Options

Changing lead singers...

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Is there anyone else who thinks it is borderline heresey for a band to replace a lead singer?

I like that INXS is trying to come back, but without Michael Hutchence, they aren't INXS to me. Another example is Queen. I was shocked to discover they were touring with a new lead singer. Brian May and the guys are awesome musicians, and were a huge part of what Queen was, but I believe it died with Freddie Mercury.

There are a <very> few exceptions. Van Halen could be considered one, but Eddie's guitar was always more the 'voice' of the band than any singer.

I don't want to give the impression that musicians are interchangeable. I think it would be really hard to replace Jeff, Mike or Stone. But I think it is impossible to replace the voice of a band.

I think once a singer is gone, it is best to do what Audioslave or Velvet Revolver ( or Pearl Jam for that matter) did and start a new band.
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    You start a new band and move on. Simple as that. The singer is the voice of the band.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I think in case of the doors or queen it is more a trip down memory lane. I don't think a band can record a new album and say it's the same band. At least not when they where together for a long time and have been succesful.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AC/DC replaced their singer.

i think it depends on the band.
    i grew up on inxs so i do think its borderline heresy in that case.

Queen without freddie mercury is not Queen as far as i'm concern
    same with thin lizzy
    dead kennedys are doing it. misfits did it. jesus even alice have done it. no thank you.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    It can be done early.

Faith No More did it before they became famous and it is kind of cool to go back and hear the first guy now. It seems callous to say since, for example, Mike McCready has been such a huge part of what Pearl Jam is, but it is a little easier to replace musicians than singers.

Like I said before, I like the idea of what Audioslave is. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more in rock. It seems to happen a little too much in hip hop. People are always popping up everywhere. It is hard to follow.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Like I said before, I like the idea of what Audioslave is. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more in rock. It seems to happen a little too much in hip hop. People are always popping up everywhere. It is hard to follow.

i like the idea of what audioslave COULD be.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Genesis did it too, with great success.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Is there anyone else who thinks it is borderline heresey for a band to replace a lead singer?

I like that INXS is trying to come back, but without Michael Hutchence, they aren't INXS to me. Another example is Queen. I was shocked to discover they were touring with a new lead singer. Brian May and the guys are awesome musicians, and were a huge part of what Queen was, but I believe it died with Freddie Mercury.

There are a <very> few exceptions. Van Halen could be considered one, but Eddie's guitar was always more the 'voice' of the band than any singer.

I don't want to give the impression that musicians are interchangeable. I think it would be really hard to replace Jeff, Mike or Stone. But I think it is impossible to replace the voice of a band.

I think once a singer is gone, it is best to do what Audioslave or Velvet Revolver ( or Pearl Jam for that matter) did and start a new band.
    I agree. There are exceptions where it can work, I suppose (i.e., AC/DC), but I don't think you should replace the lead singer. Like someone mentioned, bands should do what Velvet Revolver and Audioslave did and create a new band. New name ... new material.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    The thing with Queen though is that their not touring under just the Queen name. Its Queen + Paul Rodgers. So I think its a little different... And man, I saw them a few weeks back. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. I was blown away. They were probably the best sounding band I have seen live.

I think with Audioslave is a different thing though. Their music style totally changed. There's no way they could go on with the name Rage.
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    It can be done early.

Faith No More did it before they became famous and it is kind of cool to go back and hear the first guy now. It seems callous to say since, for example, Mike McCready has been such a huge part of what Pearl Jam is, but it is a little easier to replace musicians than singers.

Pantera did it too. Before Phil joined the band and they released Cowboys From Hell, they were a glam metal band!!! Kinda hard to imagine, huh?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    The thing with Queen though is that their not touring under just the Queen name. Its Queen + Paul Rodgers. So I think its a little different... And man, I saw them a few weeks back. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. I was blown away. They were probably the best sounding band I have seen live.

I think with Audioslave is a different thing though. Their music style totally changed. There's no way they could go on with the name Rage.

Hey, I have an honest question. I'm going to sound like a jerk, but I really want to know. Was there anyone else at that show?
    The reason I ask is because my wife's work had somehing like 1000 tickets that they were just giving away and none of the employees took them
    I love my female wife...
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    It depends on the band IMO. If the singer is also the principle songwriter, then it's kind of difficult to change singers and have it feel genuine. If on the other hand, someone in the band writes the majority of the material, you have a bit of latitude. The catch being a guy with a signature sound to his voice like Layne Staley. Even though Jerry wrote most of the music and a lot of lyrics, Layne brough intangibles to the table that cannot be easily replicated.

Pink Floyd replaced Syd. New Edition replaced Bobby Brown. I'm sure that there are others...I just can't think right now. Both acts I cited had significant success after replacing an integral part of thier sound.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Hey, I have an honest question. I'm going to sound like a jerk, but I really want to know. Was there anyone else at that show?
    The reason I ask is because my wife's work had somehing like 1000 tickets that they were just giving away and none of the employees took them

The ACC was about 3/4 full.

I was kinda suprised that it wasn't sold out. I think it might of been because of the high ticket prices. I was sitting in the upper level and my tickets were like $80. The tickets in the lower section were like $130...or something like that. So that might of scared off some people. But its weird that people weren't taking free tickets. I would of been all over that.
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I think that when any band changes or replaces one if it's key elements that made it unique it should change it's name and become a new band. Especially when it comes to singers who tend to be the 'sound' of a band.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Mike Patton wasn't Faith No More's original singer was he?

I don't like their earlier material with the original singer, but love FNM with Mike. So in that case, it works.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220

I know the U.S. tour started in Jacksonville, and that was Q + PR's only Florida date. The ticket prices were between $35 and $200. About a week before the show, they had a 2 for 1, and they still managed to get only about 3500 people to show up.

I remember seeing the box office somewhere, and it was reported that they sold 3500 out of 5000 available seats, which was inaccurate- the arena here holds at least 14000, probably closer to 16k. They must have been counting only the lower level or something.

My mom's a pretty big Queen fan, and I was going to take her for her birthday, but it turned out that she'd be out of town that weekend, so I didn't go.

I think ticket prices had a lot to do with it.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.