Singer/songwriters=boybands

larslars Posts: 524
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Singer/songwriters are the popmusic of today just like boybands were it in the 90s. James Blunt, James Morrison, etc. = Nsync, Take That, etc. Just terrible catchy pop music
You can´t trust a vegetarian.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    As long as it keeps selling there will be people making it.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I find James Blunt's music utterly repugnant.
  • Original boyband = The Beatles

(As I type this I am wearing a Beatles shirt and I am a big fan. Please don't flame me, but it's the truth)
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Original boyband = The Beatles

(As I type this I am wearing a Beatles shirt and I am a big fan. Please don't flame me, but it's the truth)

Yes and no, there are some differences between what I would consider a boy band and the Beatles. The Beatles had the boyband visual appeal however the Beatles played their own instruments and sung their own songs, and they weren't all about love or losing your girlfriend. I'd actually say the Monkees were the first boy band. Although the Monkees evolved as well.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • The Beatles first started out as a boy band. Boy bands back then did play their instruments and write song, they were just for teenage girls. I Want To Hold Your Hand, Please Please Me, those were pop songs aimed at teenage girls. Same thing with The Turtles, Bobby Darin, Buddy Holly. It was rock and roll but their target audience was teenage girls. Eventually they became much more than that.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    lars wrote:
    Singer/songwriters are the popmusic of today just like boybands were it in the 90s. James Blunt, James Morrison, etc. = Nsync, Take That, etc. Just terrible catchy pop music

Yeah, but at least the singer/songwriters of today have at least a little artistic merit.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • larslars Posts: 524
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, but at least the singer/songwriters of today have at least a little artistic merit.
    To be honest I think the boybands made catchier tunes as a whole. The irritating singer/songwriters have all got this one hit wonder song that make em big. The rest of the songs on their cds suck. Nonetheless both boybands and singer/songwriters annoy me.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Pop music goes through fads all the time. Brit. invasion - disco - boy bands - singer/songwriter - etc. It's no new thing. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Obviously, what's popular isn't always that great - it's just what sells to the mindless masses.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    MCG wrote:
    Yes and no, there are some differences between what I would consider a boy band and the Beatles. The Beatles had the boyband visual appeal however the Beatles played their own instruments and sung their own songs, and they weren't all about love or losing your girlfriend. I'd actually say the Monkees were the first boy band. Although the Monkees evolved as well.

have you heard the first 3-4 beatles albums?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,848
    Original boyband = The Beatles

I've always disagreed with people who has said this. their early albums, Please Please Me, in particular, isn't exactly classic rock like later albums such as Pepper's or Abbey Road are, but it's not really "pop" either.

take songs like "I Saw Her Standing There" or "She Loves You." Good fast rock n roll that takes the stuff Elvis and Chuck Berry were going just a bit furthur. "Boy bands" don't write their own material or play instruments.

the only similarity I see between the Beatles in their early years with say the Backstreet Boys is their popularity with teenage girls. Of course, the Beatles gave their screaming teenage fans a nice "thanks, now fuck off" by stopping touring and releasing the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single. that single was released four years after Please Please Me came out. the "Boy bands" all faded away after four years while the Beatles were hitting their creative peak.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    lars wrote:
    To be honest I think the boybands made catchier tunes as a whole. The irritating singer/songwriters have all got this one hit wonder song that make em big. The rest of the songs on their cds suck. Nonetheless both boybands and singer/songwriters annoy me.

Yeah but keep in mind none of the boybands wrote any of their stuff. It was all just handed to them to sing and dance to.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    lars wrote:

Singer/songwriters aren't the problem, it's that it's cool right now and the crap rises to the top. There are many good singer/songwriters, past and present.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I would take boy bands over the current state of rock music any day! Sad but its true, Backstreet, man I miss those homos, they sure could move!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    hmmm, i kind of dig music
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • what i find interesting about today's pop music is how neyo and chris brown sound exactly like crappy-adult friendly pop in the mid eighties. but now these kids are into it because of the marketing, pretty funny.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    Travis Meeks is an Awesome Songwriter!!!!
    Damien Rice is another one, but Travis just Kisck-Ass!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/treecolors

This is a real songwriter.
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman