Critics Choice

larslars Posts: 524
edited May 2007 in Other Music
There are some bands and solists that always get a good review no matter how their cds are. Björk is a good example of this. Volta is a fair effort but all the reviews I´ve read are 6 outta 6, a masterpiece!!! No fuckin way volta is a masterpiece that can´t be better. But then again, it´s one of the critics favorites so what can you expect
You can´t trust a vegetarian.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    radiohead
    tool
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    radiohead
    tool
    I don't remember there being any fanboyish reviews of 10,000 days. all the ones I can recall said "5 or 6 songs, rest is filler, probably could have done more in 5 years but they turned out some good songs here"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't remember there being any fanboyish reviews of 10,000 days. all the ones I can recall said "5 or 6 songs, rest is filler, probably could have done more in 5 years but they turned out some good songs here"

in that case, let me praise the heavens that the spell is broken :)

i do notice, however, you arent denying the radiohead ass-kissing by critics ;)
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623

Critics, people on this board, half the people who walk the earth. You're spot on.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    in that case, let me praise the heavens that the spell is broken :)

hah well, it is of great amusement to me that OK computer is at all at once brilliant (in my opinion) and also VASTLY overrated. I read something in NME recently that claimed that in the 10 year wake of that album, music has ceased to exist entirely (those were the actual words). I ripped it to pieces and hurled it acoss the room. I hate that publication with every inch of my body and soul.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Ok computer is a classic....don´t deny that. But you´re right that Radiohead is a critics hands up everytime they release someting....even if its Amnesiac which probably would have gotten a 2/5 if it didnt have radioheads mark on it. Another example of critics choice is Ruffus Wainright...he apparently can´t make anything wrong...everything he touches turns to gold. Yeah, right!
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Nothing new about this. Clapton hasn't put out anything that great for a long time. But you'd never know that by reading rolling stone. Same with Dillon. Those guys could fart in a microphone and RS would label it a masterpiece.
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    Nothing new about this. Clapton hasn't put out anything that great for a long time. But you'd never know that by reading rolling stone. Same with Dillon. Those guys could fart in a microphone and RS would label it a masterpiece.
    I agree with you on clapton, except I'd go as far as to say that he never justified the hype, even with cream etc. by dillon I assume you mean dylan and I will tell you that you couldnt be more wrong. Dylan's last 3 albums are fantastic and by far his best work in since blood on the tracks, so we are going back 30 years or so here. listen to time out of mind and tell me it isnt great.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    hah well, it is of great amusement to me that OK computer is at all at once brilliant (in my opinion) and also VASTLY overrated. I read something in NME recently that claimed that in the 10 year wake of that album, music has ceased to exist entirely (those were the actual words). I ripped it to pieces and hurled it acoss the room. I hate that publication with every inch of my body and soul.

I personally can't think of an album which as matched it's standard, they raised the bar so high with that album everyone's trying to still catch up.

You might think that silly but when the dust as settled and people realise that Oasis only produced 1 decent album the Arctic Monkey are very talented but nothing new, with the exception of The White Stripes nobody as produced such a unique and utterly brilliant album to date.

As for Bjork she may be overrated by critics but agin she's a unique voice, nobody before can be really compared to her and her influence is massive to all who came after.

Radiohead & Bjork are simply 2 of the most significant acts of the last 20 years.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Arctic Monkeys
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    I personally can't think of an album which as matched it's standard, they raised the bar so high with that album everyone's trying to still catch up.

You might think that silly but when the dust as settled and people realise that Oasis only produced 1 decent album the Arctic Monkey are very talented but nothing new, with the exception of The White Stripes nobody as produced such a unique and utterly brilliant album to date.
    No offense, but it's statements like this that cause me to be extremely irritated at the sight of the word "Radiohead".

Are you seriously suggesting that there hasn't been a single album in the last ten years that's "as good as OK Computer"?
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    There is a difference between critical darlings and bands like Radiohead and Tool. Radiohead and Tool have platinum records, so they are clearly more than critic's bands. And Tool gets panned in the music press quite often.

I think the aforementioned Bjork is a better example, as someone that the press can't get enough of, but honestly not that many people listen to.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/42561-open-your-box

"Ono is vocodered into a Troutman-esque gremlin and blurred into an anonymous orgasmic sigh over a brutally functional garage bounce."

