Neurosis and Mastodon this weekend

OdinOdin Posts: 599
edited January 2008 in Other Music
This upcoming weekend can't come around fast enough for me. Not too often do I get to see two incredible bands perform in a small venue on back-to-back nights. It's going to be something special to see Mastodon open for their biggest influence, Neurosis. With top-caliber headlining AND supporting acts, this has the potential to be the greatest concert I have ever been to, and I have seen Pearl Jam twice.

Anyone else going? A lot of people on this BBS seem to like Mastodon's music. Any Neurosis fans on here?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    that is pretty damn awesome!
    I can't say i'm a big neurosis fan but i do like some of their stuff i've heard.

you will have to let us know how it is and if either of the guys joins the other band for some songs.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I can't say I know a lot about Neurosis but what I've heard, I've loved. Through Silver in Blood is a stunning album. I also like Mastodon a lot.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • wow! Mastodon and Neurosis!

I love Mastodon but unfortunately when I met them, all but Troy acted like pricks.

Don't actually own any Neurosis but over the years and thanks to various festivals I've seen them twice... good band to see live even if, like me, you're not a fan.

I can think of a better line-up :p Roadburn festival this year has Down, Electric Wizard AND Witchcraft.... I couldn't get tickets. Bastards.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • All my NYC buddies are going to that show. I'm not much into metal, so I'm not going, but I know those are great bands for sure. But I'll be in NYC regardless w00t!
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Hey intodeep......if I bring my camera, maybe I could post links to the videos here and then you can post them on Mastodon's forum for everyone to check out. I'm still unable to log on over there. I guess the mods don't want to activate my new account after all these months.

I've been previewing the concert in my head and pictured Mastodon joining Neurosis on stage for a few songs.....kind of like Tool did for King Crimson (wish I could have been at that concert).

Does anyone know how big the Fort Greene Masonic Temple is? I reckon it can't hold too many people, though I could be wrong since I've never been there. From what I read on another forum, both Thursday's and Friday's shows are all sold-out. It's going to be one helluva weekend!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    that is an awesome line up.

Neurosis - Times of Grace is sooooooooooo good.
    Odin wrote:
    Hey intodeep......if I bring my camera, maybe I could post links to the videos here and then you can post them on Mastodon's forum for everyone to check out. I'm still unable to log on over there. I guess the mods don't want to activate my new account after all these months.

I've been previewing the concert in my head and pictured Mastodon joining Neurosis on stage for a few songs.....kind of like Tool did for King Crimson (wish I could have been at that concert).

Does anyone know how big the Fort Greene Masonic Temple is? I reckon it can't hold too many people, though I could be wrong since I've never been there. From what I read on another forum, both Thursday's and Friday's shows are all sold-out. It's going to be one helluva weekend!

that is odd.

I'd be happy to help out if i can though :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • god im so jealous, 2 of the best metal bands on the planet
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    Upping this one.

Neurosis fucking slaughtered. They are easily the most incredible, intense band I have ever witnessed live. With nearly a dozen albums to their name, they oughta to do an "An Evening With" tour from sea to shining sea. My only complaint about their sets is that they didn't delve into more of their older material from Through Silver In Blood, Enemy of the Sun, A Sun That Never Sets, etc. Nevertheless, they shut it down on both nights and I can't wait to see them again next month in Seattle.

Mastodon's setlist was more well-balanced than Neurosis', IMO, however their actual performance didn't measure up. I still have a hard time getting used to Brent's vocals. The crowd was really into them, though, which is rare for an opening act.

Decided at the last minute not to bring my camera. I haven't taken my camera to any show after that one incident at Rams Head Live. I did see a few videos on YouTube, all of which were of pretty good quality.
  • Mastodon are incredible.

Neurosis are great too.
  • Odin wrote:
    Upping this one.

Neurosis fucking slaughtered. They are easily the most incredible, intense band I have ever witnessed live. With nearly a dozen albums to their name, they oughta to do an "An Evening With" tour from sea to shining sea. My only complaint about their sets is that they didn't delve into more of their older material from Through Silver In Blood, Enemy of the Sun, A Sun That Never Sets, etc. Nevertheless, they shut it down on both nights and I can't wait to see them again next month in Seattle.

Mastodon's setlist was more well-balanced than Neurosis', IMO, however their actual performance didn't measure up. I still have a hard time getting used to Brent's vocals. The crowd was really into them, though, which is rare for an opening act.

Decided at the last minute not to bring my camera. I haven't taken my camera to any show after that one incident at Rams Head Live. I did see a few videos on YouTube, all of which were of pretty good quality.

A sun that never sets=their best album
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    Awesome report thanks.

I hate to say it but in 06/07 i saw mastodon about 5 times or so and they seemed to get worse vocal wise each time. My problem usually was not with troy's vocals but Brents just got worse and worse over time it seemed.

Still love the band though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    My problem usually was not with troy's vocals but Brents just got worse and worse over time it seemed.

Troy, in my opinion, performed pretty well on vocals last weekend. Brent's voice, on the other hand, was kinda messed up. He's a good guitar player, but I don't know if he can go on like this, especially if Mastodon plans on embarking on an extensive tour to support their upcoming release.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
  • W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    I read on the official Mastodon site that they were looking forward to this show to test out a couple of songs from their new album.

Any feedback from somebody who attended this show as to whether or not they actually played anything new would be nice.

Anybody get the setlist? I just want some new Mastodon is that so wrong?
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    For the weekend warriors, one of you must have been to this epic show one week ago come on!!

Is it so wrong to live my life through you few who may/ may not have witnessed new Mastodon live?
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• Odin wrote:

its strange how people like this.......... isn't it just a fat bearded bloke screaming and shouting over a load of noise? :confused: That's all i could make of it anyway :o It kind of makes me laugh but then makes me feel a bit sick after a minute or more........each to their own hey ;)

i guess thats the beauty of everyone having their own opinion on what is good and what they define to be utter shit i suppose :)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
    its strange how people like this.......... isn't it just a fat bearded bloke screaming and shouting over a load of noise? :confused: That's all i could make of it anyway :o It kind of makes me laugh but then makes me feel a bit sick after a minute or more........each to their own hey ;)

i guess thats the beauty of everyone having their own opinion on what is good and what they define to be utter shit i suppose :)

Don't agree, but at least this response was somewhat humourous. By any chance, is your name Simon Cowell?
  • Odin wrote:
    Don't agree, but at least this response was somewhat humourous. By any chance, is your name Simon Cowell?

Im hoping the part you don't agree with is the bit where i said its just a beardy bloke shouting over a load of noise?

And not "i guess thats the beauty of everyone having their own opinion on what is good and what they define to be utter shit i suppose" otherwise we really are all in trouble if you can't agree with the latter!! ;):p

And yes i am Simon Cowell.
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........