Going to the music store after work. Somebody recommend me a totally random album

Mike RenzellaMike Renzella Posts: 55
edited October 2007 in Other Music
I have been in a rut lately, after listening to Into the Wild several times, and being disapointed by the new Foos, I am need of some good rock. I am open to anything. Some of my newer faves that I learned about from this board (other than PJ, obviously) include Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, etc etc etc. Who can give me the name of an album that is in the same leagues, that I possibly have never heard of before? I've got two hours till I finish my shift, and I NEED NEW ROCK!!!! Someone help out :)
"A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have been in a rut lately, after listening to Into the Wild several times, and being disapointed by the new Foos, I am need of some good rock. I am open to anything. Some of my newer faves that I learned about from this board (other than PJ, obviously) include Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, etc etc etc. Who can give me the name of an album that is in the same leagues, that I possibly have never heard of before? I've got two hours till I finish my shift, and I NEED NEW ROCK!!!! Someone help out :)

Have you checked out the black keys? blues rock at its finest. Both Rubber Factory and Magic potion are great albums.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • No I haven't, but I will in about an hour when I leave work. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

• robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    The Hold Steady
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Drive-by Truckers - Decoration Day
    The God Machine - One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying
    The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
    Kyuss - Sky Valley
    Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
    A Perfect Circle - Thireenth Step
  • Have you checked out the black keys? blues rock at its finest. Both Rubber Factory and Magic potion are great albums.
    Yeah, what he said.

Or buy Band Of Horses new gem.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Maybe you'd like Passover by The Black Angels? I'm trying to think of the last really rocking CD I bought, and I think that's it.
  • #X.#X. Posts: 142
    I've gotten into the Kings of Leon. There is a new Seattle band, Schoolyard Heroes that's getting some play.
    "The Poet is a madman lost in adventure."
    -Paul Verlaine-

"With me poetry has not been a purpose, but a passion."
    -Edgar Poe-
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Amputechture-Mars Volta
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    Wilco
    Ryan Adams
    Jeremy Enigk
    Sunny Day Real Estate
    The Fire Theft
    The National
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    black crowes-shake your money maker
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    seanw1010 wrote:
    black crowes-shake your money maker

If he's gonna buy this, he should just come home and order Sho' Nuff. Has SYMM through 3 Snakes....... Kinduva bitch to find, though. FYE was havin a sale one day and I got it for $15-20(5 disc) Check amazon used
  • morockamorocka Posts: 26
    Gomez - In Our Gun;
    Gomez - How We Operate
    Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am,Thats What I'm Not
    Cursive - Happy Hollow
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"
  • the kinks muswell hillbillies
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Metric- Live it Out and/or Old World Underground Where Are You Now?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    This is a little late as you've probably already gone to the record store, but you simply can't go wrong with any of the following albums:

Wintersleep- Welcome to the Night Sky (this album will blow your freakin' mind)
    The Weakerthans- Reunion Tour
    Dinosaur Jr.- Beyond
    The Hold Steady- Boys & Girls in America
    The Tragically Hip- World Container
    Buffalo Tom- Three Easy Pieces
    Springsteen & the E Street Band- Magic
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Dredg - El Cielo
    Mogwai - Young Team
    The Postal Service - Give Up
  • Wow!!! Just checking back since I posted this yesterday, and I'm gonna have to bookmark this post as there are many suggestions to check out. I have some of the albums suggested, I have a shitload of Black Crowes, I've been looking for Decoration Day and Southern Rock Opera for a long time, but can't find them anywhere, Blessing and a Curse I do have though, anyways, this list will keep me busy for a long time!!!

And to the guy who recommended Black Keys.....YES man, YES. I got Magic Potion and DAMN that is some good rock, for a two-person band, they run circles around the White Stripes.

Great album, great recommendation. Thanks much!!

• Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • jason isbell - sirens of the ditch
    the black keys - chulahoma
    drive by truckers - the dirty south
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Wow!!!

And to the guy who recommended Black Keys.....YES man, YES. I got Magic Potion and DAMN that is some good rock, for a two-person band, they run circles around the White Stripes.

Just listened to some samples of 'Magic Potion' and i think i may download this on emusic. Thanks for pointing this out guys.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • califone - roots and crowns... they are not fucking around
    drowning, drinking the light
    god's eyes are closed, just like yours
  • The Negro Problem--Joy and Concern
    This cd is constantly in my car...beautiful songwriting...
    "Everytime I hear that melody, something breaks inside" -- T.W.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Wintersleep- Welcome to the Night Sky (this album will blow your freakin' mind)
    The Weakerthans- Reunion Tour
    The Tragically Hip- World Container

Yes, yes and fuck yes!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • DeniDeni Posts: 233
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • Wow!!! Just checking back since I posted this yesterday, and I'm gonna have to bookmark this post as there are many suggestions to check out. I have some of the albums suggested, I have a shitload of Black Crowes, I've been looking for Decoration Day and Southern Rock Opera for a long time, but can't find them anywhere, Blessing and a Curse I do have though, anyways, this list will keep me busy for a long time!!!

Hell yea man, they're a great band. The first time i heard the thick riff of Your Touch on Letterman one night I had to check those guys out and I was blown away. Straight up blues/garage at its finest, glad I could help you out man, its always great checking out new bands.

oh, and hell yes they do make alotta noise for two guys, that was my first thought.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10

double post
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Cherry Ghost - Thirst For Romance
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    big sir female singer
    sleeping at last male singer
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Besnard Lake - The Besnard Lakes are the Dark Horses
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Mute Math's cd is pretty good, I've been listening to it alot.

Black Keys are freakin awesome...from my hometown as well.