Baroness

OdinOdin Posts: 599
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Baroness is one of the more overlooked bands on this forum. I don't recall anyone listing their incredible Red Album as a top album of 2007. Has anyone here even heard of them? Fans of Mastodon and The Sword should like their music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OdinOdin Posts: 599
    [url=mms://www.relapse.com/dbmedia/audio/Baroness]mms://www.relapse.com/dbmedia/audio/Baroness[/url] - The Birthing.mp3

If you don't like that song, you don't like music.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Odin wrote:
    Baroness is one of the more overlooked bands on this forum. I don't recall anyone listing their incredible Red Album as a top album of 2007. Has anyone here even heard of them? Fans of Mastodon and The Sword should like their music.

I mentioned them.

About 2 years ago a buddy of mine told me about them. Checked them out and they killed it live. I was never able to get my hands on their ep's but when i heard they signed to relapse i grabbed the red album the day it came out.

These guys are fucking awesome. They remind me of a cross between mastodon and isis but theydo their own thing for sure.

The best thing about the red album is it keeps getting better with time.

I hope they blow up like mastodon did. I don't know why these guys don't hook up and tour. Savannah is just down the road from the ATL.

Great thread. Great band. These guys deserve more recognition.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Odin wrote:

i've heard of them and have been trying to get my hands on the red album but to no avail...

I shall redouble my efforts!
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    they do deserve more recognition. Red Album is awesome.
    i've heard of them and have been trying to get my hands on the red album but to no avail...

I shall redouble my efforts!

You can order it from Relapse.com

That is where i got mine.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i have their "First" EP and love it but from what i heard of the Red Album i didn't care for the clean vocals. this was a while ago when they put some songs on their myspace in the summer, before the record was released. i actually have been sorta itching to check them out a little more. i need to get the "Second" EP too.
    Mastodon should have Baroness support them on their 2008 tour. It would be a logical choice, I agree.

What appeals to me more than anything else about Baroness are their unique riffs and captivating melodies/harmonies. Everything blends together so well to create an almost magical sound. Admittedly, I haven't checked out their earlier works (all EPs I believe), but I intend to this weekend.
    I'm currently listening to "Teiresias" on the band's myspace page. Holy fuck, does that song rock!
    Some tour dates......more to be announced......

Mar 30 2008 8:00P
    Palladium Worcester, Massachusetts

Apr 1 2008 8:00P
    Blender Theatre @ Gramercy New York, New York

Apr 3 2008 8:00P
    Peabody’s Cleveland, Ohio

Apr 4 2008 8:00P
    Magic Stick Detroit

Apr 5 2008 8:00P
    Reggies Chicago, Illinois

Apr 6 2008 8:00P
    Reggies Chicago, Illinois

Apr 8 2008 8:00P
    Triple Rock Minneapolis, Minnesota

Apr 9 2008 8:00P
    Nutty North Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Apr 10 2008 8:00P
    The Picador Iowa City, Iowa

Apr 11 2008 8:00P
    Sokol Underground Omaha, Nebraska

Apr 12 2008 8:00P
    Bottleneck Lawrence, Kansas

Apr 13 2008 8:00P
    Marquis Theater Denver, Colorado

Apr 15 2008 8:00P
    The Venue Boise, Idaho

Apr 16 2008 8:00P
    Satyricon Portland, Oregon

Apr 18 2008 8:00P
    The Knitting Factory Los Angeles, California

Apr 19 2008 8:00P
    The Glass House Pomona, California

Apr 20 2008 8:00P
    The Clubhouse Tempe, Arizona
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I saw them open for Witchcraft in NYC last month. They were superb and I bought the red album that night. I would go see them again.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    It is on! I'm seeing these guys in Hell tomorrow!

Literally. Seeing them here in Atlanta at the Masquerade. They have three levels and stages hell, purgatory and heaven. Catching Baroness in Hell tomorrow night :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I bought the Red Album on itunes on a whim and was NOT disappointed! These guys rock hard with intricate, heavy, prog-metal thunder. I'm particularly impressed by their drummer. I wish I could get my hands on their EP's.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
    The show delivered the goods last night. Very good live they don't miss anything sound or vocal wise in their live performance.

the crowd was pretty light wich surprised me. Maybe 200 people max it may have been more like 150.

They did not have either of the two ep's :( I so need to get them.

I did pick up the split ep they have out with the unpersons. The two baroness songs on there are very good.

Check them

PS if anyone has the 1 or 2 ep and they want to put it on sendspace you would be my hero. I wanted to buy it because i really like supporting this band but it is out of print and they don't seem to be re releasing it any time soon that i've heard :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    intodeep wrote:
    PS if anyone has the 1 or 2 ep and they want to put it on sendspace you would be my hero. I wanted to buy it because i really like supporting this band but it is out of print and they don't seem to be re releasing it any time soon that i've heard :(

That would be great- if anyone can put this out on sendspace or megaupload, it would be much appreciated.

I know they are playing/ played Gainesville this month. Can't (or, couldn't... I'm too lazy to check the date at this moment) attend, but I'm definitely going to try to catch them next time they tour.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
    intodeep wrote:
    The show delivered the goods last night. Very good live they don't miss anything sound or vocal wise in their live performance.

the crowd was pretty light wich surprised me. Maybe 200 people max it may have been more like 150.

They did not have either of the two ep's :( I so need to get them.

I did pick up the split ep they have out with the unpersons. The two baroness songs on there are very good.

Check them

Thanks for the review intodeep.....I wasn't sure how good Baroness would be in concert as bands in this particular genre, in my experience, tend to be "hit-or-miss." I'll be seeing them in a few weeks, along with Converge, Genghis Tron and the Red Chord.

I also wanted to use this opportunity to say that Clutch brought the house down last night. Easily the best concert I've seen since I saw Pearl Jam in 2005.
    Odin wrote:
    Thanks for the review intodeep.....I wasn't sure how good Baroness would be in concert as bands in this particular genre, in my experience, tend to be "hit-or-miss." I'll be seeing them in a few weeks, along with Converge, Genghis Tron and the Red Chord.

I also wanted to use this opportunity to say that Clutch brought the house down last night. Easily the best concert I've seen since I saw Pearl Jam in 2005.

that is a great line up. That is going ot be a great show!

i'm green with jealousy :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    that is a great line up. That is going ot be a great show!

i'm green with jealousy :D

I'm looking forward to seeing Genghis Tron again. I saw them open for DEP earlier this year and they stole the show, IMO. Converge, though lively, didn't really do too much for me when I saw them open for Neurosis last month. It's too bad that COLISEUM won't be joining the tour until late-April. They kicked all sorts of ass at SXSW last week.