Anyone seen Tenacious D on their current tour?

Mike RenzellaMike Renzella Posts: 55
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Has anyone caught Tenacious D on their latest tour? I went to the show at Ricoh Coliseum a couple days ago. I am trying to figure out if its' just that I've grown out of the type of shtick they're selling, or if its just become a tired re-hash, but the show didn't really do much for me.

I saw 'em live at Kool Haus (smaller venue) a few years back and it was such an awesome show. Just JB and KG, acoustic guitars and a boatload of profanity. This time, there were elaborate sets (the Hell stage was pretty damn sweet though), and a backing band. The guitarist was pretty good, the energy was there, but it just wasn't how I remembered the D.

Much more forced, I didn't feel the love between the two, KG just walked off at the end with no acknowledgement of the crowd. I think what's happened is that after Jack Black's career took off, this recent resurgence of the D was just a studio cash-in on his fame.
"A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    wow
    thats too bad

they are on this weekends SNL , also.

( they are also the only reason i would tune in, also )
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    I saw them last night in Boston and really enjoyed it. Like you, I saw them back in 2001 in front of a small crowd in Vermont, and it was before Jack Black became a movie star.

I was concerned that it was not going to be as enjoyable last night but I really had a good time. However, the portion of the show where they plugged in was not nearly as good as when it is just the two of them playing their acoustic guitars.

Overall, certainly not as strong as 2001, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it was. Also, the crowd last night was great, and very into it (which was also surprising).
  • Well I thought the movie was rubbish. Just one joke repeated over and over; that joke worked for a while, but not a whole film of it. My guess is that you just felt their shtick is old.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison