Options

Underated/Overrated threads - Chuck Klosterman

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I just read "Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas" and one of his essays made me think of this forum. Here is the link to the article I'm talking about:
http://vixi.livejournal.com/198971.html

By the way, I love Klosterman's articles and have read all the books.

I particularly loved his analysis of "And The Cradle Will Rock" as I almost thought the same thing when seeing VH last month.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    4. The Beatles: The Beatles are generally seen as the single most important rock band of all time, because they wrote all the best songs. Since both of these facts are true, the Beatles are rated properly.

What a moron, "they wrote all the best songs". I love The Beatles but I relate to the bands from my time more and I think plenty of bands have wrote songs just as good or better than The Beatles. Its not like The Beatles are flawless, they actually have some terrible songs just like basically every band out there.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    I don't think he's saying the Beatles are flawless, or that if you rated the top 50 songs of all times they'd be Beatles songs. (They've got some turds all right, Revolution 9, a few Ringo tunes, some other filler from the White Album, etc.)

I think he's just saying that when people say the Beatles are the most important/influential band of all time, that that statement is correct.

I agree. I imagine if you're an Oasis fan by your name, you'd have to agree they're influential.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I don't think he's saying the Beatles are flawless, or that if you rated the top 50 songs of all times they'd be Beatles songs. (They've got some turds all right, Revolution 9, a few Ringo tunes, some other filler from the White Album, etc.)

I think he's just saying that when people say the Beatles are the most important/influential band of all time, that that statement is correct.

I agree. I imagine if you're an Oasis fan by your name, you'd have to agree they're influential.

Well definitely, I dont doubt they are the most important band ever but I dont like that he said they wrote ALL the best songs. I guess I dont understand the point of his essay, I just like what I like, dont care if it is underrated or overrated. I sometimes question why bands are rated the way they are by fans and critics but it doesnt have any affect on what I am gonna listen to.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    Well definitely, I dont doubt they are the most important band ever but I dont like that he said they wrote ALL the best songs. I guess I dont understand the point of his essay, I just like what I like, dont care if it is underrated or overrated. I sometimes question why bands are rated the way they are by fans and critics but it doesnt have any affect on what I am gonna listen to.

I would say lighten up and try not to take the essay so literally. Klosterman is my favorite writer...he tends to be massively insightful, but there's always a little hyperbole. It's just entertainment...
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    pjl44 wrote:
    I would say lighten up and try not to take the essay so literally. Klosterman is my favorite writer...he tends to be massively insightful, but there's always a little hyperbole. It's just entertainment...
    i concur...i love klosterman. and i always look for a bit of humor and truth in everything that he writes.

maybe chuck is just saying that the beatles...at the time...wrote all the songs that everyone else wished they had written/could've written. ya know...the absolutely brilliant ones, skip the crap ones.

read sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs...then you'll understand klosterman's take on things a bit more :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    iamsampj wrote:
    i concur...i love klosterman. and i always look for a bit of humor and truth in everything that he writes.

maybe chuck is just saying that the beatles...at the time...wrote all the songs that everyone else wished they had written/could've written. ya know...the absolutely brilliant ones, skip the crap ones.

read sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs...then you'll understand klosterman's take on things a bit more :)

Yeah I found that sex, drugs and cocoa puffs to be much stronger than IV, partly because I think he had more time to work on those essays than these ones, but the one about Billy Joel in IV was really good, and the band rating one is hilarious
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    I guess I dont understand the point of his essay

just leave it at that.
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I love Klosterman's books! He's definitely my favorite author. I got into his stuff around 2009? I think @Spiritual_Chaos might get a kick out of reading him? Fargo Rock City hooked me from the cover/title. Killing Yourself To Live and Sex, Drugs & Coco Puffs are also favorites, but I've got close to everything that he's put out. Really fun reading that always puts me in a good mood. Dude's totally full of shit sometimes, but aren't we all? :)

Image result for chuck klosterman killing yourself to live

Story outline[edit]

Klosterman's analysis focuses less on the actual circumstances leading to the deaths of rock musicians, but more on the existential and cultural implications that result. To these ends, Klosterman goes on a road trip, visiting the death sites of rock stars such as Duane Allman and Kurt Cobain.[2] In a rented Ford Taurus, which he nicknamed "Tauntaun", Klosterman encounters a variety of interesting circumstances and people along the way, such as a teenager in Missoula, Montana, who asks him to sell her some cannabis, or a Cracker Barrel waitress who reads Kafka.

A large part of the narrative describes four (although primarily three) women from Klosterman's past and present who embody abstractions that he loves (and are later compared to the four original members of the band KISS). According to Klosterman, in the same way that a rock star's death grants transcendence beyond anything they may have embodied during the course of their career, so, too, these four women transcend their own effect on Klosterman to become the molds by which all other women will undoubtedly be understood.

The book contains much literary analysis of songs and the retelling of conversations from the author's past. Klosterman also includes a controversial passage about Radiohead's Kid A, proclaiming that track-by-track the 2000 album unintentionally details the events of the September 11 attacks, which would occur 11 months after its release.[3]

It is kinda crazy how he breaks all the Kid A album down. Interesting stuff for sure. 

Image result for chuck klosterman fargo rock city   

Image result for chuck klosterman sex drugs and cocoa puffs
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014