Most depressing song ever?

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited April 2008 in Other Music
What do you think the most depressing song ever is?

I am listening to Peter Gabriel's "No Way Out" right now, and that is my vote (I'm not just caught up in the moment, I've always said it is too depressing)

Basically, a man and his wife are in an accident, the woman is laying on the ground, and the man knows she has no shot at making it...

"..The color in your shirt is darkening, against the paleness of your skin..."

So anyway, what do some of you think is the most depressing song ever?
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Hurt, but I ALSO think that the lyrics are some of the best ever written.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Well, "Black" is pretty depressing, especially whenever Ed adds the "We...we belong together...somewhere" tag.

Theres plenty of depressing songs. The most depressing one that comes to mind is Mad Season's "River of Deceit". My mood instantly changes listening to that song. Pink Floyd's "Jugband Blues" is sad too.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Pearl Jam- Nothingman
    The Cure- Lovesong
    Radiohead- Fake Plastic Trees
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    CREEP
    nutshell
    down in a hole
    anything by the cure
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The Verve - "The Drugs Don't Work"
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    "Down In a Hole" and "Creep" are depressing too. The Vaseline's original "Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam" (The song Nirvana covered in Unplugged) is very depressing.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    way to blue - nick drake

.....and just about any other nick drake song. great music though.

AND

tears in heaven - eric claptan
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Blur- This is a low
    Lou Reed- Perfect Day
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Kitchenware & Candybars by Stone Temple Pilots. It's a depressing song. Weiland's girlfriend went through abortion in that song.
  • Elliott Smith - Between the Bars
    NERDS!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Down in a Hole and Immortality are pretty depressing. The End might be the most depressing song ever though.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    the disintegration record by the cure.
    i am listing whole records for the theme
    quadrophenia - the who
    joy division - substance
    morrissey - name your song
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • leavin hereleavin here Posts: 145
    Lost Cause by Beck just kills me

oh one more: Race You by the Figurines

theres a lot more, but its bedtime!
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Broken Heart by Spiritualized.
  • counting crows- speedway
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • There are so many. A few off the top of my head are ...

Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole (I'm not even an AIC fan)
    Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
    The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I'll echo everyone who is saying "The Drugs Don't Work" and I'll add "Bulletproof...I Wish I Was" by Radiohead

I will also add anything by Gwen Stefani, Fall Out Boy, or Fergie to the list because it all depresses the hell out of me. Do they really need to prove that they can spell in every song?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Black Sabbath - Hand of Doom
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • beckerbecker Posts: 9
    how to disappear completely - radiohead
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Tiny Vessels-DCFC

Fond Farewell-Elliot Smith

Hallelujah - Buckley (just the way he sings it)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Walk away - Ben Harper
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    nin- Hurt
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL ,go ahead jump off the building after listening to this whole album .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • indiffgrlindiffgrl Posts: 39
    Janis Joplin- Maybe
    Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen....... Learn to forget....... fingers weive quick minarets speak in secret alphabet.
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL ,go ahead jump off the building after listening to this whole album .......

My friends and I used to always go to midnight movies (mostly The Song Remains the Same) Anyway...I got to a point where I made it clear that I flat out refused to go to see The Wall anymore. Now that was a heavy damn movie.

(oh....and we used to make fun of the Rocky Horror people....because we were, obviously, sooooo much cooler. ;) )
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    AIC - Dirt
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Elliott Smith - Between the Bars

i was going to pick "twilight" by him. never have i heard a song that is as bleak and hopeless as that one. it turns my stomach sometimes. then there's the added spook factor of his suicide while working on that very album...
  • alice in chains- junkhead
    radiohead- fake plastic trees
    smashing pumpkins- bodies
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I neglected to add Soma by the Pumpkins.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I believe REM - Everybody Hurts is one of the most depressing songs that could ever come into my eardrums.

Alice in Chains - down in a hole is really depressing too, especially if you're struggling with any type of problems.