Led Zep Show

somebodyelsessky2020somebodyelsessky2020 Posts: 1,173
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I was just thinking of the mass crowds that will probably descend on the arena in london. just wondering if the planners of this event are thinking of this or have already thought it out. 20 million plus people want tickets to one show and only 14,500 to be sold. i know myself even with a sold out show i always go to the arena and try and get tickets. so even if a small fraction of the 20 million people attempt this. there is going to be mass chaos out there. probably to the likes that has never been seen before. even if half a million people show up that would be double the amount of woodstock 69.
Oh dear dad
Can you see me now
I am myself
Like you somehow
I'll ride the wave
Where it takes me
I'll hold the pain
Release me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    That's just inasne!!

I wsh they'd just tour.
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    That's just inasne!!

I wsh they'd just tour.
    me too. or find a quaint little arena that will hold 20 million people!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    me too. or find a quaint little arena that will hold 20 million people!
    Heh....as long as it's quaint.

But really, a nice Euro/NorthAmerican tour would be just swell.
  • aNiMaL wrote:

hell yeah it would be!
    no matter where they go it's guaranteed to be chaotic but at least if there were a bunch of dates scheduled there might not be such a mass migration of people all showing up at one place! it's going to be very interesting to see how they planned this thing. are they sealing off part of the city and flying ticket holders in or what?
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • aNiMaL wrote:

So centric, I'm thinking a regional tour of Australia would be much more appropriate. Small rooms like the Great Northern Hotel at Byron.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    They should play one outdoor gig on a 500,000-acre farm/ranch, give 8-12 months notice, and sell admission to every last person who would buy it.

Everyone who wanted to go would have time to plan, save, and travel.

Then they could quit and not tease us with reunions anymore. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    They should play one outdoor gig on a 500,000-acre farm/ranch, give 8-12 months notice, and sell admission to every last person who would buy it.

great idea, then we could all go! and rod fuckin stewart wouldnt hold the record for largest concert crowd ever. (3.5 million, Brazil)
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • it's going to be interesting to see how they pull this off.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • they should play wembley stadium instead. obviously not an intimate setting but i bet it would still sell out easy.
  • snipes824 wrote:
    they should play wembley stadium instead. obviously not an intimate setting but i bet it would still sell out easy.

My brother saw them live at Knebworth in 1979, and says he got the impression that the combination of media espectation of them being a pile of past-it shit, plus a load of fans, made them play a blindingly good gig. Okay, Bonzo's not there now, but I reckon the old fellas would really do a top gig at Wembley Stadium, with V-signs flashing at the cynics.
  • I was just thinking of the mass crowds that will probably descend on the arena in london. just wondering if the planners of this event are thinking of this or have already thought it out. 20 million plus people want tickets to one show and only 14,500 to be sold. i know myself even with a sold out show i always go to the arena and try and get tickets. so even if a small fraction of the 20 million people attempt this. there is going to be mass chaos out there. probably to the likes that has never been seen before. even if half a million people show up that would be double the amount of woodstock 69.

There were over a million people at Woodstock 1969 (the only Woodstock that matters). The official estimates were around 500,000, but we know the authorities at least half crowd estimates.

PS Have you ever been to London? It's surveillance city. Plus: a bunch of straggly haired wankers vs. 10 million commuters in suits? The hippies are going to get killed!
  • it will be the single-most overrated concert of my lifetime....they're just not what they once were. I hope Pearl Jam doesn't pull stunts like this when they are past their prime....nobody wants to see 60-70 year old men reliving their youth! They're should jump on the state fair circuit.
    "It's all happening"
  • it will be the single-most overrated concert of my lifetime....they're just not what they once were. I hope Pearl Jam doesn't pull stunts like this when they are past their prime....nobody wants to see 60-70 year old men reliving their youth! They're should jump on the state fair circuit.
    nobody wants to see them huh? only 20 million for one show and it's for a benefit they don't need to play anywhere and they all are still great. plant might not be able to reach the extreme highs he once did but they are still 3 guys from the greatest rock band of all history..show some respect to your elders.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    nobody wants to see them huh? only 20 million for one show and it's for a benefit they don't need to play anywhere and they all are still great. plant might not be able to reach the extreme highs he once did but they are still 3 guys from the greatest rock band of all history..show some respect to your elders.

the best thing about this is that John Paul Jones will be there to hold the show together - check out some of the footage from the festival he played recently, jammed with ben harper and a few others and he was fantastic!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • The only big question I have is about Bonzo's son. From what I have heard he is an average/good drummer, but his dad is a GOD.

