Mad World by Gary Jules...

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I can't stop listening to this song! I just got turned on to it recently. Any one else love it? I guess it's from the movie Donnie Darko, but I was introduced to it through Gears of War.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shareshare Posts: 551
    listen to the original by TFF. even better.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • I think the Gary Jules version is much more haunting. TFF version, though the original, is far to "80's" for my liking.
    Be Sound...
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    share wrote:
    listen to the original by TFF. even better.
    True story. The Gary Jules version is shit imo. It was only ok when it first came out, and then it was overplayed so much. Now it annoys me more than James Blunt.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I like both. But for different reasons obviously. :)

The newer version is very haunting and soothing, but then I grew up with Tears for Fears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urW5lfAcaM8
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I love it! I love Donnie Darko too! :D
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    The TFF version sounds like it belongs in an Austin Powers movie.

Gary Jules is waaaaaaay better!
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • DeniDeni Posts: 233
    The first time I ever heard that song I was over at the Harry Potter message board and somebody showed this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QX1Qnti5w&mode=related&search=

Its very beautiful. Very haunting and sad.
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Deni wrote:
    The first time I ever heard that song I was over at the Harry Potter message board and somebody showed this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QX1Qnti5w&mode=related&search=

Its very beautiful. Very haunting and sad.

I had to stop it, it almost ruined the song for me. I can't take anything Harry Potter serious. It's like putting the song to serious looking clips of Sesame Street.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    I had to stop it, it almost ruined the song for me. I can't take anything Harry Potter serious. It's like putting the song to serious looking clips of Sesame Street.

*shrugs* Um... Okay.

Personally, I love Harry Potter. ;)

Peace and Love
    Deni
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Deni wrote:
    *shrugs* Um... Okay.

Personally, I love Harry Potter. ;)

lol...didn't mean to insult anyone. I thought the first couple movies were decent and all and I get the hype with the books. I dunno, just the seriousness and mood of the song seems weird in a montage of a wizard fantasy. :)
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • It was in the charts here in England a couple of years ago.

I'll put it up there with my top 10 depressing songs. I don't like Tears For Fears so I will say I prefer his version.
    lol...didn't mean to insult anyone. I thought the first couple movies were decent and all and I get the hype with the books. I dunno, just the seriousness and mood of the song seems weird in a montage of a wizard fantasy. :)

You didn't offend me. I say to each his or her own. No biggie.

You like what you like... know what I mean. :)

Peace and Love
    Deni
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    the gary jules version is definitely more haunting for me. the words/lyrics take on a more depressing tone than w/ the tears for fears version.

i remember hearing this in donny darko and being so amazed. i loved the song and its placement in the movie. kinda morbid of me i guess?!? the tears for fears music doesn't seem to mesh w/ the lyrics to me. maybe it's because i heard the cover first?
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Both versions are unbearably boring. Think it got to xmas number one here a few years ago.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Both versions are unbearably boring. Think it got to xmas number one here a few years ago.

yep! Nice cheery song for christmas!
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    yep! Nice cheery song for christmas!

Lol. Nice festive warmth about it, brings the whole family together.

My main memory of that song was actually from around christmas time and i was given the horrible task of clearing up the stock room in my old work. Always used to have the radio up full blast, and then that tune came on. Not exactly a whistle while you work type song.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Lol. Nice festive warmth about it, brings the whole family together.

My main memory of that song was actually from around christmas time and i was given the horrible task of clearing up the stock room in my old work. Always used to have the radio up full blast, and then that tune came on. Not exactly a whistle while you work type song.

so all in all a fun christmas then!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    So is this Donnie Darko movie worth watching?? What's it about/how does the song fit?