Mastodon is totally kicking my ass right about now

OdinOdin Posts: 599
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I've heard of them, but never gave them a listen until recently. All I can say is........My God, does this band rock! I wish I had gotten into them earlier. Anyone else like Mastodon or are they too metal for this forum?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OdinOdin Posts: 599
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-e5jANOe_0

Now THAT is what rock is supposed to sound like!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i saw them open for Clutch on the Remission tour and bought their album at the show. enjoyed it. Leviathan is probably my favorite record by them. Blood Mountain is good but... i don't know. i prefer Leviathan.

might be a tad too metal for this forum but who cares.
    It's nice to see another fan on this forum.....didn't think anyone would respond. Mastodon is boss. Undoubtedly a breath of fresh air in the post-Pantera metal world. Brann’s drumming skills are godly, the technical skill of the guitarists is incredible, their time signature changes reminds me of Dream Theater’s, they incorporate 'groove' into their sound (which is appealing to me), and they don’t overdo the screaming like a lot of metal bands these days. They’re just an incredible band……complex but still rock hard…..so hard that, after hearing Capillarian Crest for the first time, I felt like my head was going to snap off! Sleeping Giant is another masterpiece in my opinion. I ordered both Leviathan and Blood Mountain today and can’t wait for the CDs to arrive!

I’m glad that someone recommended them to me at a concert last night. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have bothered to check them out. I would have killed to have seen them with Clutch, another one of my favourites.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    greatest band i've discovered this year.
    Leviathan inspired me to read moby dick.
    blood mountain and leviathan are 2 gems
    absolutely stunning band
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    If you're going to check them out live try and catch them at a solo gig, their sound is so dense that they suffer live when it's not their gig I think because the priority is the sound of the headliner. Saw them support TOOL last year and they sounded awful, caught them in a club in belfast and they were crystal (Skull) <
    See what I did there?! Ok, I'll not try to be funny any more :D
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love mastodon. :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Hey, does anyone post on Mastodon's forum? I just joined and am unable to log in despite entering in the correct username/password. And no, I didn't forget to activate my account. Did this happen to anyone else after they signed up?
    glasshouse wrote:
    Leviathan inspired me to read moby dick.

...which is a lot better than having a 50-question exam inspire you to read Moby Dick. :D Great -- albeit long -- book... probably my favourite from high school.
    Binaural wrote:
    If you're going to check them out live try and catch them at a solo gig, their sound is so dense that they suffer live when it's not their gig I think because the priority is the sound of the headliner. Saw them support TOOL last year and they sounded awful, caught them in a club in belfast and they were crystal (Skull) <
    See what I did there?! Ok, I'll not try to be funny any more :D

Reminds me of Big Business, who were way better in a smaller venue than in a half-empty arena.
    Odin wrote:
    Hey, does anyone post on Mastodon's forum? I just joined and am unable to log in despite entering in the correct username/password. And no, I didn't forget to activate my account. Did this happen to anyone else after they signed up?

i do post there on occasion. it is pretty slow though. i did not experience that problem when i signed up but it was quite some time ago.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Odin wrote:

Raises hand

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    Still don't have access to their forum and still haven't been added as a friend on Myspace. WTF?!?!?!? Pearl Jam (a much bigger band) added me right away.
    forget about that message board ~ post with the family and spin some mastodon

I still think it kinda sucks. When I get home from work, I will try to create a new account and see if that works. I wonder if it's my reputation on other bands' forums.....two being from the same city from where Mastodon hails.....both I have been permanently banned from.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    here, here
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    I got into them after I heard Jeff Ament say he liked them in an interview. They're really good.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    pjfan85 wrote:
    I got into them after I heard Jeff Ament say he liked them in an interview. They're really good.

Dude...do you happen to have a link to said interview!!!!
    3/23/08 Update: Mastodon is still kicking my ass. Anyone know when the new album is supposed to come out?
  • If you like Mastodon, you might also want to check out Baroness.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    If you like Mastodon, you might also want to check out Baroness.
    and if you like both, you may want to grab the new Meshuggah - ObZen.
    Dude...do you happen to have a link to said interview!!!!
    I want to say it was in a rolling stone. Like the back page where they ask an artist to list their 5 current favorite albums or something and jeff mentioned mastodon.

I think he also likes isis (could be wrong but i thought i read he was digging them as well)

Yeah Mastodon & Baroness are both great bands. Kylesa is another interesting metal band from Georgia. I don't think they are as good as mastodon or baroness but they are pretty good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22