Who else is looking forward to Metallica’s 2008 release?

OdinOdin Posts: 599
edited December 2007 in Other Music
For the first time in a decade, I am optimistic about an upcoming Metallica release. I get the feeling that, with their backs to the wall, they will deliver big-time. They are working with the legendary Rick Rubin on this one and have spent the past few years recording tons of songs in the studio. As Lars mentioned during an interview last year, St. Anger was more of an “experiment” album and now Metallica is going to return to their roots and give the fans what they really want. If Kirk is right and this album brings them back to where they were 15-25 years ago, watch the bandwagon begin to re-load.

For the record, I’m not some pussy that got into Metallica after hearing “Nothing Else Matters” played ad nauseam on MTV and radio. No, my one friend and his older brother introduced me to the band’s first five albums when I was only 11 or 12. And unlike Pearl Jam's fans, Metallica fans recognize the greatness of the band's earlier, heavier works.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Odin wrote:
    For the first time in a decade, I am optimistic about an upcoming Metallica release. I get the feeling that, with their backs to the wall, they will deliver big-time. They are working with the legendary Rick Rubin on this one and have spent the past few years recording tons of songs in the studio. As Lars mentioned during an interview last year, St. Anger was more of an “experiment” album and now Metallica is going to return to their roots and give the fans what they really want. If Kirk is right and this album brings them back to where they were 15-25 years ago, watch the bandwagon begin to re-load.

For the record, I’m not some pussy that got into Metallica after hearing “Nothing Else Matters” played ad nauseam on MTV and radio. No, my one friend and his older brother introduced me to the band’s first five albums when I was only 11 or 12. And unlike Pearl Jam's fans, Metallica fans recognize the greatness of the band's earlier, heavier works.

Believe me, if someone were to call you pussy, I doubt it'd be the gentlemen at this forum :)

The problem with that last thing you said is that unlike Metallica, PJ got better with age :) Of course, enough about talking about bands that are on opposite poles.

About being optimistic, I have nothing to look forward to from metallica. Haven't read anything about the new album...besides, way much better thrash bands out there with a TRUE thrash sound. Thrash is getting stronger every year nowadays. Metallica pretty much did what they had to do in that area already.

Of course, life can surprise you...
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Why would you want Metallica to repeat the same thing they did 15-25 years ago? We've already heard it. The reason they changed their sound so dramatically when they made the Black Album was that they had made the same album three times in a row.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I prefer Metallica's sound from the 1980s to anything they've put out since. Based on interviews I have read, they are looking to return to their thrash roots, incorporate progressive and groove metal elements, and play more solos like they used to. Will it sound exactly the same as their 80s sound? Most likely not. Ideally, they will bring back the heaviness from their "metal up your ass" glory days while remaining fresh. That is what they sound like they are going to do, which leads me to be cautiously optimistic about their upcoming release.
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    I hope they experiment even more on this album, with electronic and techno sounding songs and totally ditch the guitars.

Actually, I don't have my hopes up too high, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'll definitely check it out at least. When is this suppossed to be coming out?
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I don't know about this one. If I took anything from "Some Kind of Monster" it was that their songwriting skills have been completely lost. It was sad watching them write in the studio on that film. Seems like they're just not capable anymore and almost as if they don't know where to go from here.

I'm not holding out much hope here but I am still excited to hear how it sounds. Just keep Kirk away from the mic please

And thank you for finally ditching bob %ock
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    which ones were the same album 3 times in a row? because their first 4 albums were a progession that culminated in an album (And Justice For All) that is probably going to be impossible to top. then they made a quality album that got them into the mainstream. then they made 3 shit albums. but I wouldn't say they ever repeated anything.

but yeah, I'm psyched about the album. Slayer's most recent album was one of their best and they HAVE been doing the same thing pretty much over and over. so if they can still do it, I sure as hell think Metallica can.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Odin wrote:
    I prefer Metallica's sound from the 1980s to anything they've put out since. Based on interviews I have read, they are looking to return to their thrash roots, incorporate progressive and groove metal elements, and play more solos like they used to. Will it sound exactly the same as their 80s sound? Most likely not. Ideally, they will bring back the heaviness from their "metal up your ass" glory days while remaining fresh. That is what they sound like they are going to do, which leads me to be cautiously optimistic about their upcoming release.

Hey, I just chucked another buck in the tin like I do every time I hear," I'm an original fan, they've done nothing good since KEA/Justice/MOP blah blah", and thanks to you I now have enough to buy a brand new SUV, load it up with blondes and beer and spend the next year whooping it up.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I hope you're right odin. I hope it's a good one. I miss the Matallica of old....who doesn't. I thought St. Anger sucked ass.

There was a period of time where I swear I saw them in concert like 12 times. But it was probably more like 5 times. But they are badass in concert when they are on their game.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Metallica have made some great music over the years, but I cant look forward to the new one after listening to St Anger which is the biggest pile of kack ever committed to CD. Plus, Lars Ulrich really is the biggest dick in rock music. If you want to retain any respect for Metallica, avoiding Some Kind Of Monster would be a start!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Load and Reload are great albums. God forbid they would be DIFFERENT! In some ways I think people would be more sick of Metallica if they were still producing thrash stuff. I can't wait for the new album.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I'll get it a shot....I was fine everything up until that single for the Mission: Impossible II soundtrack (worst Metallica song of all time) and St. Anger. I did enjoy watching "Some Kind of Monster".
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I can listen to each Metallica album other than St. Anger and not get pissed off at what I'm hearing. I enjoy each album and think they all have their strong points. I have no problem with the direction the band went with the Black Album and beyond. I think it's a very good album with some great songs on it. Load and ReLoad are good listens for me as well. It all depends on my mood. If I'm wanting something to get me pumped up I'll listen to the great stuff from their first 4 albums which are great. If I'm just looking for something to play in the car, I will probably put on the Black Album or Load. I don't expect them to try to remake Ride the Lightning or any other album for that matter. I just hope whatever direction they choose to go in is the opposite of St. Anger...because it sucked.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Odin wrote:
    If Kirk is right and this album brings them back to where they were 15-25 years ago, watch the bandwagon begin to re-load.

Before St Anger was released they said the same thing about it, that it was a return to harder, longer songs.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Well, I hated St. Anger even though I tried to give it a chance. I hope their new one is more like some of their best instrumental music.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Been waitng for something good since the Black Album...but you all know what happened...Load, Reload and St. Anger were just crappy..hope they get back in track.
  • ii44 wrote:
    Why would you want Metallica to repeat the same thing they did 15-25 years ago? We've already heard it. The reason they changed their sound so dramatically when they made the Black Album was that they had made the same album three times in a row.

I'm with you on this one. It's been done. Build on the past, and pave the road to the future.

Metallica is an okay band IMO. The only thing that bothers me about them is that they take a song, and start it off incredibly...then go absolutely nowhere with it. Examples.....ONE and FADE TO BLACK. When those to songs start off I'm blown away......but by the end I'm bored with it.
    "It's all happening"
    MLC2006 wrote:
    which ones were the same album 3 times in a row? because their first 4 albums were a progession that culminated in an album (And Justice For All) that is probably going to be impossible to top. then they made a quality album that got them into the mainstream. then they made 3 shit albums. but I wouldn't say they ever repeated anything.

but yeah, I'm psyched about the album. Slayer's most recent album was one of their best and they HAVE been doing the same thing pretty much over and over. so if they can still do it, I sure as hell think Metallica can.

Lightning, Puppets, Justice all basically have the same blueprint: Thrasher opener, long epic second song, big ballad on the fourth song, long instrumental at the end, the only real difference is that on Puppets and Justice they closed with a thrasher too. I think the first two are great records, but I think Justice is a bit weak. It has a thin, lifeless sound, the instrumental track is terrible, and most of the songs just aren't up to par from the previous records. It's a pale imitation of their previous two records. It's easy to see why they felt they needed to dramatically alter their sound.
    I'm with you on this one. It's been done. Build on the past, and pave the road to the future.

Metallica is an okay band IMO. The only thing that bothers me about them is that they take a song, and start it off incredibly...then go absolutely nowhere with it. Examples.....ONE and FADE TO BLACK. When those to songs start off I'm blown away......but by the end I'm bored with it.

My complaint is that they do this on the Loads. They sound like they'd be fine by making decent heavy mainstream songs, but then they draw them out way beyond the point they should just to make them seem more... ummm... metal?

Hell, if they'd tightened some of the songs on the Loads up, deleted all the filler, then they'd would have had a pretty good record on their hands.
    holtz wrote:
    Before St Anger was released they said the same thing about it, that it was a return to harder, longer songs.

St. Anger was ok. They need to realize that" long" doesn't always = "good." many of the songs there would be pretty good if they tightened them up, instead of letting them meander on.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    I can't wait to hear Unforgiven III. Haha.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Songburst wrote:

Beat me to it.

Not a huge Metallica fan, but I actually didn't mind stuff from load and reload. I actually find Metallica fans hilarious because they are so hardcore about the early stages of the bands career. Bands that keep making the same records over and over just suck. I have to give Metallica some credit for trying different things, despite the backlash from their "true" fans.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I look forward at having a laugh at how bad it will be
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    ii44 wrote:
    Lightning, Puppets, Justice all basically have the same blueprint: Thrasher opener, long epic second song, big ballad on the fourth song, long instrumental at the end, the only real difference is that on Puppets and Justice they closed with a thrasher too. I think the first two are great records, but I think Justice is a bit weak. It has a thin, lifeless sound, the instrumental track is terrible, and most of the songs just aren't up to par from the previous records. It's a pale imitation of their previous two records. It's easy to see why they felt they needed to dramatically alter their sound.

but you should definitely see a progression among their first 4 albums that eventually culminated in And Justice For All. I think it would have been impossible for them to push the envelope further because several of the Justice songs were too difficult for them to even recreate live.

so they parred it down some and we got the Black album, which I liked as well. I started listening to them somewhere between the MOP and AJFA albums, but I was not one of the fans that disliked the Black album. I was in high school at the time and honestly, I didn't see a huge difference at the time (though I DO see a bigger difference now).

the 2 Load albums though, ugh. I think there's a difference between PROgressing into a different band and REgressing into a different band. I think that was a big sellout point. they were hanging out with the guys from Soundgarden and AIC at that point and I really think they thought they would lose all popularity if they didn't try to go "grunge". there WERE a handfull of songs on those 2 that were *decent*, and I agree with whoever said they should've took the best songs and put them into 1 GOOD album rather than 2 mediocre albums.

as for St Anger, I just flat can't listen to it. I applaud anyone who can. there may actually be some great songs on there, but the production and drums make it unlistenable for me. whoever "produced" that album should not be allowed to produce another album again. and if I'm not mistaken, it was Bob Rock. so I definitely think he may have had the band members (particularly Lars) fuck the production up too much. the drum sound in that album is awful. but I know production shouldn't be a problem with Rick Rubin involved.

PS. I understand the point, but I wouldn't classify "Fade to Black", "Sanitarium", and "One" as 'ballads'. yeah, they start off slower passed, but they are still very much METAL songs and are 100% heavier than what most bands ever put out. "Every Rose Has It's Thorns" was a ballad, those 3 Metallica songs were far from that.
  • Like most of you, I am a longtime Metallica listener and I think they've put out some great music. Unfortunately, I am very doubtful that Metallica will ever make a good album again and I believe that they should put themselves out of their misery and call it quits. Don't get me wrong, I think these guys are awesome musicians and artists but after listening to St.Anger and seeing SKOM, i really don't think that this group of musicians can put out a "listenable" album anymore. They should break up or maybe persue solo careers or start new bands. They need to at least take a break from each other and find other musicians to inspire some creativity in themselves. As I was watching SKOM, it really felt like Lars and James hate each other's guts and Kirk seems frustrated that things never get done. Actually it is Kirk who I am most interested in hearing music done without those guys. Did you ever hear that song he did on the Spawn soundtrack? I thought it was pretty cool, even though it had that techno stuff on it. It would be cool if he did some guitar solo stuff like Joe Satriani or maybe start another band.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • I think they should've quit after Load, which in my opinion was the last listenable CD they put out. Everything from Reload on has been crap. Except for maybe the second disc on Garage, Inc. But even that turned to crap after "So What."

I'll actually give their new CD a chance when it comes out, though. If I'm not impressed, I'm through with the band. Period.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • i can't wait for their new album. I just hope its not like their last three albums, and more like their early stuff.
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Like most of you, I am a longtime Metallica listener and I think they've put out some great music. Unfortunately, I am very doubtful that Metallica will ever make a good album again and I believe that they should put themselves out of their misery and call it quits. Don't get me wrong, I think these guys are awesome musicians and artists but after listening to St.Anger and seeing SKOM, i really don't think that this group of musicians can put out a "listenable" album anymore. They should break up or maybe persue solo careers or start new bands. They need to at least take a break from each other and find other musicians to inspire some creativity in themselves. As I was watching SKOM, it really felt like Lars and James hate each other's guts and Kirk seems frustrated that things never get done. Actually it is Kirk who I am most interested in hearing music done without those guys. Did you ever hear that song he did on the Spawn soundtrack? I thought it was pretty cool, even though it had that techno stuff on it. It would be cool if he did some guitar solo stuff like Joe Satriani or maybe start another band.

That's an interesting thought. I'd like to hear Kirk play with other people too. As quiet as he is, I like him the best. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Songburst wrote:

lmao ! Good one!