Plant can't bring it like he used to, for sure, but he won't try to either, which will help immensely

Page-can't play like he used to, but it's not like he is gonna suck. Old men can play guitar.

Jonesy will be himself. I dunno if that guy ever hit a bad note. Most tasteful bassist in rock history
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Jonesy will be himself. I dunno if that guy ever hit a bad note. Most tasteful bassist in rock history

agreed!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    I think a tour is a real possibility if the gig goes well.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    ..show some respect to your elders.

Just got a mental image of a grandma spouting this out while waving her index finger! :)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Get_Right wrote:
    I think a tour is a real possibility if the gig goes well.

Plant is working with Alison Krauss so i doubt it. I'm really hoping that even if Plant doesnt stick around, Jones and Page do something together. The best guitar/bass combination in the history of rock
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    edved82 wrote:
    Plant is working with Alison Krauss so i doubt it. I'm really hoping that even if Plant doesnt stick around, Jones and Page do something together. The best guitar/bass combination in the history of rock

I think they might receive some offers they cant refuse if the gig gets good reviews-then we can look forward to another nostalgia tour with $300 seats

it all depends on how the gig goes.
    Get_Right wrote:
    I think they might receive some offers they cant refuse if the gig gets good reviews-then we can look forward to another nostalgia tour with $300 seats

it all depends on how the gig goes.

I'm not sure about that. They dont need the money, and I think that they realise that a golden oldies tour wouldnt exactly do anything for the Zeppelin legacy. Plant and Jones have always been more interested in their own stuff than any Zeppelin reunions, why would that change now? This show is a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun who signed them originally, and obviously meant a lot to the guys. I dont see a tour coming from this show at all, hope i'm wrong though!
  • nobody wants to see them huh? only 20 million for one show and it's for a benefit they don't need to play anywhere and they all are still great. plant might not be able to reach the extreme highs he once did but they are still 3 guys from the greatest rock band of all history..show some respect to your elders.

I respect the hell out of them....but this will only tarnish their legacy....take a lesson from Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, or Van Halen.
    "It's all happening"
  • I respect the hell out of them....but this will only tarnish their legacy....take a lesson from Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, or Van Halen.
    I have to disagree with Bob. I saw him a couple months ago and it was amazing. This coming from someone who didn't particularly like Dylan.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rhinomagic wrote:

you got it
  • aren't they doing a random drawing from the number of people that signed up on their website? I think I heard that somewhere.

*edit* just went and looked. Looks like they were doing tickets by ballot only and the entries are already closed. I would think they would be having some sort of security measures whereby someone can't scalp these tickets. Geeze. I can't even imagine the price. If you could scalp one, you could probably retire or something.
  • I respect the hell out of them....but this will only tarnish their legacy....take a lesson from Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, or Van Halen.

I see eye to eye with you on a lot of music stuff... but you are WAY off base on this one...

first of all, if they dont tour- its a one off show for charity to honor a personal friend of theirs- absolutely NOTHING tasteless about that.

if they do tour- as long as this is the ONLY time... they are band with a fan base of folks born mostly AFTER they played their last show- and even you could go back further to anyone 40 years or younger would have no significant memory of a Led Zeppelin show... and they are getting up there in age... so this could be their last chance to play for their younger fans, but also for themselves.

The other bands you mentioned have toured countless times since they "broke up" or were "over the hill" for different reasons. You could also throw the Who, Kiss, and dozens of others in there.