Options

Halleluiah - Jeff Buckley

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Somebody played this at my school Christmas concert and i'm listening to the original right now and this is such a beautiful song :)

Just thought i'd share, even though most of you know it :)
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    get the album dude, its amazing
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    sj_2150 wrote:
    get the album dude, its amazing

Grace??...is that what it's called?

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Buckley's version is far and away the best (in my opinion), but if you have the chance, seek out the original and subsequent covers (Rufus Wainwright, John Cale, etc..).

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Buckley's version is far and away the best (in my opinion), but if you have the chance, seek out the original and subsequent covers (Rufus Wainwright, John Cale, etc..).

PBM

I didn't know that it wasn't his??

Who sang the original PBM??

.NJD.
  • Options
    Leonard Cohen.

It's a shock to the system after you hear Buckley's version. I didn't know it was a cover either until I did some searching.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    Leonard Cohen wrote it didn't he? There's a ton of versions, I even have a bootleg of Dylan playing it.
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Just buy Grace, it'll be the best $13 you ever spend. Songs like Eternal Life, Mojo Pin, Last Goodbye, Hallelujah, Lover You Should've Come Over, Grace... simply an amazing album from start to finish. Buy it now.
  • Options
    moster78 wrote:
    Just buy Grace, it'll be the best $13 you ever spend. Songs like Eternal Life, Mojo Pin, Last Goodbye, Hallelujah, Lover You Should've Come Over, Grace... simply an amazing album from start to finish. Buy it now.

Will do monster78 :)

Thanks alot guys!!

.NJD.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Halleluiah - Jeff Buckley...absolutely, jaw dropping GORGEOUS! :o I looove Jeff and I agree with what has already been said here...no one should be without GRACE.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I agree Jeff's version is the greatest of them all, but you just have to give credit to Leonard for writing such a shocking tune, it brings chills to your spine whoever sings it (even if it's that awful version Bono did)... though I think actually the version Jeff sings is the one with the beautiful and strong verses added by maestro Jon Cale on the I'm Your Fan tribute cd (highly recommended by the way)
    That being said, do as you've been told and try to grab Grace asap... though I recommend take Grace and any other cd of his, since Grace is gonna leave you wanting for more.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Grace is one of my favorite records in the world, its worth shelling out for the Deluxe edition that came out awhile back, there is some cool shit on there.

Such a shame he never got to complete another record.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    Grace is one of my favorite records in the world, its worth shelling out for the Deluxe edition that came out awhile back, there is some cool shit on there.

Such a shame he never got to complete another record.

grace is one of the best albums EVER, this is true..but wasn't disc 1 of sketches pretty much finished by jeff before he died? i know the second disc is completely unfinished...a shame, nonetheless.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • Options
    grace6697 wrote:
    grace is one of the best albums EVER, this is true..but wasn't disc 1 of sketches pretty much finished by jeff before he died? i know the second disc is completely unfinished...a shame, nonetheless.

You know I don't really know for certain, it always sounded so rough to me (at least compared to Grace), but maybe it was supposed to sound like that... Still damn good though.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    I was first turned on to JB by several people on this board. I went out and bought the Grace album and wasn't impressed at first.....but that was because I was very heavily into metal at the time, and it took some practice listening to something that didn't have the double bass drum going. Anyway....

The song that stuck out the very first time I listened to Grace was Hallelujah. By far still one of my favorite songs ever, and defintely one of my fave Jeff songs. It is just so very hauntingly beautiful - the voice, the lyrics, everything. Even my soon-to-be-ex-wife (who doesn't really care for JB) is amazed by this song.

By now, the entire album is one of my faves, and gets several listens during the week. I would agree with anybody that says that the $13 for the CD is well worth it - and the $27 for the Legacy Edition is also well worth it - it's up to you. After listening to Grace about a handful of times I went from being kinda skeptical about JB to buying up everything that I could that was available at the time (the only thing I don't have now is the Grace EP box set). He is an amazing artist, and several of his songs have touched my heart, mind, and soul in ways that I never thought possible.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    almost cried today on this song...:(
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    almost cried today on this song...:(

Agreed.

Bittersweet.

Sad, he's no longer with us.

PBM

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I saw Jeff Buckley live once.

What a loss.
  • Options
    I'm on my way to pick it up right now!!

Thanks alot everyone!!

.NJD.
  • Options
    You know I don't really know for certain, it always sounded so rough to me (at least compared to Grace), but maybe it was supposed to sound like that... Still damn good though.

sketches disc 1 *does* sound much rougher on the whole..but then there are super slicked up tracks as well...everybody wants you for one is very produced. truth is, that i LOVE most of the second disc.

over the years i think i've listened to 'we could be so happy baby' a zillion times. literally.
  • Options
    grace6697 wrote:
    over the years i think i've listened to 'we could be so happy baby' a zillion times. literally.

I kind of "found" that song a little while back, I had never really payed attention to it, but it just finally sort of hit me and I realized how great it was.
  • Options
    kd lang's version of hallelujah on hymns from the 49th parallell is also very moving.
  • Options
    I kind of "found" that song a little while back, I had never really payed attention to it, but it just finally sort of hit me and I realized how great it was.

its surreal and haunting. i can't imagine feeling that way about anyone.
  • Options
    kd lang's version of hallelujah on hymns from the 49th parallell is also very moving.

i agree.......
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    I just had to post to express how much I LOVE Jeff Buckley

truly, one of musics biggest devistations
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    Jeff's version is by far the best. He blows the others out of the water. Its sad to think of Jeff buckley and water at the same time though.
  • Options
    i agree.......

she did a version of it on the junos (the canadian version of the grammy's) along with a version of neil young's helpless, while neil was in new york recovering from his surgery. i heard the audience was in tears. an incredible performance. likely not broadcast in aus, though...

not taking anything away from buckley's version, i just prefer kd lang's version...