What the fuck does that mean?
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/42561-open-your-box

"Ono is vocodered into a Troutman-esque gremlin and blurred into an anonymous orgasmic sigh over a brutally functional garage bounce."

If I had to guess, it sounds like someone suggesting that her voice was altered (vocodered) into some form of gremlin sound and then blurred besides so that it sounded like an orgasmic sigh. All on top of a basic, predictable dance beat.

Maybe?! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    If I had to guess, it sounds like someone suggesting that her voice was altered (vocodered) into some form of gremlin sound and then blurred besides so that it sounded like an orgasmic sigh. All on top of a basic, predictable dance beat.

Maybe?! :D

I'm sure that reviewer will go and commit Harry Carrey now, for being so transparently readable and not obscurantist enough. :D
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I'm sure that reviewer will go and commit Harry Carrey now, for being so transparently readable and not obscurantist enough. :D

:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/42561-open-your-box

hmmmm..

kinda reminds me of the time (teen years) when my girlfriend and i had a 60 second lustfuck in the back of my dad's car. in the garage, of course. :D
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Just as long as you were using protection (ie, not listening to Yoko Ono) at the time! :D
  • audiodave wrote:
    No offense, but it's statements like this that cause me to be extremely irritated at the sight of the word "Radiohead".

Are you seriously suggesting that there hasn't been a single album in the last ten years that's "as good as OK Computer"?

I'd like to see you name another album since which has had it's impact, not only has it sold exceptionally well it's influence is massive, a Darkside Of the Moon for the 90's and yes I stand by that quote.

We're not talking multi platinum world conquering monsters like U2 & Coldplay or RHCP, this is about the fact that no other rock album as sounded as original since.

I remember when it came out I listened to it 4 times in a row and it still manages to amaze me.

Yes other albums of course before have been more significant but i can't really think of any other album since.
    I'd like to see you name another album since which has had it's impact, not only has it sold exceptionally well it's influence is massive, a Darkside Of the Moon for the 90's and yes I stand by that quote.

We're not talking multi platinum world conquering monsters like U2 & Coldplay or RHCP, this is about the fact that no other rock album as sounded as original since.

I remember when it came out I listened to it 4 times in a row and it still manages to amaze me.

Yes other albums of course before have been more significant but i can't really think of any other album since.

The fact that you dont think anybody has made a better record since then disgusts me, that fact that you even compared it to Darkside of the Moon disgusts me even more.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I've no doubt that it's influenced a lot of people, but how many people who claim to be influenced by it would mention that fact if it wasn't considered cool to love OK Computer? It's completely impossible to measure things in terms of terms of influence. Music can influence people in so many ways, but the only time we ever hear about it is in the music business.

I'm well aware that we aren't talking about bands like U2, Coldplay and RHCP, as the media never claims any of them to be as infalable as Radiohead. They're all pretty generic bands IMO.

I can name you albums that have been released in the last ten years that I feel are better than OK Computer, and have influenced me a great deal more than anything Radiohead has ever done, but i'm not going to. It all boils down to the fact that you like Radiohead, and I find them to be grossly overrated.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    Kid A was better than OK Computer.

I hate critics. Too much ass kissing for too many bands. Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, Led Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, Velvet Underground, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Sonic Youth, etc. It gets to the point where criticism of any number of bands on the Great Rock Pedestal leads that critic to be shunned and ridiculed. The hype poisons opinions of bands, often to the point where a critic will give an album a good rating because of the band who made it, not necessarily based on the merit of the album itself. For example, I read a review of The Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" where the critic said that he would have given it a 5/10 but since it was The Beatles, he gave it an 8/10. I despise shit like that.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • The fact that you dont think anybody has made a better record since then disgusts me, that fact that you even compared it to Darkside of the Moon disgusts me even more.

I don't believe Ok to be on the same scale as DSOM, PF are my fav band of all time, DSOM has much more years on it and it's impact is always downplayed by critics, it seems it's just not cool to like Floyd, take it from me i've taken some shit for liking this Band.

Floyd is far more important than most of bands critics go on and on about, whereas I like the bands I've listed below I feel they have no where near as much influence as Floyd and have stretched over the different genres and woven into the fabric of music.

If we're talking critics darlings then this list sums it up for me.

