Do you lookup setlists before a concert?

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Unlike Pearl Jam, most bands play the same setlist night after night. Why do I always lookup the setlist before the concert and ruin the surprise? It's like knowing the end of a movie before going to it, but somehow I can't not look.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Yeah, I've been doing my best to avoid the current Iron Maiden setlist, and I'll continue til I see it live. :D
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I admit it. I look. It usually just gets me more excited.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I usually sneak a peek at PJ's setlists before the show starts... you just have to know where to look :)
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    pjtaper wrote:
    I usually sneak a peek at PJ's setlists before the show starts... you just have to know where to look :)

You can't do me like that! Let's hear it lol
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • pjtaper wrote:

Lower row upper deck seats off to the side....

....pair of binoculars....

....peaking over Boom's shoulder....

I had a nice glimpse of the setlist from the Boston 2 show in 2004. I nearly flipped when I saw "Man of the Hour" on the list.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I only do it if I am on the fence about seeing a "veteran" band.....want to make sure they do enough good stuff.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Unlike Pearl Jam, most bands play the same setlist night after night. Why do I always lookup the setlist before the concert and ruin the surprise? It's like knowing the end of a movie before going to it, but somehow I can't not look.

preparing for the show is something i always do...it's a personal decision but most times i like to know what's gonna happen before it happens...if eric is gonna play a d&the dominos tune i think it's better to give that song a spin before the show to get reacquainted with it so when the show goes down you are ON BOARD already.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Depends on who I'm seeing. If the artist writes different setlists each night, I see no harm in it.

If their set is the same night to night, I typically wouldn't want to know what they've been playing.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    For me it depends on the band. I love Primus and Les Claypool. His setlist are a little different every night so I check them out. the Foo Fighters setlist is the same always so no need. When I saw Neil Young in Dec. his set was the same except for a few changes and who couldn't know this it was all over. When i saw Marlyin Manson in Jan. that was a total surprise I didn't look at all. Later Yostarama
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    i am going to 311 Sunday and I have been checking theirs out, BUT, they are like PJ and play different stuff each night. Other wise, I would not want to look at it.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I usually do, but I should not. For instance Built to Spill has some nights where I look at their setlist and I get really excited an others that are just okay… Well when I saw them I had one that was good but not great and I was a little disappointed I missed out on some of my favorite songs….. If I never looked I would have been happier with what I got.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,970
    You got to... let's just say your favorite song is Red Mosquito. If they do it the night before, you know you're not going to get it, back to back :(.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i do it for a band i'm not too acquainted with so i can get familiar with the songs i will be hearing live
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I always do

cant help it

its that need to know right now part of me.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Depending on the band and whether they have an on-line community that actually keeps track of this stuff, I look up setlists because I like to know what to expect. Indie and unsigned shows are often so spontaneous that you won't get a heads up (which is one of the things that makes them so cool,) but established bands are easier to find out about.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Never. Last week at Springsteen I was front row on the rail and they were taping down the setlists and I made sure not to try to see. I wouldn't want to see it for Pearl Jam either, or any other band. I just like to be surprised. Otherwise its like opening your presents before Christmas.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    i alwasy look at PJ's set list.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • i'm a spoiler guy, so i read set lists. Also, if you want to know about indiana jones SPOILER DON'T READ

Shai Labuf is Indy's son, and the movie is about aliens
    I like bands.