Options

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreaker

WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I am blown away by this album. I had no previous knowledge, bought it on a whim because I read Eddie V's comments in an article. Also picked up the Strokes but for me their is no comparison, maybe Strokes will grow on me.

KOL I just find amazing, there is not a song that I don't think is good. Yes, Caleb's voice is different but the band has some great roots in punk and blues and just plain rock, alternative rock. I don't know it but I think that is a Tele being played and the guitar work is very good. Nothing bland or repetitive of other bands, at least not for me.

I could see where this isn't for everyone, but for me it just hit the right chord and it only took a couple of listens before I felt it was a superior album. Maybe one of the best new releases I have bought in years.

Does anyone agree with me on this? Have they or are they opening for PJ?
HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    KOL are exceptional... my 2nd favourite band after PJ

I saw them live in Glasgow last year and they were great... short set but it was really good!!

Calebs voice is amazing i think... i love voices that are a bit different and more distinctive than other run of the mill bands!!

They are opening for PJ in Australia/NZ in November (see KOL website) and they have a new album coming out later in the summer...

pure rock band... they make you want to swivel your hips to the groove :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    KOL are exceptional... my 2nd favourite band after PJ

I saw them live in Glasgow last year and they were great... short set but it was really good!!

Calebs voice is amazing i think... i love voices that are a bit different and more distinctive than other run of the mill bands!!

They are opening for PJ in Australia/NZ in November (see KOL website) and they have a new album coming out later in the summer...

pure rock band... they make you want to swivel your hips to the groove :)

love KOL... cant wait to see them again this year and their new record!!!!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Be sure to pick up their first album, too. And see them live at all costs, they just come out and rock!
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i might go grab this one too. i bought most of my morning jacket's cds and like them. i think i dig that laid back southern rock vibe and i kinda feel like some new music now. id be intrigued by the strokes given ed's praise of it, but i kinda fizzled out on them after the second album becos it sounded a little too similar to the first at the time. is the new one good? does it offer a little more variety than their older tunes? i WAS drinking and smoking a lot of grass and running out of money to pay for them both so i had to sell SOMETHING ;)
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I listened to about half of it....just threw it on one day while on the computer (friend burned it off for me)...a couple of tracks stuck out: Soft and The Bucket.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Amazing band and if they could cut out all the overly sexual lyrics they would be amazing. BTW I'm no prude but pop myself in your body is a bit much.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    hate the album, just plain bores me
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    loucifaloucifa Posts: 42
    been listening to both for the past 2 months.. its a great listen.. would recommend it
    2008-06-28\\2008-06-30\\2006-05-25\\2006-05-24\\2006-05-13\\2005-10-03\\
    2004-09-28\\2004-09-29\\2003-07-11\\2003-07-02\\2003-07-03\\2000-08-29\\
    2000-08-30\\1998-09-16\\1998-09-15\\1996-09-26\\
  • Options
    chris3chris3 Posts: 43
    fada wrote:
    Amazing band and if they could cut out all the overly sexual lyrics they would be amazing. BTW I'm no prude but pop myself in your body is a bit much.

Haha.... When I first started to listen I guess I really was being a dunbass and just singing the words right along w/ them and never really thought of what they were saying. Then one day it hit me when I was driving and I just busted out laughing......they are definetly dirty. "Soft" has a some great lyrics!!

I've seen these guys 3 times and I've been lucky enough to meet them twice.....great group of guys who have a bunch of good looking girls who follow them around. The first time I saw um I got to the venue early and saw a chick step out of the back door and she was putting her shirt back on......damn lucky guys.
  • Options
    ASH by kol is amazing, i bought last year when it first came out after loving their first record, and i was rally surprised to find that it was ten times better than the first. i will be really upset if KOL do tour with pj in AUS an nz, cause i would definitely rather see them mmj, who i like too, but not as much as kol
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I love this album, and this band. My favorite band to come along in a long time. And their live show is astounding, a must see. I've been listening to this album for about a year straight, and haven't gotten sick of it. The debut is good too, but AHA is much more mature.

I hope they keep putting out good music, it would be a shame if they fell off the music map.

PBM, did you get the email I sent you a while back? [Trani]
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Dick Jones wrote:
    PBM, did you get the email I sent you a while back? [Trani]

I did...it's on my desktop...I haven't even listened to it yet...I will do that now.

Thank you...sorry for the momentary lapse of reason.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I hope they keep putting out good music, it would be a shame if they fell off the music map. [Trani][/b]

new album due out in late September apparently ;)

they're pretty big over here in UK... so they have a good following and i think they'll be around for a while :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Great record, even better than the debut, it kicks from start to finish :D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I did...it's on my desktop...I haven't even listened to it yet...I will do that now.

Thank you...sorry for the momentary lapse of reason.

PBM

I totally forgot that I even sent it until I saw this thread.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    beanagebeanage Posts: 19
    It is a good record, but I definitely got sick of it. A friend of mine bought it before it was released in some record store in LA back in October of 2004. I burnt it off of him and now I rarely listen to it....almost seemed ordinary after awhile.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Nah... you need to go back and listen again... ;)
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    I'm_One wrote:
    Haha.... When I first started to listen I guess I really was being a dunbass and just singing the words right along w/ them and never really thought of what they were saying. Then one day it hit me when I was driving and I just busted out laughing......they are definetly dirty. "Soft" has a some great lyrics!!

I've seen these guys 3 times and I've been lucky enough to meet them twice.....great group of guys who have a bunch of good looking girls who follow them around. The first time I saw um I got to the venue early and saw a chick step out of the back door and she was putting her shirt back on......damn lucky guys.

Yeah, I am with you, the more I listen and pull out the lyrics sheet I am definintely hearing the dirty. Kinda reminds me of RHCP lyrics. I want to my teenagers to hear it because I think the music is really good, and a lot better than the crap they are subjected to on the radio, but the lyrics give me pause. Parenthood....
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Kings Of Leon rule. I can't wait to see them live. Very unique voice. Can't wait for the new album.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying