Options

Greatest Hits Albums

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited May 2006 in Other Music
What bands do you like enough to own and regularly listen to their hits collection, but not to own much more?

For me, its Soundgarden, INXS, Collective Soul and Van Halen. All very good bands, but all the hits on one cd does it for me. Faith No More kind of falls into that category too, but I am still trying to score a cheap copy of "Angel Dust"

I'm also thinking of getting the Chilli Peppers and the Hootie and the Blowfish greatest hits.

Also, Queen's greatest hits is all I have from them. But, I'm convinced had I seen Freddy perform live, they would be one of my favorite bands.
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Guns N' Roses, but if you like the first couple on it pick up Appetite for Destruction also.
  • Options
    sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    Faith No More kind of falls into that category too, but I am still trying to score a cheap copy of "Angel Dust"

Cheap or not, I'll take "Angel Dust" over any of FNM's greatest hits CDs anyday. Virtually every song on that one's essential, IMHO.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Beastie Boys

White Zombie / Rob Zombie
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    I would recommend the RHCP hits album for the dvd.
    Van Halen's "Best of Both Worlds" compilation is good too for the casual listener.

I usually buy Hits albums from bands I already like just for the bonus dvd or bonus tracks etc.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    I would recommend the RHCP hits album for the dvd.
    Van Halen's "Best of Both Worlds" compilation is good too for the casual listener.

I usually buy Hits albums from bands I already like just for the bonus dvd or bonus tracks etc.

I have the first Van Halen greatest hits and that is more then enough for me. But without going into that the actual reason why I am replying is that I loath when bands I like put out greatest hits cds and add extra tracks-I'm looking at you Chili Peppers and you Courtney Love- that's why I was glad that RVM didn't have anything new, like sure it had the remixes etc and stuff like Breath that was not on studio which is cool enough but they didn't make you shell out again, another reason why I love this band. You want a moral choice? Pearl Jam for President

quick article that touches on the greatest hits thing http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=190159

edit-to answer the orginal question I have Queen, and Cat Stevens and a few others that more then satisfies me, but the ultimate greatest hits band is Canada's own Tea Party.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    Off the top of my head...

Collective Soul
    Counting Crows
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Gordon Lightfoot
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    isn't funny how some of these bands people put as greatest hits only acts are ones that you personally are like "holy shit are kidding me? have you heard-this album- or seen them live?" just me
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Van Halen & Journey
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Tom Petty
    Def Leppard
    Bon Jovi
    Foreigner
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    van halen first greatest hits cd. fuck sammy.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    blur
    collective soul
    soundgarden
    bob marley
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    It's interesting this. I find that usually greatest hits albums are great if you think you MIGHT like a band, but you want to find out. I buy them for this purpose, and then move on to their albums if I like the greatest hits. For me this year, buying The Cure's greatest hits was a new door opened. I'm now seeking out the abums.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i have tons. id have to look in my cd case at home, but it's a long list... from alice in chains down to neil young. i find for most of the bands that dont put new music out anymore, i dont need anything more than the greatest hits. dont ask me why.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    It's interesting this. I find that usually greatest hits albums are great if you think you MIGHT like a band, but you want to find out. I buy them for this purpose, and then move on to their albums if I like the greatest hits. For me this year, buying The Cure's greatest hits was a new door opened. I'm now seeking out the abums.
    That was the 1st time a greatest hits CD did that for me. Freshman year of college, I was on a Cure/Smiths/Depeche Mode phase.
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    I've got quite a few hits packages

Parliament
    Bob Marley (Is there a better hits disc than "Legend"? I don't think so.)
    John Lennon
    John Cougar
    Bruce Springsteen
    Talking Heads
    Tears For Fears
    James Brown (this one might be close to Legend for consistency)
    Eagles
    Supremes
    Temptations
    Sam Cooke
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Bryan Adams
    Prince (this is one artist on this list whose album catalog I also have quite a bit of)
    Tribe Called Quest
    The Cars
    Forgot - Journey, Fleetwood Mac, CCR

lots of this stuff I grew up hearing on the radio, but never felt the need to go ahead and get really into the artist and by multiple albums. I just wanted the songs I heard over and over again in my youth. Hits discs are good for that.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Alice In Chains
    Nirvana
    RHCP
    No Doubt
    Bruce Springsteen
    PJ(Of Course)
    Tom Petty
    Neil Young
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    The only Greatest Hits I have is one of the Queen ones (not the good one though) and the RHCP one. Otherwise I try to get albums as it feels more natural.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    I think GH collections are great if you're not too into a band, or if there's a bonus. Example: the Stone Temple Pilots. I like 'em OK, but not enough to buy every record. I think they were a great singles band. There's always going to be someone bitching about a song that wasn't included, usually something obscure, but that's the tradeoff. Sure, STP has some album tracks that I like, but not so much that I'm going to drop another $30 or $40 on a few indivual CDs so I can have them.

Just my $.02
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • Options
    Reverend Horton Heat
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I have quiet a few of them

Alice In Chains
    Bad Company
    Beastie Boys
    Bob Marley
    Big Sugar
    Boston
    Collective Soul
    The Cult
    David Bowie