R.E.M. Toronto June 8

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Incredible show. "So Fast So Numb," "Electrolite," "Begin the Begin," "These Days," "Ignoreland," "Fall on Me," "7 Chinese Brothers," and pretty much the whole new album. After all these years I finally saw them and got a hell of a show.

Anyone else there?
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yes, it was pretty outstanding. My first time seeing them as well.

I love I'm going to DJ, thought live was even better. The little acoustic number was pretty sweet as well.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I was there. The National and Modest were pretty good. REM were okay as well, but nothing special. Their new stuff sounded great, but overall their songs didn't sound different from their albums at all.

No jamming and not many moments were I was like "wow". Maybe it's because I just saw the Raconeurs and they were amazing, or maybe it's because it was a large venue show (even though I had great 200 level seats), but I didn't walk away thinking their show live was anything special. The crowd wasn't realy into it either.

Sorry to be so negative, but I'm just being honest. I think I'll stick with their cd's.
  • I was! I thought the band was on fire, especially Michael, although that's always a given. I was disappointed with the crowd though. I think they brought the mood down. The set list was great, and I loved Electrolite, which was a beautiful surprise for me. Was hoping for The Great Beyond or Walk Unafraid but still think their choice of material from 14(?) albums was great, although heavy on the Accelerate songs. That was to be expected I know, and I love the new album, but I thought we'd get more oldies. A great show though overall!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    can't wait for them in philly.. I would love to get begin the begin and 7 chinese brothers in that show. What time did the national come on stage?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    In Toronto the National came on right when the doors opened - 6:30

Modest Mouse came on around 7:30, and REM came on around 9:00
  • I was! I thought the band was on fire, especially Michael, although that's always a given. I was disappointed with the crowd though. I think they brought the mood down. The set list was great, and I loved Electrolite, which was a beautiful surprise for me. Was hoping for The Great Beyond or Walk Unafraid but still think their choice of material from 14(?) albums was great, although heavy on the Accelerate songs. That was to be expected I know, and I love the new album, but I thought we'd get more oldies. A great show though overall!

The set was heavy on Accelerate songs, but since Accelerate is very good, that isn't a problem.

Plus, since the Accelerate songs are so short, they didn't use them as an excuse to play a shorter show. They played 27 (!) songs. The only other band I have seen do that many songs is Pearl Jam. I thought the crowd was very attentive, but quiet. Better than a crowd that isn't even paying attention.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • pipedreamspipedreams Posts: 99
    Red Lukin wrote:
    In Toronto the National came on right when the doors opened - 6:30

Modest Mouse came on around 7:30, and REM came on around 9:00

Thank you kindly. I am going to Raleigh tonite and this info is very helpful.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    i am going on Friday in Boston (well near Boston)
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    pipedreams wrote:
    Thank you kindly. I am going to Raleigh tonite and this info is very helpful.

Same here. The ticket time for Philly is 7pm, so I guess I should expect The National to go on then. Hope I can get to my seat in time!
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Thanks for the info. It will be great to hear the older songs.
    Anyone else doing the mad drive from PJ Va Beach to R.E.M. Philly?
  • Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    TiaMija wrote:
    Thanks for the info. It will be great to hear the older songs.
    Anyone else doing the mad drive from PJ Va Beach to R.E.M. Philly?

Yep, 5 of us in our crew
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown