Pharoahe Monch - most talented rapper ever

OdinOdin Posts: 599
edited February 2008 in Other Music
No one could match his style and flow. Few (Nas, Pac) could match his lyrics. Talent-wise, Pharoahe Monch > any rapper, Nas included.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I give rappers like Rakim, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap credit for being so groundbreaking and influential. However, Pharoahe Monch took it to the next level with Organized Konfusion and later as a solo artist. Not only was he an incredible rapper (conceptually, lyrically and stylistically), but he could also sing. While Nas is my favourite rapper of all-time, Pharoahe Monch is the most talented rapper of all-time in my opinion.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Odin wrote:
    I give rappers like Rakim, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap credit for being so groundbreaking and influential. However, Pharoahe Monch took it to the next level with Organized Konfusion and later as a solo artist. Not only was he an incredible rapper (conceptually, lyrically and stylistically), but he could also sing. While Nas is my favourite rapper of all-time, Pharoahe Monch is the most talented rapper of all-time in my opinion.

I like Pharaoh Monch as well but he isnt even in the same league as Rakim.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • KRS-One > Rakim > Nas > Pharaoh Monch
    NERDS!
    In terms of raw talent, Pharoahe has the upper-hand due to his versatility and unorthodox style. All four rappers mentioned by South of Seattle are sharp lyrically and have excellent storytelling capabilities. What separates Pharoahe from the rest of the pack is his uniqueness. The others are relatively one-dimensional. To fully appreciate Pharoahe's abilities, you've got to own all of Organized Konfusion's albums along with Pharoahe's solo LPs.

I will say that Pharoahe has had the least successful career out of the four rappers mentioned by South of Seattle, by a long-shot... but that is circumstantial and has nothing to do with talent, or lack thereof.
  • Odin wrote:
    In terms of raw talent, Pharoahe has the upper-hand due to his versatility and unorthodox style. All four rappers mentioned by South of Seattle are sharp lyrically and have excellent storytelling capabilities. What separates Pharoahe from the rest of the pack is his uniqueness. The others are relatively one-dimensional. To fully appreciate Pharoahe's abilities, you've got to own all of Organized Konfusion's albums along with Pharoahe's solo LPs.

I will say that Pharoahe has had the least successful career out of the four rappers mentioned by South of Seattle, by a long-shot... but that is circumstantial and has nothing to do with talent, or lack thereof.

OK I'll throw you this bone. Black Thought of the Roots IMO is more versatile than all of them. And in the end he could be on top, but won't be due to the fact the Rakim, krs, etc were more groundbreaking so to say.

Kinda like most will say Zepp is better than PJ even though there is no "correct" answer.
    NERDS!
    OK I'll throw you this bone. Black Thought of the Roots IMO is more versatile than all of them. And in the end he could be on top, but won't be due to the fact the Rakim, krs, etc were more groundbreaking so to say.

Kinda like most will say Zepp is better than PJ even though there is no "correct" answer.

Black Thought is an incredible MC for whom I have a lot of respect. The first time I saw him perform, in Austin a few years ago, he ripped into a ten-minute freestyle. He also did some improv the other year in Baltimore. Still, I contend that Pharoahe is a more talented rapper. His flow, delivery, wordplay, complexity and uniqueness is better than anybody's.
  • Odin wrote:
    Black Thought is an incredible MC for whom I have a lot of respect. The first time I saw him perform, in Austin a few years ago, he ripped into a ten-minute freestyle. He also did some improv the other year in Baltimore. Still, I contend that Pharoahe is a more talented rapper. His flow, delivery, wordplay, complexity and uniqueness is better than anybody's.

True, but does he release great albums? There were way too many R&B background vocals on his last album. The PE cover was one of the best tracks.
    NERDS!
    True, but does he release great albums? There were way too many R&B background vocals on his last album. The PE cover was one of the best tracks.

I'm talking in terms of pure talent. Just as the most talented sports teams don't always win championships in their respective leagues, the most talented rappers don't always put out the best albums. If that were the case, then Canibus would have been crowned G.O.A.T. ten years ago.

And while Pharoahe doesn't have an "Illmatic," "Paid In Full," or "Criminal Minded" to his name, he does release good albums. All of OK's releases were excellent, as was Internal Affairs. Last year's effort was slightly disappointing, but still better than most of the mainstream crap that has come out post-Rawkus.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Chuck D >>>>>>>> All
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Anyone here heard the British rap group Hijack? They released an incredible album called 'Horns of Jericho' around '91.
    Their main rapper Kamanchi Sly was truely awesome. They weren't around for long, think a lack of success in the States was to blame.
    But I always rated Kamanchi Sly pretty highly. Their DJ Supreme was also very highly regarded at the time.
    I wonder what happened to them?!!!!

As for other great rappers, as mentioned Rakim & Nas. Big fan also of Slick Rick, Kool Keith, Kool G Rap, Q-Tip, Guru Keith E, CL Smooth, KRS-One, Chuck D and of course the 1st rap super star LL Cool J....!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Anyone here heard the British rap group Hijack?

No, but you did an outstanding job of Hijacking this thread.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    BinFrog wrote:
    Chuck D >>>>>>>> All

Not much into Rap, myself.....but decided to take a look/have a listen.

Rakim - yes (thanks)

Pharoah - no (sorry)

Chuck D. - Hell, yes!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • To be honest I'd never heard of pharoahe monch before this thread, and I do consider myself a fairly dedicated rap fan. Anyways, if you guys are mentioning him in the same breath as Nas, Rakim, and Black Thought, I need to check him out. (IMO Black Thought, Nas, Common, and Talib are most talented present-day rappers. No particular order)
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Also, what would anybody recommend as the first pharoahe monch cd I buy? I took a listen and like what I hear, but don't know what to buy. Thanks
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
    Also, what would anybody recommend as the first pharoahe monch cd I buy? I took a listen and like what I hear, but don't know what to buy. Thanks

I would start with Organized Konfusion's second album "Stress: The Extinction Agenda." That album is an old school masterpiece from the early 1990s. Organized Konfusion is a duo comprised of Pharoahe Monch and Prince Po (another gifted lyricist out of Queens). OK's debut and "The Equinox" are also good albums, as is Pharoahe's solo debut "Internal Affairs" which came out in the late 1990s (God, I'm getting old).
    One other thing I like about Pharoahe Monch is that he is one of the few rappers backed by a live band when he performs in concert.