Nirvana
    The Smiths
    The Pixies
    White Stripes
    Henry Rollins
    Wire
    Sex Pistols
    Jay z
    Arctic Monkeys

Your right Radiohead do get overrated and yes I am a huge fan of their music but I don't see any other band challenging Rock like they do, their maybe some band you've seen in your mates basement or something you think is better but the UK for one isn't showing me anything different at all.

I just except more originality from bands and why do Oasis get so much cred, NME slag their albums off but continually big them up as a Band.

They are a second rate pub covers band who've never lived up to their debut, at least RH have tried to challenge the conventions of music, Noel is always making smarmy comments about RH & Blur, Albarn Good Bad etc but the truth is he's a one trick pony with limited ability and a big mouth.

Albarn & Yorke & Co are infinitely more talented, so yes add Oasis to the list never has the Emperors New Clothes comment been so appropriate.

Nirvana
    The Smiths
    The Pixies
    White Stripes
    Henry Rollins
    Wire
    Sex Pistols
    Jay z
    Arctic Monkeys
    the smiths are one of the few "critical darlings" who have ever fully justified the acclaim. fucking incredible band. end of.
    I don't believe Ok to be on the same scale as DSOM, PF are my fav band of all time, DSOM has much more years on it and it's impact is always downplayed by critics, it seems it's just not cool to like Floyd, take it from me i've taken some shit for liking this Band.

Floyd is far more important than most of bands critics go on and on about, whereas I like the bands I've listed below I feel they have no where near as much influence as Floyd and have stretched over the different genres and woven into the fabric of music.

Nirvana
    The Smiths
    The Pixies
    White Stripes
    Henry Rollins
    Wire
    Sex Pistols
    Jay z
    Arctic Monkeys

Your right Radiohead do get overrated and yes I am a huge fan of their music but I don't see any other band challenging Rock like they do, their maybe some band you've seen in your mates basement or something you think is better but the UK for one isn't showing me anything different at all.

I just except more originality from bands and why do Oasis get so much cred, NME slag their albums off but continually big them up as a Band.

They are a second rate pub covers band who've never lived up to their debut, at least RH have tried to challenge the conventions of music, Noel is always making smarmy comments about RH & Blur, Albarn Good Bad etc but the truth is he's a one trick pony with limited ability and a big mouth.

Albarn & Yorke & Co are infinitely more talented, so yes add Oasis to the list never has the Emperors New Clothes comment been so appropriate.

How about you stop ripping off material from the critics and come up with some opinions of your own.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Nirvana
    The Smiths
    The Pixies
    White Stripes
    Henry Rollins
    Wire
    Sex Pistols
    Jay z
    Arctic Monkeys

Fair enough. Radiohead do challenge things, but i'm just not a huge fan. I completely agree with your remarks about NME and Blur though. I was never a huge Blur or Oasis fan, but the diversity of Blur far outshines that of Oasis.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Yeah Radiohead gets the hell praised out of them by critics but they've been consistantly brilliant and ever-changing since The Bends. A lot of bands get that attention but Radiohead is one that is more deserving of it.
    I agree completely.

Floyd from Meddle to The Wall is the finest music put out in the 70s.

The Pixies are so fucking good and soooo influential. I don't see how anyone would have a problem with them.

Nirvana's definetly one of those bands. Every single one of it's contemporaries (soundgarden, alice, and pearl jam to be specific) make Nirvana look like a bunch of fools but don't get nearly the credit.

I love Bjork. Don't know much else about her or her reviews, but I love her.

Sex Pistols were one of the greatest punk bands to ever exist..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • How about you stop ripping off material from the critics and come up with some opinions of your own.

They are my opinions, Oasis in my view are the most overrated Band of the last 15 years, they've never lived up to their debut album just produce uninspired and pale imitations of what went before.

The fact they are still lauded as some jewel in the crown of British music is beyond me, their contribution to music can be summed by their ability to encourage anyone it's possible to be in a band,( not unlike the Sex Pistols) for that they get credit. They revitalized a flagging British music scene with a cracking debut album but since have said nothing already that hasn't been said before.

This will be their legacy. they have contributed practically nothing creative to music apart from encouraging loads of 2nd rate bands to flood the market in the 90's

In that respect Blur (akin to the clash) were far more instrumental in influencing people musically and were far more deserving of a Brit for contribution to British music.