Options

The Wallflowers??

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited June 2006 in Other Music
One Headlight is a wicked song but I've never heard anything else......

How's the other stuff??
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I heard most of the singles from Bringing Down the Horse and I like them.

Plus, I may be the only one that likes their cover of Heroes.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I have Bringing down the Horse...great album.

You will also most likely recognize "6th Ave Heartache", "The Difference:" and "3 Marlenas"

I like their "Heroes" also
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    doogdoog Posts: 59
    I don't have alot of WF knowledge, but i do like all the songs mentioned by PBM and PB. Isn't their version of HEROES on the Godzilla soundtrack?? I love that song and i think i have that cd around somewhere. I'll have to find it.
  • Options
    doog wrote:
    Isn't their version of HEROES on the Godzilla soundtrack?? I love that song and i think i have that cd around somewhere. I'll have to find it.

Yeah, it came out in the summer of '98.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    doogdoog Posts: 59
    Yeah, it came out in the summer of '98.

PBM

That's the one i was thinking of. (Matthew Broderick?). I just found the cd. I'm not even sure if i've ever listened to this cd from start to finish, but there are songs from Wallflowers, Rage ATM, Days of the New, Foo Fighters, Fuel, Green Day, and Silverchair. I may have to give this cd another try. It's just been sitting in my cd rack for years-probably since 98!
  • Options
    doog wrote:
    It's just been sitting in my cd rack for years-probably since 98!

Probably because of the Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page collaboration. Sadly, Come with Me is in my iPod.

PBM

• Options
    Ian MacKaye of Fugazi enlightened me to this...

that record sold more than any Bob Dylan record ever.

The times, they are a changin'
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    I'm a huge Wallflowers fan.

I have always thought that "Breach" was their best album. It came out in 2000. Phenominal album.

Their newest album from last year is also very very good "Rebel, Sweetheart"

Their best "studio" sounding album is "Red Letter Days." You can really tell they were trying to make a good solid rock album. Which they succeeded at.

If I were to rank their albums it would have to go like this

1. Breach
    2. Rebel, Sweetheart
    3. Red Letter Days
    4. Bringing Down The Horse
    5. The Wallflowers
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Options
    great honest rock sound. best song (for me) is "god don't make lonely girls" but it may be because of my mexican heritage.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    jerve5150jerve5150 Posts: 30
    doog wrote:
    I don't have alot of WF knowledge, but i do like all the songs mentioned by PBM and PB. Isn't their version of HEROES on the Godzilla soundtrack?? I love that song and i think i have that cd around somewhere. I'll have to find it.

Sidenote on the Godzilla Soundtrack. Stone Temple Pilots turned down big $$$ to put a new song on that soundtrack. The band members weren't in very good shape early 98. Well, I guess only one of them wasn't.
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I like them a lot i always thought they were a good band but they kind of fizzled out after Bringing Down the Horse. They are a good live band too.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    I like them a lot i always thought they were a good band but they kind of fizzled out after Bringing Down the Horse. They are a good live band too.

They just waited way too long to put out their next album.
  • Options
    Their 2nd album (I think it was the 2nd) was Breach

That was an AMAZING album....

Their most recent album is soso IMO...but I love them. I saw them in the city once and they were great.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bringing Down the Horse was the first album I ever owned. I remember getting the audiotape on my 8th birthday in '96. I was a pretty awesome kid, I must say. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I heard most of the singles from Bringing Down the Horse and I like them.

Plus, I may be the only one that likes their cover of Heroes.

PBM
    I agree. Bring down the horse is a great album, and the Wallflowers are a really great live band. I saw them co- headline with the Counting Crows and was impressed. I feel bad for Jakob though cause the concert review in the paper criticized him saying that he needed to write songs on his father's level or something like that. I mean, come on, Bob Dylan is the shit, but they are two different people playing totally different styles of music.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Their 2nd album (I think it was the 2nd) was Breach

That was an AMAZING album....

Their most recent album is soso IMO...but I love them. I saw them in the city once and they were great.

"Breach" is actually their third album
    They released a self-titled album in 1992.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys!!

I think I'll pick up Breach and let ya know what I think :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    So I bought "Breach" today and it's pretty good.

I've only got throught the first lik4 songs but I like it :)

I forgot that Ben Harper's current guitar player Michael Ward played with The Wallflowers and he's on this album .....I love Ben Harper, I just didn't even clue in :)

.NJD.