small faces

murph83murph83 Posts: 122
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I heard this band in a store in Toronto and they sounded reallly good. Anyone familar with them? please recommend which albums I should pick up. I'm guessing maybe the greatest hits if there is one available would be the best to start with. Anyways, just wanted to know what people thought of them and how many fans are out there.

peace
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• murph83 wrote:
    I heard this band in a store in Toronto and they sounded reallly good. Anyone familar with them? please recommend which albums I should pick up. I'm guessing maybe the greatest hits if there is one available would be the best to start with. Anyways, just wanted to know what people thought of them and how many fans are out there.

peace

I'm not a fan, but they were alright.

You could try Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, I suppose.
  • yeah, i 'd recommend them. best place to start would be a greatest hits package... they have a double cd out called Darlings Of Whapping Wharf Launderette... it pretty much covers all their hits and lesser known stuff. Great band
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The only album of theirs i have is Itchycoo Park which is pretty good, particularly the title track and Sunday Afternoon.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • I love the Small Faces and the 'splinter' bands it created.

There are only 5 real Small Faces albums. (I don't count Playmates and 78 in the shade).

Pick up:

The Small Faces
    From The beginning
    Small Faces (self titled #2)
    Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
    There are but 4 Small Faces

If you want a good compilation album pick up:
    Autumn Stone

After you have thoroughly immersed yourself in the Small Faces, get the first two Humble Pie albums: As Safe As Yesterday Is and Town and Country.

You also need to get the first three Faces albums: First Step, A Nod Is As Good As A Wink....., and Long Player.

All of these are essential listening if you are into the late 60s, early 70s British rock-blues sound.
  • murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    I picked up 'absolutely the best' yesterday and I must say I really like it. I will have to pick up some other albums after I get sick of listening to this one.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    'tin soldier' is one of my fave songs.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    murph83 wrote:
    I picked up 'absolutely the best' yesterday and I must say I really like it. I will have to pick up some other albums after I get sick of listening to this one.

I got their antology very good listening it is too. Some classic songs like "all or nothing", "E to D" , Itchycoo , tin soldier etc.....

Steve Marriott had one the greatest voices ever, pity he was a such a schizo
    Humble Pie's first two album are available on a double album package much like the Beach Boys ones now available.

They did an amazing live cover of "If I was a Carpenter" the Tim Hardin song.
    They cover of "Every little bit hurts" surpasses the orginal. I have currently got their greatest hits out on tour to a mate. He has it with three months and I don't think he has listened to it yet.