i was the only one in the theater. very cool picture.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    I just saw this film. It was only in my city for a week and I took it in with only six or eight other people in the theater.

What a great way to spend an hour and a half! I look forward to the home video release in June, too.

Go see it if you have the chance!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I just saw this film. It was only in my city for a week and I took it in with only six or eight other people in the theater.

What a great way to spend an hour and a half! I look forward to the home video release in June, too.

I'm seeing it in an hour or 2 exciting! should be good.. Neil on the big screen finally.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:

i've been thinking about this movie a lot since seeing it rhino. happy it finally came around for you! :) there were only about ten people in the theatre when i saw it too. i really can't wait to see it again. i wouldn't hesitate to call it one of my favourite movies, even though i've only seen it once. it feels like so much more than merely a concert film.

i still get chills thinking about neil introducing a couple of the songs, telling his stories, and especially the ending.