Best Note ever hit on guitar

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Enough about solo's, what's the best single note ever hit in context of a song.

I nominate Machine Gun by Hendrix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvtIS2YGVI
4:18 - 4:30

Can't find video, but the note Buddy Guy sustains for like 30 seconds in the Stevie Ray Vaughan Tribute for "Long Way From Home" is insane too.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the first note of shine on!!! Greatest note ever hit on a guitar, me and my friend actually debated this one night when we were wasted and came to the conclusion that it is the greatest note ever hit
  • Rarely can I give an answer to my all time favourite anything... but I think it is the long note at the end of the Soma solo from siamese dream. If it is vocal notes, then ed's guttaral moan from Porch at MTV unplugged.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Rarely can I give an answer to my all time favourite anything... but I think it is the long note at the end of the Soma solo from siamese dream. If it is vocal notes, then ed's guttaral moan from Porch at MTV unplugged.

wooo soma!
  • Enough about solo's, what's the best single note ever hit in context of a song.

Can't find video, but the note Buddy Guy sustains for like 30 seconds in the Stevie Ray Vaughan Tribute for "Long Way From Home" is insane too.

I also nominate the first note of his solo to Hear My Train a Comin', live in Liseburg, Sweden, September 1st 1970.
  • I nominate Little Wing by Jimi. The first note he hits in the solo.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • How about the first note of "I Feel Fine" by the Beatles, said to be the first record with guitar feedback?
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    its VERY chessy, but the opening note of Thin Lizzys version of Whiskey in the Jar. :)..........i cant believe i cant think of anything better than that!
  • Beginning of Welcome To The Jungle.
  • JordyWordy wrote:
    its VERY chessy, but the opening note of Thin Lizzys version of Whiskey in the Jar. :)..........i cant believe i cant think of anything better than that!

Thats a pretty sweet note!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    How about the first note of "I Feel Fine" by the Beatles, said to be the first record with guitar feedback?

that was my 'best note' choice as well :):)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Thats a pretty sweet note!

a man of taste
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think the sustaining note at the end of GNR's "Coma" is amazing. It gets bent around though, and has some feedback in it (so it's actually a few notes), but the string was only plucked once.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Dunno if it's the best, but the idea of the last note in the Comfortably NUmb solo springs to mind, esp the Pulse version. Man that was some tone !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I was thinking of another. The last Band of Gypsies gig at MSG on January 28th, 1970 has been written up as an acid frazzled disaster due to Hendrix's deathly mental and physical condition, but holy shit, have you heard that repeated, bent high seventh note in the first solo to Earth Blues, that goes on forever and ever until finally, finally, he goes to the octave? It's agonising, tortured, and so perfectly manic that it would scare the shit out of you every time you hear it:

5:15-5:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y2SAyEDSV4

"That's what happens when Earth fucks with Space. never forget that."
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Enough about solo's, what's the best single note ever hit in context of a song.

Machine Gun was the first thing that came to my head when I saw the thread title!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • The opening note of Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak!

Check it out if you've never heard it, it wins by a mile.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    the first note of shine on!!! Greatest note ever hit on a guitar, me and my friend actually debated this one night when we were wasted and came to the conclusion that it is the greatest note ever hit

lmao. I'm glad you guys came to a clear conclusion here:) I love those conversations

I might agree with you on Shine On as well. Without putting any serious thought in while i'm at work

As for the Machine Gun note, that is Mikes favorite as well. He's stated it in many articles.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    There's a note (actually, a brief series of notes) that Stevie Ray Vaughn hits in his song Lenny on the Live at Carnegie Hall disc that is so beautiful, it makes me tear up.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    im going with the prince purple rain sequence
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • The first note in the first major solo in Pink Floyd's Dogs.

Technically I think it's the second solo.

It doesn't get much better then that big bended note.
    was it?....
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    deadnote wrote:
    im going with the prince purple rain sequence
    I regularly lament the mixing of the lead guitar track in that song. you can barely hear it and it's a tragedy because that is one of the most pure, emotional, greatest fucking guitar solos I've ever heard. It sounds like his guitar is crying, and I don't mean that in the lame cliche way that people say that. Truthfully.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • surely in bohemian rhapsody just before the nothing really matters bit at the end.
    statistics wrote:
    surely in bohemian rhapsody just before the nothing really matters bit at the end.
    no
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Good question, I'd nominate half-way through the guitar solo in Zep's I'm Gonna Crawl, when Page goes to the really high note. Beautiful and fits the song perfectly
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    no

yes

(two can play at that game, mister)
    statistics wrote:
    yes

(two can play at that game, mister)
    :) sorry, I just really hate Queen
  • C#
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • C#

Actually think Dm, because it's the saddest of all keys. People weep instantly.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Mick Ronson - Moonage Daydream.
    He could make that that Les Paul and 200 watt Marshall and Wah Wah sing!

Ok, there're are a LOT of great notes in this, but right at 1:45,,,, the girl's face says it all. :cool:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWYGR3xy2Y
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Ok, there're are a LOT of great notes in this, but right at 1:45,,,, the girl's face says it all. :cool:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWYGR3xy2Y

good call. good call.