New R.E.M. hits album.

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I was in Best Buy today and I picked up this new R.E.M. hits cd called "And I Feel Fine... The Best of The IRS Years 1982-1987" for $9.99. And let me tell you, what a great purchase. I have always felt that R.E.M.'s early stuff deserved a better compilation than the 12 song "Eponymous" that came out almost 20 years ago. This has all the hits from that era (End of the World, The One I Love, Fall on Me, Driver 8) plus tons of great album cuts like Welcome to the Occupation, 7 Chinese Bros, and Begin the Begin. I also believe there is another set with 2 discs with some rarities, but either way you can't go wrong.
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I was in Best Buy today and I picked up this new R.E.M. hits cd called "And I Feel Fine... The Best of The IRS Years 1982-1987" for $9.99. And let me tell you, what a great purchase. I have always felt that R.E.M.'s early stuff deserved a better compilation than the 12 song "Eponymous" that came out almost 20 years ago. This has all the hits from that era (End of the World, The One I Love, Fall on Me, Driver 8) plus tons of great album cuts like Welcome to the Occupation, 7 Chinese Bros, and Begin the Begin. I also believe there is another set with 2 discs with some rarities, but either way you can't go wrong.
    Just picked it up mere minutes ago............did not listen to it on the way home because the wife wanted to hear a Beatles cd that we picked up. Glad to see someone saying nice things about it.

I am almost ashamed to say that I own "Eponymous" on cassette.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I got the 2 disc cd & the new dvd "When the light is mine" on Tuesday. Great stuff & Peter Buck's liner notes are hilarious.

They guys are a fucking lock to be inducted into Rock & Roll hall of fame when they're eligible in 2008
  • tybird wrote:
    Just picked it up mere minutes ago............did not listen to it on the way home because the wife wanted to hear a Beatles cd that we picked up. Glad to see someone saying nice things about it.

I owned "Document" on cassette, which is part of the reason I haven't heard some of the stuff in over 10 years. Hearing "Welcome to the Occupation" really made my day today.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • i need to get this. it seems really good. contemplating getting the DVD actually
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    need to pick up a copy of this Monday! I have mostly REM stuff from the 90's so this will be a good purchase.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love r.e.m., but i generally don't like hit recordings. i do have that best of the irs years and it is excellent.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • The second disc in this set is a really nice treat for longtime fans, there is some really cool stuff on there.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • The second disc in this set is a really nice treat for longtime fans, there is some really cool stuff on there.

The 2 disc set is only $5 more, at least it is this week, and it's another 21 songs. Definitely worth the extra cash.

I didn't pick up the DVD, since funds were tight this week and it wasn't on sale, but I'll get it eventually. Christmas is just around the corner.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • A little off topic, but still on R.E.M. I really hope they tour again in the near future. I have never seen them (no one to blame but myself---I have had the chance in 95, 99, 03 and 04 and always found an excuse not to go.) They're proably my favorite band that I haven't seen live. It's too bad, too, because I've looked up their setlists and they play some awesome stuff in concert ( like "Get Up" and "Maps and Legends")
    I love my female wife...
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tybird wrote:

what beatles cd?

i LOVED the rem latter years best of. it was amazing from start to finish. id like to hear this.
    what beatles cd?

i LOVED the rem latter years best of. it was amazing from start to finish. id like to hear this.
    The Beatles "Past Masters Volume 2"

Singles, B-sides and stuff that is supposedly not on any of the albums...including "Hey Jude" and "Revolution."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Picked up the 2 disc set today at Costco for $14.99. Like Tybird, most of the early years REM albums I've only got on cassette (Document, Fables of the Reconstruction, Murmur), and I haven't listened to them in years. Forgot just how good this early stuff is. Just may replace the Drams disc in my car for awhile, or at least go into the rotation.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    Picked up the 2 disc set today at Costco for $14.99. Like Tybird, most of the early years REM albums I've only got on cassette (Document, Fables of the Reconstruction, Murmur), and I haven't listened to them in years. Forgot just how good this early stuff is. Just may replace the Drams disc in my car for awhile, or at least go into the rotation.

that drams record is fantastic.

kind of sounds like a mix between REM and early Wilco

I love it
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    StoneG82 wrote:
    that drams record is fantastic.

kind of sounds like a mix between REM and early Wilco

I love it

Not too get off topic, but I'm seeing the Drams on Thursday. $8, should be an excellent show. You're right, some strong early REM influences there.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• merkinball wrote:
    Not too get off topic, but I'm seeing the Drams on Thursday. $8, should be an excellent show. You're right, some strong early REM influences there.

I might go see them open for the DBT in october.

should be a great show
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • I was listening to this earlier and I couldn't help but think......

what in the hell happened to this band?

they used to be soooo good.

peter buck looks so pissed off in the shiny happy people video.

and don't even get me started on around the sun.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I was listening to this earlier and I couldn't help but think......

Bill Berry...aneurysm, retirement, REM loses rock influence, music becomes soundtrack for Otis Elevator Company.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The best thing about this 2-CD set, for me, is the remastered sound quality of the songs. Finally, no more turning up the volume to hear IRS-era R.E.M. songs!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    zircona1 wrote:
    The best thing about this 2-CD set, for me, is the remastered sound quality of the songs. Finally, no more turning up the volume to hear IRS-era R.E.M. songs!
    Now if someone will get off their ass and do this for the early U2 albums (Boy, October and War), life would be that much closer to perfect.

Un-remastered cds are bad.........:(
  • I can't believe how awesome the new dvd "When the light is mine" is. I just watched the whole thing and it is a Georgia peach!
    That Bad Day outtake is great! I never caught before how it had the same structure as Its the End of the World... But on that early take, its painfully obvious (as it says in the liner notes).

• AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    zircona1 wrote:
    The best thing about this 2-CD set, for me, is the remastered sound quality of the songs. Finally, no more turning up the volume to hear IRS-era R.E.M. songs!
    yeh!
    that's why i'm gonna get it soon..for the fact that it's remastered and of course the bonus disc.
    sometimes unmastered albums make me lose interest fast cos of the crappy quality
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    I was listening to this earlier and I couldn't help but think......

peter buck looks so pissed off in the shiny happy people video.

and don't even get me started on around the sun.

Really?? you don't like any of their new stuff? I think 'Reveal' ranks among my favorite albums by anyone. "Imitation of Life," "The Lifting," "All the Way to Reno," "She Just Wants to Be," "I'll Take the Rain," "Disappear" So much good stuff!!
    I love my female wife...
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    I picked it up when I saw it at Best Buy. My girlfriend went in to look for Sugar Cult and some other emo band, I got bored and started to look around. I picked it up right as soon as I saw it. Much greater than their stuff on Warner.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I bought it yesterday...
    Of course I knew some ot that stuff (radio free europe, it's the end.., fall on me, etc.) but some of the tracks I didn't know are awesome...
    It's great they released a double CD with more than 20 songs... Now, I think I will start looking for old vinyls of R.E.M.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm