Albums you just rediscovered after years of neglect

Mike RenzellaMike Renzella Posts: 55
edited September 2006 in Other Music
This is a thread dedicated to that album you found on your shelf, covered in dust, and upon listening, remembered how great it was.

My submission will be Spacehog: You'd Prefer an Alien. This is a band I have not heard about in years, and was never really that into to begin with, but this is one of those one-off albums I bought years ago, mainly for the single In The Meantime (this was in the days before you could download songs, so if you wanted a particular song, you pretty much had to buy the album to get it), but it was a pretty rockin' little album, and one that I've been enjoying again recently, thanks to a discovery of a box of CDs in my crawlspace that I'd long since forgotten I'd put there. Some great songs, including 'In The Meantime', 'Starside' and 'Space is the Place'.

Has anyone else recently made a similar discovery? Share away, so we can all feel a little nostalgia for musical days past!!!
"A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Good thread

Live: Throwing Copper

hmmm
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Nirvana: In Utero
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Revelino - Broadcaster
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Lemonheads - Its A Shame About Ray

.....all the excitement about their return got me to dig this one out again - Rudderless is such an amazing little pop ditty, one of my all time favs
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • anything by Supergrass. How did I miss this insanely cathcy band?
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    weezer (blue album)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Soul Coughing-Ruby Vroom

With Mike D's solo stuff playing on the radio, made me pull out this gem. Love this band. They opened up for Dave Matthews back in the day and they totally blew me away. So much, that Dave was a let down, a total disappointment compared to the freshness that Soul Coughing but into their show. Then preceeded to see them numerous times when they were the headliner and just an amazing band.

Live-Throwing Copper is just a great album start to finish...I will be pulling that one next! Thanks!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    momofglynn wrote:
    Live-Throwing Copper is just a great album start to finish...I will be pulling that one next! Thanks!

Agreed ! this album is in my top 10
  • I'll go with...Sponge, Rotting Pinata. Aside from the singles Plowed and Molly, its a good little album. The title track Rotting Pinata and Drownin' are a couple of standouts.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Afghan Whigs - Black Love

It has a good mix of soul and rock n roll that is on it's way back again. Plus I just ordered the Twilight Singers "Powder Burns" and needed a reminder of Dulli's work.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • there's been a few recently i've been getting back into cause they were on on tapes (yikes!) that i've now updated

teenage fanclub - grand prix
    alice in chains - dirt
    underwrold - 2nd toughets in the infants
    swervedriver - raise
  • Smashing Pumpkins--Siamese Dream.

One of the first albums I ever bought and I continue to rediscover it.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • The Presidents of the United States of Amercica's debut disc
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    The Refreshments album with the one radio hit on it. You can tell I am into it when I don't know the songs name. But the gist of this thread is rediscovering and that album was pretty damn good.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Ah, that's why I put up this thread, already tons of good discs in here that I haven't listened to in years, tonight I'm pulling out Alice in Chains-Dirt, and Live-Throwing Copper....two excellent discs I have not heard in a long time.

A couple more: Toadies-Rubberneck, Better Than Ezra- Deluxe, Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun (for the sweet guitar solo in 'Sick of Myself')
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
    Ah, that's why I put up this thread, already tons of good discs in here that I haven't listened to in years, tonight I'm pulling out Alice in Chains-Dirt, and Live-Throwing Copper....two excellent discs I have not heard in a long time.

Indeed... a few good ideas... Presidents of the USA: I had almost forgotten them.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Load - Metallica

Floodland - Sisters of Mercy

Laufer - The Best Of
    En mi vida,
    el oscuro me mantiene
    cuando yo te vi
    en la lluvia me prometiste tu sangre

Estrella de la mañana
    Samael te persigo a ti
    y si me quedo sin alas
    ademas me muero por ti
  • Ah, that's why I put up this thread, already tons of good discs in here that I haven't listened to in years, tonight I'm pulling out Alice in Chains-Dirt, and Live-Throwing Copper....two excellent discs I have not heard in a long time.

A couple more: Toadies-Rubberneck, Better Than Ezra- Deluxe, Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun (for the sweet guitar solo in 'Sick of Myself')

LOVE THEM ALL THANKS! Better than Ezra is next! Toadies are amazing and I have listened to them lately.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Weezer...Pinkerton
    Tragically Hip...Road Apples
    STP....Core
    Master of Zen
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Machina
    An album i've always neglected because it's probably their worst studio album, but every now and again i dig it out and give it a listen. Each time I discover something new about it that I like and it grows on me a little more.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    dirty flow wrote:
    alice in chains - dirt
    Can't imagine ever neglecting this one. Love it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Black Crowes- The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion

Lately I've been rediscovering this band, and I hadn't listened to this album in years. I was listening to it in my car on the way to work yesterday and it blew me away all over again. I think it's easily one of the best rock albums of the last 15 years. Not sure why I ever stopped listening to it.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Sugar - Copper Blue

One of my most favorite albums from years back -- they are great to listen to during the Fall months (before hunting season)...driving up north in Michigan for some trail riding on the mountain bike.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • dirt wrote:
    Sugar - Copper Blue

One of my most favorite albums from years back -- they are great to listen to during the Fall months (before hunting season)...driving up north in Michigan for some trail riding on the mountain bike.

Good call, haven't listened to that album in ages.

For me it's been Celebrity Skin by Hole. Pure pop genius! Can't get enough of it right now.
  • direwolf74 wrote:

Lately I've been rediscovering this band, and I hadn't listened to this album in years. I was listening to it in my car on the way to work yesterday and it blew me away all over again. I think it's easily one of the best rock albums of the last 15 years. Not sure why I ever stopped listening to it.

Yeah that was a good album...I like "Shake your money maker" alot as well
    Master of Zen
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    direwolf74 wrote:

Amen to that! Such a great band that I've always overlooked until they recently got back together. After seeing them 3 times since their "rebirth", I'm hooked!
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    The Cardigans - Gran Turismo

One hit wonder they are not. Gran Turismo is an album that I didn't really like when I puchased it seven years ago; but recently I listened to it and was blown away. I also recently picked up their latest, "Super Extra Gravity", which is another fine album. Totally underrated band.
  • New Radicals, Soul Coughing and Reel Big Fish also been playing the Basketball Diaries soundtrack again after several years of not listening to it.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me