The Strokes

Light_yearsLight_years Posts: 58
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I just got back from my first strokes concert, and i have to say all in all i was pretty impressed, aside from terrible acoustics at the venue it was an excellent time.

Has anyone else seen them and what did u think?
"Pussies no more"
"Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i dont wanna bring you down off your high, though i do have criticism of their live show -- but glad you had a good time :)
  • Anyone dissapointed with First Impressions?? Compared to 1st 2 albums? I only like track 1 which sucks
    Not heard anything bad about them live
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I saw them live a couple of years ago and thought they were terrible. But that's just me.

Glad you had a good time though!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Anyone dissapointed with First Impressions?? Compared to 1st 2 albums? I only like track 1 which sucks

wierd, i feel the opposite. i liked the first two but wasnt exactly blown away. the latest one is incredible to my ears though!

ive heard they're much better live these days than they used to be.
  • the lead singer kinda reminds me of eddie in the way he says random pointless things that often make no sense
    "Pussies no more"
    "Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I saw them at Oxegen this year and was very impressed and very wet
  • I really don't know any of their music, but will get to see them with Tom Petty this Friday!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Anyone dissapointed with First Impressions?? Compared to 1st 2 albums? I only like track 1 which sucks

i agree. i saw them after their first cd came out. imo, it doesn't get any better than that one.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Anyone dissapointed with First Impressions?? Compared to 1st 2 albums? I only like track 1 which sucks

first impressions is not that good. the first half of the album is solid. keeps my interest. it's way too long though. much longer than the first two which were pretty solid all the way through. especially Is This It. Is This It is terrific.
  • The strokes are a VERY good band
  • I saw them on the first tour. I think it takes balls for guys from New York to come out on the stage with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" blasting on the PA. That is how I will always remember that show.

I bought the 1st cd....really liked it.
    I thought the 2nd cd sounded bad.
    I probably won't get the 3rd cd....doesn't interest me much anymore.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I dig the Strokes and like all three of their albums.

Anyone know where you can download/buy the single with Eddie?
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    LOOOOOVE The Strokes! :D
    Their live shows are a guaranteed super rockin fun time imo...especially these days! They are completely and totally ON IT.

Tom Petty AND The fuckin Strokes! Damn! *feels insanely jealous of all attending* :p

BTW gabers, check your PMs in a few. ;)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • saw them this year in asheville. GREAT live show. i'd heard bad stuff, but word on the streets is that Julian used to just get too wasted before their shows, and now keeps it in check. everything sounded spot on.

new wlbum is killer. totally different than the first two. much more diverse. glad to see them grow as a band. reminds me a lot of pearl jam. ten and vs. are great albums, but everything else after i love the most!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • I saw them live recently too, they were amazing!!! one of the greates shows I've ever seen!! I had such a great time, is one of my favorites badns, right now is my 2nd favorite band after pearl jam of course!! :D

awesome band, the new record is awesome and they're pretty great live!! highly recommended
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    oh, mercy mercy meeeeeeeeeee...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • brhf9 wrote:
    oh, mercy mercy meeeeeeeeeee...

yeah!! I was expecting that song haha :D but they played a cover of velvet underground ;)

• bryanfury wrote:
    saw them this year in asheville. GREAT live show. i'd heard bad stuff, but word on the streets is that Julian used to just get too wasted before their shows, and now keeps it in check. everything sounded spot on.

new wlbum is killer. totally different than the first two. much more diverse. glad to see them grow as a band. reminds me a lot of pearl jam. ten and vs. are great albums, but everything else after i love the most!

I was there, too! It was my first Strokes show and I was blown away! I went out and bought First Impressions the next day. I was very happily surprised at the maturity they played with. And I think First Impressions is their best album so far....especially Ize of the World.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    yeah!! I was expecting that song haha :D but they played a cover of velvet underground ;)

which one?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • take a walk on the wild side. amazing show tonight. those guys are true rockstars.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Saw them this spring with the Eagles of Death Metal and it was great.

EODM were just as good as they were though. They were tight the night I saw them.
    NERDS!
  • the strokes went in Turin this summer. They sung for a little bit (only one hour) and run away whitout say goodbye sigh
    ;) The PJ concert in Turin was the best one!!! ^_^
    (Sorry for my english)
  • I was there, too! It was my first Strokes show and I was blown away! I went out and bought First Impressions the next day. I was very happily surprised at the maturity they played with. And I think First Impressions is their best album so far....especially Ize of the World.

yeah, they opened with that tune in Asheville, and it was awesome! i was also about 10 years older than anyone else there, but rocked out the whole time while soem of the kiddies seemed to be there for a social event. the kids on the floor were great though!!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • brhf9 wrote:
    which one?

sorry!! yeah it was "take a walk on the wild side" it sounded pretty good, great show!!

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,103
    Anyone able to hook me up with live audio from any good shows? My daughter’s teacher is a huge fan and I was hoping to find some shows for an end of year gift.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,139
    I just got back from my first strokes concert, and i have to say all in all i was pretty impressed, aside from terrible acoustics at the venue it was an excellent time.

Has anyone else seen them and what did u think?

Saw them at the TLA in Philly back in 2001 when they were blowing up. One of the best shows I've attended period. Saw them again at ACL in 2011 and were even better!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Anyone able to hook me up with live audio from any good shows? My daughter’s teacher is a huge fan and I was hoping to find some shows for an end of year gift.
    I have a show from 2001 and one from 2002 I can share.  Pm me your email address
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
    Thanks a bunch! PM sent!
    Appreciate the people in this community! People, like joberschlake, always willing to help out! Thanks!