Are You Experienced

eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
edited September 2007 in Other Music
wow. I can't believe it took me this long to discover this album. :eek:

it's magical! :D
"Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love listening to the sessions for that, especially the recording of the title track. The backwards guitar solo, the "right" way around, is just as otherworldly, and you can hear Jimi knew every bit of that tape. Most guitarists who play backwards just twiddle and hope for the best: Jimi was a genius who knew exactly what he was doing.

Hendrix once asked Clapton, "Hey, how come you can't play rhythm?" It's almost impossible to fathom how shocking AYE must have been to young British guitarists in May 1967, who'd considered themselves the cream of the crop but couldn't even begin to get their head around Curtis Mayfield-influenced compositions such as Remember (mistakenly overlooked in terms of its influence). As for Third Stone From The Sun, that was recorded on four track, yet it implies space and textures no other artist with all today's technology at their disposal could start to imagine.

Every track on the original UK release of the album (which featured take 3 of Red House from the December 13th 1966 studio sessions) was like a commandment on how to play guitar, how to use the recording studio as an instrument in its own right and how to conceive an album as an artistic unit. It's in many respects the most important album ever made. Whereas Sgt Pepper was at the centre of the new rock in the sixties, consolidating elements from the Beach Boys, Californian psychedelia and burgeoning British Syd-era whimsy, Jimi's AYE was totally on the vanguard. Absolutely nothing like it had ever been heard before, outside of avant-garde jazz anyway.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Thank God for re-mastered CDs.....just purchased this for meself.....it's loaded in the changer in the car......damn good stuff.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • The original UK version is on OINK. Must be heard by all.
  • can't hold a candle to Electric Ladyland...best album ever IMO.
    "It's all happening"
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    can't hold a candle to Electric Ladyland...best album ever IMO.

Agreed x millions.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • I love listening to the sessions for that, especially the recording of the title track. The backwards guitar solo, the "right" way around, is just as otherworldly, and you can hear Jimi knew every bit of that tape. Most guitarists who play backwards just twiddle and hope for the best: Jimi was a genius who knew exactly what he was doing.

Hendrix once asked Clapton, "Hey, how come you can't play rhythm?" It's almost impossible to fathom how shocking AYE must have been to young British guitarists in May 1967, who'd considered themselves the cream of the crop but couldn't even begin to get their head around Curtis Mayfield-influenced compositions such as Remember (mistakenly overlooked in terms of its influence). As for Third Stone From The Sun, that was recorded on four track, yet it implies space and textures no other artist with all today's technology at their disposal could start to imagine.

Every track on the original UK release of the album (which featured take 3 of Red House from the December 13th 1966 studio sessions) was like a commandment on how to play guitar, how to use the recording studio as an instrument in its own right and how to conceive an album as an artistic unit. It's in many respects the most important album ever made. Whereas Sgt Pepper was at the centre of the new rock in the sixties, consolidating elements from the Beach Boys, Californian psychedelia and burgeoning British Syd-era whimsy, Jimi's AYE was totally on the vanguard. Absolutely nothing like it had ever been heard before, outside of avant-garde jazz anyway.

thank you mr wikipedia, no really, good read.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    I love listening to the sessions for that, especially the recording of the title track. The backwards guitar solo, the "right" way around, is just as otherworldly, and you can hear Jimi knew every bit of that tape. Most guitarists who play backwards just twiddle and hope for the best: Jimi was a genius who knew exactly what he was doing.

this just proves my theory that i developed while spending a week in london. british people worship jimi hendrix, much more so than stateside. any ideas as to why?
  • you really have to listen to Hendrix's albums to fully appreciate him. there was a time when I thought that he was a great guitar player but not really a great guitarist (if that makes sense). I questioned his song-writing and arranging abilities. this was when I was only familiar with Voodoo Child, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze and his other "hits." not that they are bad songs by any means, but I felt they lacked the depth of say Led Zeppelin recordings. but once I got into listening to his albums (ladyland in particular), I realized I couldn't have been more wrong.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • scot88 wrote:
    this just proves my theory that i developed while spending a week in london. british people worship jimi hendrix, much more so than stateside. any ideas as to why?

Um, I hate to pull the race card, but, um, race?

I mean, okay, there were largely white audiences going to Jimi's gigs, back in the day. But Jimi was mainly playing the university arena circuit in the US. Nowadays, the sort of moron who posts comments on YouTube such as "Jimmi (sic) was nothin but an overrated N--"* while championing some steroid-induced fretwanker, sadly seems to suggest, through his ignorance, that Jimi is still ahead of his time as an artist, in certain midwestvilles. (Jimi himself said in an interview he preferred the south to the midwest!)

* I've seen quotes of that sort, a lot. Mind you, I've seen quotes of that sort, about Muhammad Ali, too. People just don't know the greatest when it's there in all its finery.
  • thank you mr wikipedia, no really, good read.

I could write a better Hendrix history than Wikipedia. ;)
  • I could write a better Hendrix history than Wikipedia. ;)

on a side note, I have to say that I actually once hit rock bottom as far as computer geekness is concerned and CREATED a wikipedia entry! god help me. here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomez
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • on a side note, I have to say that I actually once hit rock bottom as far as computer geekness is concerned and CREATED a wikipedia entry! god help me. here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomez

Haha, awesomeness encapsulated, as our lil' Scotch buddy would say. :D
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I love listening to the sessions for that, especially the recording of the title track. The backwards guitar solo, the "right" way around, is just as otherworldly, and you can hear Jimi knew every bit of that tape. Most guitarists who play backwards just twiddle and hope for the best: Jimi was a genius who knew exactly what he was doing.

i thoroughly enjoyed reading that. :D