Damien Rice - 9(Mini Review)

tremorsinmytreetremorsinmytree Posts: 57
edited October 2006 in Other Music
First off I'd like to thank everyboy on this forum for getting me into Damien and his wonderfull music.

A friend of mine just sent me An EP from the new album and I'll give a little review for you all. His new album is out Nov 14 and is titled "9".

1. 9 Crimes(lead single)- A piano driven ballad That has Lisa singing the first verse, Damien singing the second and the two joining in the chorus. Very catchy tune that will get stuck in your head. Great song.

2. Elephant- A typical Damien song, acoustic ballad. Didn't really like it on the first listen, almost like he was trying for Blowers Daughter Part II but didn't really get there.

3. Me, My Yoke and I - This song really caught me off guard. Very heavy with distorted guitars as well on the vocals, even has Damien screaming a little. A departure for him but I really enjoyed it.

4. The Rat Within the Grain(B-Side) - A very Dylanesque folky sounding song with twangy guitars. I would rather seen this replace Elephant on the album. Very good song.

There ya go, and once again thanks to all.
"I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah AOL had it so you could listen to the whole record this week.

Anyways, I think 9 is an amazing album. I think damien makes just great beautiful music. It isnt really all that intricate or complex like a Tool record or a Dylan song or something, its just great music flat out.

The whole album seems dark and fits in with that post I made awhile back, about how music post iraq war specifically music in 2006 is very dark and depressing.

I think this album is a great followup to his last album, I just hate how he only had 9 or 10 songs per album
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    did you just compare damien rice to tool?
  • its funny how alot of times on this board people dont even really read posts, they just respond.

This is a quote by me "It isnt really all that intricate or complex like a Tool record or a Dylan song or something, its just great music flat out."

The "it" being refered to is Damien Rice's music.

I was saying when listening to damien rice dont expect to be bombarded by complex musical arrangements and odd time signitures. On the contrary, Damien Rice's music is simple, and beautiful.

Not hard to comprehend, but thats just me. This is not philosophical theory here folks!
  • listened to it yesterday. pretty good.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • draperdraper Posts: 39
    I always miss the good stuff. Thanks for this, can't wait to hear it.
    One is too many and a thousand never enough
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    First off I'd like to thank everyboy on this forum for getting me into Damien and his wonderfull music.

A friend of mine just sent me An EP from the new album and I'll give a little review for you all. His new album is out Nov 14 and is titled "9".

1. 9 Crimes(lead single)- A piano driven ballad That has Lisa singing the first verse, Damien singing the second and the two joining in the chorus. Very catchy tune that will get stuck in your head. Great song.

2. Elephant- A typical Damien song, acoustic ballad. Didn't really like it on the first listen, almost like he was trying for Blowers Daughter Part II but didn't really get there.

3. Me, My Yoke and I - This song really caught me off guard. Very heavy with distorted guitars as well on the vocals, even has Damien screaming a little. A departure for him but I really enjoyed it.

4. The Rat Within the Grain(B-Side) - A very Dylanesque folky sounding song with twangy guitars. I would rather seen this replace Elephant on the album. Very good song.

There ya go, and once again thanks to all.

I will be looking out for this album, and a tour would be nice as well.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • anyone who wants to hear these songs can pm me, I may be able to lend a hand