Gomez ~

edited March 2007 in Other Music
Had a chance to see Gomez at HOB in Cleveland. Amazing show!

For me the band has 2 amazing albums. In our Gun and Liquid Skin. You guys have to check this band out! The sound is something I cannot simply describe, but listen to Hangover, Bring it On, Revolutinary Kind, We haven't turned around, Shot Shot,....amazing shit.

Anyone else into this band? You have NO IDEA what you are missing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I think there is usually a Gomez thread every two weeks or so. The problem is, it only gets like 5 immediate responses and then it dissapears.

I'll say it again though, one of my top 5 favorite bands all time. I personally think they have 4 amazing records along with an unbeatable collection of B-Sides

This band is amazing live as well!!

Definitely still shocked Gomez haven't broken big yet. However, I think ATO might be the best label, pound for pound, out there right now. So they're in good hands
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • GillGill Posts: 56
    I am an enormous fan of Gomez, and saw them twice in portsmouth a few years ago, and they were amazing. Little bit annoyed they've become a bit more commercial and poppy, but i wont now deny (despite my earlier post-rant) that their new album is completely rubbish. it does have some absolute classics, but they are still going too poppy...still though...their earlier stuff if absolutely fantastic, especially the album 'In Our Gun' - amazing stuff.
  • Beleive it or not, I found out about Gomez on NPR (national public radio). They had In Our Gun rated as one of the best albums that year, and played Shot shot, rex, and Detroit Swing..... I was blown away and still am.
    I am so glad I saw them live, even though they only played a few songs from liquid skin and in our gun.
    I'm going to try to keep this thread alive longing the Gomez threads usually last.

My top 10 songs:
    1. Miles End
    2. In Our Gun
    3. Flavors
    4. Love is Better than a Warm Trombone
    5. Catch Me Up
    6. Buena Vista
    7. Pick up the Pieces
    8. All Too Much
    9. Rosalita
    10. Flight

Anybody else?
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    Seen these guys last year opening up for Cake..If I remember right 3 singers in the band? I liiked the dude from the U.K. but the dude with glasses sounds like creed/seven mary three not my cup of tea...
    grimmy
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Going to see Gomez on Saturday. I'm hoping for one kick ass effing show. Ben Kweller is opening too! It's gonna be rad fer shure.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • youamiyouami Posts: 1
    Gomez in Australia this year again - rarely leave - I have seen em for three years in a row and get better live - Out West is a good live album as well. and do possibly some of the best Beatles covers I have heard.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I just ordered their DVD, but havent received it yet. I think it just came out.

I am stuck on the song Tijuana Lady right now.
    Awesome band!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    there latest release is very good. ITs a pity that they get little or no press anymore in the uk and ireland
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    I have seen them 5 times and will probably see them Friday in NY. Great band. Even better live. I saw Ben, Ian, and Tom in NY last year right before the new album came out, it was amazing. Check out ARCHIVE.ORG and search GOMEZ for a bunch of live shows. Hiro ballroom was the one I was at in NY, worth a download!

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• 4Powers20 wrote:
    I have seen them 5 times and will probably see them Friday in NY. Great band. Even better live. I saw Ben, Ian, and Tom in NY last year right before the new album came out, it was amazing. Check out ARCHIVE.ORG and search GOMEZ for a bunch of live shows. Hiro ballroom was the one I was at in NY, worth a download!

Thanks for the archive.org link....
  • Fucking great band, wish I had discovered them earlier, so I could have seen them more live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOS4IDKgXnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgwSsea_QU
  • fada wrote:
    there latest release is very good. ITs a pity that they get little or no press anymore in the uk and ireland

Actually, I think the latest release is their weakest. Very poppy very un-inspired. They might have reached their peak with 'in our gun'. Notice, See the world and how we operate are decent songs on the new album.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Actually, I think the latest release is their weakest. Very poppy very un-inspired.

Gotta disagree. I love their latest album. It's definitely more of a straight ahead bluesy/alt-country style, and they've toned down the experimentalism a bit, but the album still features terrific songs, ingenius little hooks, inspired singing, and gorgeous harmonies. It's obvious that the band wanted to trim the fat a little bit, cut back on the bells & whistles, and just concentrate on songcraft. It's the sound of a confident band making exactly the kind of album they want to make, and I think they succeeded. I saw them live at Sasquatch last year and they must have played at least half the album. The new songs sounded incredible.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    I think Split the Difference is their weakest effort. The record lacks focus and kind of wanders all over the place (not in an enjoyable way)

However "Do One" has a really sweet chorus and "Catch Me Up" is one of their best songs ever. That's the single i was confident would really take off on some radio stations.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I was into Bring it On but then when I heard Liquid Skin I totally wasnt into it. considering you all rate it I suppose I wont be into anyu other of theirs