Who should I NOT miss at Bonnarroo??

Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Can you guys please give me some suggestions on who I shouldn't miss at Bonnarroo?

Here's the list of artists I'm already gonna try to see...some minor conflicts with scheduling but it looks like I'm gonna have some time to check out people I'm not so familiar with. Please advise.

Vampire Weekend
Lez Zeppelin
Jose Gonzalez
Tegan & Sara
The Raconteurs
Les Claypool
Willie Nelson
Rilo Kiley
MIA
Metallica (only bc no one else is playing at this time, unelss Anders Osborne is worth seeing?)
My Morning Jacket
Cat Power
BB King
Ben Folds
Iron & Wine
Jack Johnson
Kanye
Pearl Jam
Phil Lesh & Friends
Sigur Ros
Robert Plant & Krauss
Death Cab

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Here's the schedule... http://bonnaroo.com/schedule/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    The only bands I can suggest that you don't have listed are Gogol Bordello, Levon Helm, Ghostland Observatory, Robert Randolph, Drive by Truckers, the Battles and Back Door Slam..check em out..they should be great live.

Here's Levon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5Jl3zxabo
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I would try to see Against Me!...I never thought I would like them but I saw them at Lollapalooza last year and they were really good. I picked up their new album and it's awesome as well. I think they play Saturday, I would definitly check them out
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    I second Ghostland Observatory. They are great live!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Derek Trucks on Sunday
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Broken Social Scene!
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Drive-by Truckers....best band on the bill....bar none.

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss are simply amazing live....:cool:

Les Claypool is the man. :cool:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Robert Randolph, DBT, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, and Grand Ole Party would all be great sets to hit.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • The Swell Season. I don't know who's playing at the same time they are, but if you can swing it, I think they're a MUST. If you've seen the film "Once", The Swell Season is the name that Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova perform under together. If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching, or at least listening to the soundtrack. Glen Hansard (from the band The Frames), is simply phenomenal to watch!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    It's too bad the raconteurs and les claypool are on at the same time. A hard decision there. I guess i am glad i don't have to make it.
  • Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    It's too bad the raconteurs and les claypool are on at the same time. A hard decision there. I guess i am glad i don't have to make it.

One problem with your signature... The Wings are gonna smoke em... And Datsyuk and Zetterberg are gonna teach Malkin and Crosby a thing or two.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • londonwprlondonwpr Posts: 293
    Pat Green is good...he's country, but I really like his stuff. His live show is usually quite good, too...
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Cat Power
    Iron & Wine
    Pearl Jam
    Sigur Ros
    Most of the line-up is ok but not my sort of thing. These ones are essential however. Obviously PJ but Cat Power and Sigur Ros are amazing and Iron & Wine is great.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Against Me!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Against Me!
    Fuck yeah. Great band and brilliant live.

I would also watch Chali 2na from J5 and Talib Kweli.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Robert Randolph's Revival should be epic! You'll probably hear the sickest version of Voodoo Child ever.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    THE SWORD! Saw them in Missoula, MT a few weeks ago and they were rad live. Seriously, fucking awesome
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I would try to see Against Me!...I never thought I would like them but I saw them at Lollapalooza last year and they were really good. I picked up their new album and it's awesome as well. I think they play Saturday, I would definitly check them out

+1
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    on thursday i would be going to "this tent" around 8:30. You are already going there to see Vampire Weekend at 11:30 and there are 2 pretty good bands playing before them... Start with MGMT, stay for Battles, and finish with Vampire Weekend. That's a pretty damn good set of 3 at one tent

too bad MSTRKRFT is playing the same time as MMJ, but you have to go with MMJ on that one.

on saturday i'd try and catch a bit of Against Me at "that Tent" at 2:15 and leave around 3 to go and see some of Gogol Bordello for an hour at "Which Stage" and leave to go to "This Tent" for 4:30 for Cat Power.
    That night I'd be going for the entire show of Sigur Ros and after that going for an hour of Ghostland Observatory over at "This Tent".

I would definately be going to Broken Social Scene on Sunday at 6-7:30 at "The Other Tent"
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    why does MMJ get 3 hours
    Metallica 2.5 hours

but PJ only gets 2 hours?

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    Willie Nelson is one cool kat

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14894300
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Harrybu McCage. I saw Harrybu McCage in Seattle, they played the flood relief benefit, and greatly enjoyed them. I'm hardly a jazz afficionado , but this Matt Cameron side project kicks ass. I'd also catch them because you've two chances on Sunday, one right after Broken Social Scene play their short (1/2 hour) set and once at about the same time as BSS .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Blind3 wrote:
    Harrybu McCage. I saw Harrybu McCage in Seattle, they played the flood relief benefit, and greatly enjoyed them. I'm hardly a jazz afficionado , but this Matt Cameron side project kicks ass. I'd also catch them because you've two chances on Sunday, one right after Broken Social Scene play their short (1/2 hour) set and once at about the same time as BSS .

I wouldn't mind seeing them. I like watching Matt Cameron. It's too bad their sets overlap with the far more important Robert Randolph and Robert Plant/Allison Krauss sets.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Sigur Ros

aside from PJ they were the main reason i was considering going... im pretty pissed i dont have enough money to go... check em out tho for real... they put on a surreal, beautiful show from the footage ive seen
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • doujodoujo Posts: 285
    widespread panic!!!!!!!!!!! they are really awesome live and in that setting, must be unreal.

and why are you sounding so negative about seeing metallica. yea they probably shouldn't be playing bonnarroo and their last album or 2 suck but they are still metallica and put on one hell of a show. plus they may bust out some new songs which hopefully are better than anything off st. anger because that album blew.
    Romanza wrote:
    why does MMJ get 3 hours
    Metallica 2.5 hours

but PJ only gets 2 hours?
    because MMJ is much better than Metallica
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:
    Drive-by Truckers

Early in the day...kick off your Friday with a great set.

I can't say a festival setting is the best environment for them, but they will give you a helluva show.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I'm looking forward to Newton Faulkner
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Another vote here for the Drive-By Truckers. I've seen them many times & they're a great live band.
    I also recommend seeing Sigur Ros, Willie Nelson, and My Morning Jacket.
    And Pearl Jam...but doesn't that go without saying on this board?
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • morockamorocka Posts: 26
    PJ, MMJ, Minus the Bear and Robert Randolph. No one should miss these.
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"