Question for the R.E.M. fans...

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Am I the only person who likes the band's whole career? Some people say "once they signed with Warner Bros, it was all down hill." Others seem only like the mid 1990's stuff, or the later stuff.

Does anyone else like everything? I think they've had fantastic albums all three decades they've been around. There have been a few bad songs here and there, but I would never say one era is better than the other.
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    You aren't the only one. I love the early IRS albums, and the mid 90's popular period, and the new REM. I just love them. :D

There are a couple of albums i've yet to get into...but everything I hear, I pretty much like.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    start to finish for me, each period has something different to offer and even if you don't 'get it' first time round, they continue to serve up surprises on repeat listens
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'll admit after monster i tried to keep up but i couldn't get into those albums....some good songs there but they didn't keep my interest....i guess i just like the old rem....which is why i freaking LOVE accelerate! :)
  • Check out the album "New Adventures In Hi-Fi" which was partially recorded live. It's a great, great album that doen't seem to get much love.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    Check out the album "New Adventures In Hi-Fi" which was partially recorded live. It's a great, great album that doen't seem to get much love.

That one is my favorite. But the others I consider "classics" (as in love every song, never skip one track)...

Fables of the Reconstruction
    Document
    Out of Time
    Automatic for the People
    Reveal

I like all the other albums but I think the six listed above (incl New Adventures) are simply phenominal.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love every one of their albums.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    each of my favorite REM albums are from different eras and are often ones many dont like

murmur and up will always be my absolute favorites, but i also quite like new adventures and accelerate

rem's one of my favorite bands-ive found its easier to look at their career in parts, much like i do with U2....there are certain parts that are just so distinct and disparate that it makes much more sense not to compare them to eachother, but enjoy the different aspects for what they are
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    Am I the only person who likes the band's whole career? Some people say "once they signed with Warner Bros, it was all down hill." Others seem only like the mid 1990's stuff, or the later stuff.

Does anyone else like everything? I think they've had fantastic albums all three decades they've been around. There have been a few bad songs here and there, but I would never say one era is better than the other.

I'm with you. They're one of the greats. Great music, lyrics, and vocals. They've tried new things, done lots of tours. They've had a great, consistent career.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    That's why they're the best band ever, in my own humble opinion. They've done it all. They've been around almost thirty years now, and in fourteen albums they've made one that was not good (Around the Sun). That's a statistic that nobody can achieve. They're a great live band, they play well in small and big venues, and became the largest band in the world during the early 90's without losing a shred of integrity. Great vocalist, great musicians, great songs...they're the band everyone else is trying to beat.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    I've been listening to R.E.M. pretty much from the beginning, and in my eyes I think they're incapable of making what you'd call a bad record. While a few of their releases may have fallen short of the others, the band has amassed an amazing catalog of quality music.

R.E.M. (as well as PJ) are, at their worst, better than most of the rest.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    My favorite album is probably Reckoning, but I also love Document, Automatic for the People, and the new one is great too. They're just great!
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    My 2nd favorite band..............U2 being my fav. I think REM are a fantastic band...the only bum note they had with me is Reveal. It's alright...but weak for a REM record....but it does beat a lot of anyone else.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • There are very few bands whose entire career I've enjoyed and R.E.M. is definitely one. Pretty easy choice.
  • U2rocks wrote:
    My 2nd favorite band..............U2 being my fav. I think REM are a fantastic band...the only bum note they had with me is Reveal. It's alright...but weak for a REM record....but it does beat a lot of anyone else.

I have always stood alone as the person who LOVES Reveal. I absolutely love every song on that album. Occasionally I have to drive 45-an hour for work. When that is the case, Reveal is one of the cds I put in to enjoy for the trip without having to worry about skipping anything. On top of being a great album, it is a great driving album.
    I love my female wife...
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    what I meant was...as a huge fan of REM I just don't care for Reveal as much as all the others....but then again I thought Around The Sun was great....what kind of whacked group am I in for that...
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Stipe could sing the phone book and it would sound great to me.
    the Minions
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Apart from Around The Sun (patchy and way overproduced) there's not an REM album I dislike.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • monster95monster95 Posts: 127
    ooooohh for a return to the rem "grunge" period. rem at their most beautiful then...Monster...NAIHF....the sounds..the image..they had it all..
    although..Accelerate is damn good too!
    much like PJ,REM are much better live !!
    I plan to live forever.so far so good !