Matt Mays & El Torpedo - When The Angels Make Contact

mookie blaylock 10mookie blaylock 10 Posts: 4,042
edited November 2006 in Other Music
the new album from matt mays & el torpedo comes out novemeber 7th....and it sounds phenomenal!!!

these guys are really coming into their own with this record, and you can hear more and more of the neil young influence in matt's songwriting...:)

listening to "1 for the motor" now...current fave...and "spoonful of sugar"...each one becomes the new fave...;)

have a listen...

http://www.whentheangelsmakecontact.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ...now "heroine"...this is so NEIL!!! :):):)
  • "mornin' sun"..."850 commando"!!! fuck, this is awesome! :D
  • record comes out today, and i'm broke...:(

will have to wait until the weekend to pick it up i guess...good thing i can listen to it on the website :)
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I really liked their last cd, I'll have to give this a listen when I have a chance
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Matt Mays kicks ass. His last two records are amazing, and I can't wait to get my hands on the new one.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • i found the first album to be a tranistion from matt's alt-country days into finding a voice as a solo artist. the second album was a good representation of the live show...just balls out rock and roll with a little bit of steel guitar and that alt-country sound still there. the second record i still listen to all the time. both of them are two of my favourites.

this one, i find, is a bit of an experimental album for the boys. they've brought in local artists like buck 65 and skratch bastid for a couple of tunes, so there is some rap / hip hop influence on a couple of the tracks. a couple of the tracks are just mind blowing rock and i can't wait to hear them live. some are so evident of the influence neil young has had on matt's songwriting. it's almost creepy how easily some of these songs could fit in a an old neil record...or even a song like "midnight is the time"...that is not far removed from neil's "trans".

i can't say enough good things about these guys. i think this album is going to be huge! i hope they find great success with it, because i know they've worked hard and anyone who has seen them live knows that they put everything they have into their live shows because they love what they do and they love performing. it would be nice to see them reap the rewards of all the hard work.
  • also, good to hear that there are at least a couple of other matt mays & muthafuckin' el torpedo fans around...thanks for posting ediger and direwolf! :)
    Yeah, the Neil Young influence is all over Matt's music, which is never a bad thing. I never really got into his old band, The Guthries, but I really starting to notice him when he put out his first solo record. The song that really put the hook in me was "City of Lakes". After that I became an instant fan.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Yeah, the Neil Young influence is all over Matt's music, which is never a bad thing. I never really got into his old band, The Guthries, but I really starting to notice him when he put out his first solo record. The song that really put the hook in me was "City of Lakes". After that I became an instant fan.

yeah, i saw the guthries many times back in the day. very talented group, but a little too country for me. they actually had a fair amount of success for a little band from hali. a special on CMT, and some shows in europe.

when matt started his own thing, he brought a lot of that country sound to the music, but you could definitely tell he was adding more rock as he progressed.

i was lucky enough to work in a club where he and the torpedo played numerous shows. it's funny to think back now of the monday night shows they used to play to 20-30 people four times a month..."a month of mondays" they called it...featuring one artist a month. matt and the boys did a few of those, so since it wasn't busy, it was always nice just to go into work and listen to them jam out the tunes. the crowds started getting bigger when, like you said, people started hearing "city of lakes".

i think it was after the tour with blue rodeo that they really started to get a name for themselves. they play 110%, no matter if it's 20 people or 1,000 which is what they started getting at our club after the single. awesome live shows!

i was really excited to hear the new record because i still love the first two and i was curious to see what direction they would go. again, like you said direwolf, neil is all over this. i know matt idolizes him, so i think this record almost sounds like a tribute to his songwriting and his willingness to experiment as an artist.

i think matt finally got to meet him at the south by southwest festival, but i haven't seen matt in ages, so i'm anxious to talk to him about it. i'm sure he was happy as a pig in shite! :D
    they play 110%, no matter if it's 20 people or 1,000 which is what they started getting at our club after the single. awesome live shows!

Yup, I saw Matt and El Torpedo at the Calgary Stampede last summer and they blew me away. Great energy!

-Tom Waits
    Finally had a listen to the album while I was at HMV yesterday, and it's excellent! Favorites so far are "Heroine" and "850 Commando". I'm a little broke this week, but as soon as I get paid this record will definitely have a home in my collection. Best Buy has it on sale for $9.99 right now, so I think I'll pick it up there on Friday. From what I've read, this album was supposed to be the soundtrack for an unfinished film that probably won't ever be relased, but Matt decided the songs were too good not to put out on disc, so he went ahead and released it. Very cool.

-Tom Waits
  • I was under the impression that this was another solo album? Am I wrong?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Finally had a listen to the album while I was at HMV yesterday, and it's excellent! Favorites so far are "Heroine" and "850 Commando". I'm a little broke this week, but as soon as I get paid this record will definitely have a home in my collection. Best Buy has it on sale for $9.99 right now, so I think I'll pick it up there on Friday. From what I've read, this album was supposed to be the soundtrack for an unfinished film that probably won't ever be relased, but Matt decided the songs were too good not to put out on disc, so he went ahead and released it. Very cool.

you can watch the video for "when the angels make contact" on the site...i have a feeling it is part of the movie you mentioned. there is a lot of bits of dialogue in the video...and i hardly recognized tim in his white suit and matt with his hair cut off! they definitely seem to be playing characters that are part of something that was meant to be longer.

"herione" and "850 commando" are definitely in heavy rotation for me! :) herione is neil through and through...and 8-5-0- com-man-do is one i cannot wait to hear live. it will blow people away and i have a feeling there is a long jam that the boys will add in the live show.

i'm also still stuck on the title track, "1 for the motor", "spoonful of sugar", "mornin' sun" and "midnight is the time"...not much in the way of lyrics on that one, but it's the kind of tune that gets stuck in your head.

can't wait to pick up the disc! happy you were able to have a good listen direwolf :)
  • I was under the impression that this was another solo album? Am I wrong?

it's still matt mays & el torpedo...so kind of like neil young & crazy horse in a way...matt would like that comparison ;)

...basically the same guys that have been backing him for the most part since he left the guthries minus one and add one here and there :)

lots of guest appearances by local artists and friends of the band.

edit: ...see next post for clarification of my mistake...:)
  • so i just got some cash, had to hop on my bike right away and go pick up the cd :)

i forgot to mention "the past" as one that is a standout...

i guess i was wrong about this being a matt mays and el torpedo project...seems like it's mostly matt and tim from el torpedo...with all the other artists adding their parts.

i would imagine the tour will be matt mays and el torpedo though. sorry for the mistake before...

there are some great photos inside taken by halifax photographer chris smith. the best shot is the center of the liner notes...one of matt face down on the road after a motorcycle crash...pretty cool shot. i guess they are stills from the movie direwolf mentioned.

going to go have a listen...:)