Options

Ryan Adams and Cardinals "Cold Roses"

nextmovesidewaysnextmovesideways Posts: 22
edited January 2006 in Other Music
I just bought this album the day before New Year's Eve, and I think I've listened to it twelve times since. The first few times I heard the album, I was thinking "this isn't all that great". Then the album started to grow on me, about listen #4. And I started enjoying the album more and more. Listen #12, it hit me.

This is the album that should have followed up Whiskeytown's "Stranger's Almanac"!!!!!!!

I think for the second time in his career, Ryan Adams has made a (near) perfect album.

Anyone else on the same thought plain as myself on this one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Cold Roses is great, but Stranger's Almanac a perfect record? Sounds more like a watered down, commercial Faithless Street to me. I mean, it's good, but it ain't near perfect in my opinion. Faithless Street is Whiskeytown gold.
    If you haven't yet, check out the other two he released this year:
    Jacksonville City Nights (also with the Cardinals)

Both are amazing records, I think I like them both better than Cold Roses. It's close though.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Cold Roses is great, but Stranger's Almanac a perfect record? Sounds more like a watered down, commercial Faithless Street to me. I mean, it's good, but it ain't near perfect in my opinion. Faithless Street is Whiskeytown gold.
    If you haven't yet, check out the other two he released this year:
    Jacksonville City Nights (also with the Cardinals)

Both are amazing records, I think I like them both better than Cold Roses. It's close though.

Stranger's Almanac NOT a perfect record? My goddamn. That record is flawless. It has "Losering" for god's sake. It may be my favorite Ryan project. (aside from Love is Hell)

Cold Roses is indeed amazing.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Ive had that album for a while...I think it's a good album I prefer disc 2 though...I got Jackson City Nights recently it's a bit more on the country side i need to listen to it more I think.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Stranger's Almanac NOT a perfect record? My goddamn. That record is flawless. It has "Losering" for god's sake. It may be my favorite Ryan project. (aside from Love is Hell)

Cold Roses is indeed amazing.

Eh. Some of Stranger's Almanac's best songs were done better during the Faithless Street sessions. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But to me it pales in comparison to most of his other work.
    I agree with you on Love is Hell though. I also think 29 is one of his best.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    I prefer Ryan without the Cardinals (and from his live outbursts directed at various members he might too).

he's best on own

combine the best songs from both discs onto one cd and you get a good album.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I just got 29 it's a really good. As much as i like cold roses i think i prefer him on his own too.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    cccrankcccrank Posts: 18
    Basically, Ryan Adams is amazing. Out of 29, 48 hours, bedhead 4, california ep, CMT crossroads with elton john, cold roses, decoration day, demolition, destroyer sessions, gold, halloween ep, heartbreaker, heartbreaker demos, jacksonville city nights, this live recording from louisville, love is hell, moroccan role ep, now that you're gone ep, pinkhearts session, rock n roll, rock n roll/love is hell b-sides, songs for wynonna, sweden, winona and me, swedish sessions, the freightwhaler sessions, the rescue blues ep, and the suicide handbook, I have trouble deciding which one is my favorite. I really do love Cold Roses though, it is amazing.
    “He's mythological to me, like Zeus or Thor. I don't want to dispel all the myths and mysteries that surround some of his stuff, which I think is just absolutely phenomenal, inspiring and righteous.”

-Ryan Adams on Bob Dylan