"Mudhoney Defined Grunge" by Krist Novoselic

mark armmark arm Posts: 962
edited July 2008 in Other Music
from his blog @ Seattly Weekly
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2008/07/mudhoney_defined_grunge.php

Mudhoney Defined Grunge
Posted today at 9:27 am by Krist Novoselic

This video of Mudhoney, circa 1990, was shot by Krist Novoselic on a Fisher-Price PXL-2000, and is being seen here for the first time.

Congratulations to Sub Pop records for their 20 year anniversary.

Of all the Sub Pop bands I must say that Mudhoney are my favorite. In the beginning days of the label, it was Mudhoney who led the charge. Mark Arm, Steve Turner, Danny Peters and Matt Lukin were a group that defined the term Grunge.

Touch Me I’m Sick was the tune that blew the walls out for the band, the music scene and the world. Like Seattle’s Space Needle or the St. Helens volcano Grunge was on the map.

Mudhoney picked up where NW bands like The Sonics and Kingsmen left off. They conjured the Stooges wrapped in the sensibilities of American Hardcore of the early 1980s.

I first met Mark Arm at the Metropolis punk club in Seattle’s Pioneer Square around 1983. Buzz Osborne and Matt Lukin from Montesano’s Melvins took me to my first punk show. The first stage dive I ever witnessed was performed by Mark Arm!!! He was studying english at the UW and was in the band Mr. Epp and the Calculations. They had this weird song called Mohawk Man. Matt, Buzz and I would go to partys and shows in Seattle and we’d almost always see Mark. The man had a biting wit that he took with him to front the twisted Glam ensemble Green River. At a Green River show in Tacoma, Mark came out in a dress with his long black hair done in high-set pony tails, looking like some kind of nightmare chick.

Eventually Buzz and Dale moved to San Francisco. I left Aberdeen for a job painting factorys in Tacoma. Matt stayed in Aberdeen and was asked to join a new band. Mark and Steve from Green River got together with Dan Peters who drummed with Bundle of Hiss.

The new Mudhoney started playing shows and were a sensation right from the start. The shows were beer-soaked, sweaty, and driving. It was the sound of vintage guitars and Peters' solid kick drum and signature snappy snare sound. In fact, the old Hagstrom guitars and Electro-Harmonix effect pedals were part of the lore. Marks wry wit tied together songs with great hooks.

Everett True from the Melody Maker came from London to check out the rumblings in Seattle. That’s when the term Grunge entered the lexicon meaning more than something you find on a shower curtain. Mudhoney toured Europe and broke ground for Nirvana and other Seattle bands to follow.

Like most bands, Mudhoney went on to the major labels. Their music evolved but they always kept that sound. The group also collaborated with artist Ed Fotheringham for great album covers.

Eventually, Matt left Mudhoney to be replaced by Guy Maddison. Flipper played with Mudhoney and the Melvins in Los Angeles last September. I hadn’t seen the band in a long time and it was good to see another great Mudhoney show. Congratulations on 20 years of never falling out of grace.
11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
10/19/08 - Buenos Aires