Matt Mays & El Torpedo on Conan O'Brien tonight!!!

mookie blaylock 10mookie blaylock 10 Posts: 4,042
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Matt Mays & El Torpedo
Late Night with Conan O'Brien tonight at 12:30am EST (1:30am AST).

many canucks may be familiar with the best band to come out of halifax in some time...some of you may not.

either way, check them out tonight on conan o'brien. i remember watching them in the dank old basement bar i used to work at, playing to 30 people or so.

i cannot believe they are going to be on conan! great band, great bunch of guys...they deserve it! :)

check it out...you won't be disappointed!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They are bad A$$
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • They are bad A$$

indeed! :D
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Matt and the boys are a great band, and they deserve every ounce of attention they can get. I'll definitely be glued to my TV later tonight. This is gonna be awesome!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Great performance! Was it just me, or was the sound mix totally screwed up? Matt's vocals and the drums were way too low in the mix, and all I seemed to be getting was the piano and one big loud guitar. But a solid performance nonetheless.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Great performance! Was it just me, or was the sound mix totally screwed up? Matt's vocals and the drums were way too low in the mix, and all I seemed to be getting was the piano and one big loud guitar. But a solid performance nonetheless.

i'm not that adept at picking stuff like that up, but i'll agree that matt's vocals were low for sure.

definitely a solid performance and the crowd seemed to like them. conan seemed geniunely impressed. i loved it!

i know you've been a fan for a bit as well direwolf, so it was pretty surreal seeing the boys on the show, eh? i hope it picks them up some fans! :)
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469

i hope it picks them up some fans! :)

My brother is a big fan - he recently sent me a few songs off the new album and I thought they were really good!!!!!! (Spoonful Of Sugar, When Angels Make Contact, Heroine).

I made sure to check them out on Conan last night....I was pretty disappointed when they started playing "Cocaine Cowgirl" - as it was the only song I knew of theirs (from the radio) and it had never really impressed me. BUT I thought it sounded freakin' amazing - so intense....a million times better live than the recorded version. I'll have to check the song out again with my new found appreciation for it.

.....he was really good at the Phoenix in Toronto this week (Sick Kids Benefit)- although I didnt recognize most of his set. Only played a few songs - it was obviously a different vibe than a normal show . Did a nice duet with Sam Roberts.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    My brother is a big fan - he recently sent me a few songs off the new album and I thought they were really good!!!!!! (Spoonful Of Sugar, When Angels Make Contact, Heroine).

I made sure to check them out on Conan last night....I was pretty disappointed when they started playing "Cocaine Cowgirl" - as it was the only song I knew of theirs (from the radio) and it had never really impressed me. BUT I thought it sounded freakin' amazing - so intense....a million times better live than the recorded version. I'll have to check the song out again with my new found appreciation for it.

.....he was really good at the Phoenix in Toronto this week (Sick Kids Benefit)- although I didnt recognize most of his set. Only played a few songs - it was obviously a different vibe than a normal show . Did a nice duet with Sam Roberts.

those tracks you mentioned from "when the angels make contact" are fantastic! great record cover to cover.

you really make a good point about having to see them live to truly appreciate the band and their music. don't get me wrong, i love all of the albums, but the live show is just on another level entirely.

sounds like a good experience with sam roberts at the phoenix. could have been a few songs from when the angels make contact that you haven't heard yet, eh?

if you'd like to check out the other tracks...

http://www.whentheangelsmakecontact.com/audio/

you can still listen to the album here. some of it is experimental and definitely has a different sound from the el torpedo albums. i can see matt doing it this way for a while if he's able...doing his more experimental stuff as solo albums and sticking with the el torpedo sound for the band albums. kind of like his idol, neil young! :)
  • for anyone who missed the show or would just like to check it out...

"cocaine cowgirl"...matt mays & el torpedo on conan...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW-99V7wTkw
    for anyone who missed the show or would just like to check it out...

"cocaine cowgirl"...matt mays & el torpedo on conan...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW-99V7wTkw

Cool!

-Tom Waits