reeferchief got lucky

OdinOdin Posts: 599
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I was going to destroy him in his petty war over semantics.

Before I sign out for the day...

1. When was the last time you heard anyone say "Do the maths"?

2. You are bastardizing your own language. It's spelled m-a-t-h-E-m-a-t-i-c-s. Dumbass.

3. Don't is a contraction for "do not" and therefore requires an apostrophe between the 'n' and 't'.

Asshole.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    1. I'm english, where people say maths all the time you know that little country where the language you speak has come from.
    2. dont does not require an apostrophe, don't, I dont think so.
    3. How petty are you being over others enjoyment on these boards?

4.Exactly.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    1. I'm english, where people say maths all the time you know that little country where the language you speak has come from.

not to support Odin's little rant (god knows he and I rarely see eye to eye) BUT.....

1) I have NEVER heard anyone say "maths"....do the maths???? pretty sure that ain't correct

2) dont definitely does require the apostrophe....don't

:)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The word don't, most certainly does need an apostrophe! You can't really slag someone else's grammar off if you can't get it right either!

And just to pick up on your point number three, these games are ruining a lot of people's enjoyment of the board.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599

Do they use run-on sentences too?

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

Showing omission of letters

Apostrophes are used in contractions. A contraction is a word (or set of numbers) in which one or more letters (or numbers) have been omitted. The apostrophe shows this omission. Contractions are common in speaking and in informal writing. To use an apostrophe to create a contraction, place an apostrophe where the omitted letter(s) would go. Here are some examples:

don't = do not

I'm = I am

he'll = he will

who's = who is

shouldn't = should not

didn't = did not

could've= could have (NOT "could of"!)

'60 = 1960

For every person who DOES enjoy participating in those threads, there are dozens of us who believe those threads take away from our enjoyment of the Other Music section.

Exactly.
    Todd76 wrote:
    not to support Odin's little rant (god knows he and I rarely see eye to eye) BUT.....

1) I have NEVER heard anyone say "maths"....do the maths???? pretty sure that ain't correct

Maths is the term an English person would use, short for mathematics. For some reason Americans seem to drop the S off the end. There are a number of odd things that Americans do with the English language! Another thing I never understood, was the phrase "I could care less". If you are trying to make a point that you don't care at all, surely the correct phrase would be "I couldn't care less"?
    Maths is the term an English person would use, short for mathematics. For some reason Americans seem to drop the S off the end. There are a number of odd things that Americans do with the English language! Another thing I never understood, was the phrase "I could care less". If you are trying to make a point that you don't care at all, surely the correct phrase would be "I couldn't care less"?

hmmmm....thanks, I guess I stand corrected
    Todd76 wrote:

In England it is very much correct and as explained in now closed thread logical, math would = singular, maths would = plural, if all that math consisted of was 0 + 1 then maybe math would work, hence why in English it is maths, mathematics etc more than one.

And yes may I be chastised forever for my lazy mistake with don't my English is getting lazy like the american version, god save me.:eek:
    In England it is very much correct and as explained in now closed thread logical, math would = singular, maths would = plural, if all that math consisted of was 0 + 1 then maybe math would work, hence why in English it is maths, mathematics etc more than one.

And yes may I be chastised forever for my lazy mistake with don't my English is getting lazy like the american version, god save me.:eek:

to be honest "I couldn't care less" about this whole silly argument ;)
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Fuck! ....this is like a Peter North size shot of PWNAGE happening here! :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Cow fart
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Fuck! ....this is like a Peter North size shot of PWNAGE happening here! :p

Ohhh dont you go throwing that little chestnut in.:o

Is Peter North a tall fucker?:p
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Ohhh dont you go throwing that little chestnut in.

Is Peter North a tall fucker?:p

I take it by the :p you know exactly who Mr North is! .......and his claim to fame ;):o .................besides thought the whole thing was rather silly so I just through in the lamest net word PWNAGE :D
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I name a verb, and you name a verb that ends with the same punctuation!
    muppet wrote:
    I name a verb, and you name a verb that ends with the same punctuation!

Ha ha!